joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
© The Annual Countdown to May 1st Thread

weatherwiz

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, we're getting there...finally.  Hope that the damn upper trough breaks down.  That kinda reminds me of the summer of 2008 with the non stop severe weather.

I'll be flying back home on 5/1 from the NOAA Satellite Conference in, yeah you guessed it, Maryland!  Luckily not close to Baltimore, but I'll be flying out of BWI (where we had our meetings...sigh...).

And, Paul, I'll be heading out to Norman the end of May/early June for another GOES-R related week long evaluation as a part of the Hazardous Weather Testbed.  So cool!  Will be...interesting...if any severe weather develops while I'm out there.

--Turtle  

Yep, we're getting there...finally.  Hope that the damn upper trough breaks down.  That kinda reminds me of the summer of 2008 with the non stop severe weather.

I'll be flying back home on 5/1 from the NOAA Satellite Conference in, yeah you guessed it, Maryland!  Luckily not close to Baltimore, but I'll be flying out of BWI (where we had our meetings...sigh...).

And, Paul, I'll be heading out to Norman the end of May/early June for another GOES-R related week long evaluation as a part of the Hazardous Weather Testbed.  So cool!  Will be...interesting...if any severe weather develops while I'm out there.

--Turtle  

That's awesome!  Have fun.  Maybe you'll get to see something! 

--Turtle  

I mentioned this in post a while back too... I was almost thinking that last summer wasn't far from that, though the trough never got cool enough in the midriff to become a daily destablization factor.  Anyway...that this summer's base-line pattern might resemble last year as well...

Of course, summarily these longer term May signals look like that idea's promptly filling as fast as the trough, wow. I only thought so because I wasn't seeing much evidence that the global/hemispheric source/sink distribution as different enough, ...we'll see.   

But hear you on 2008... I was actually fond of that experience, despite the coolness.  That was the summer we had the nickle hailer rip up along rt 495 at 60/60 ... It was a mad mad mad ML lapse rate summer.  Everyday was a bonanza of crispy TCU and glaciators ... It was a like Florida:  3pm, boom... if not a watch. 

I mentioned this in post a while back too... I was almost thinking that last summer wasn't far from that, though the trough never got cool enough in the midriff to become a daily destablization factor.  Anyway...that this summer's base-line pattern might resemble last year as well...

Of course, summarily these longer term May signals look like that idea's promptly filling as fast as the trough, wow. I only thought so because I wasn't seeing much evidence that the global/hemispheric source/sink distribution as different enough, ...we'll see.   

But hear you on 2008... I was actually fond of that experience, despite the coolness.  That was the summer we had the nickle hailer rip up along rt 495 at 60/60 ... It was a mad mad mad ML lapse rate summer.  Everyday was a bonanza of crispy TCU and glaciators ... It was a like Florida:  3pm, boom... if not a watch. 

YES, I hear you, John!  So true.  Another one of those seasons with non-stop, draining situations.  I do recall the nickel hail report.  Like this past winter...very exhausting and draining.  Seemed like all we did was eat, sleep and work (12 hour shifts during both blizzards).  I could not get home (only 20 minutes away) in either blizzard, and we almost got stuck at the hotel up the street from the office during the January blizzard with the drifts.  WOW!  Hope you snow weenies enjoyed it.

--Turtle  

heading out to Kansas City next weekend....do I have any shot of severe ?  Every time I go out there in May it seems like every day is sunny and 80  :axe:

You'll probably arrive right after any severe weather. Sometime between May 6th-8th looks like severe threats ramp up from KS into MO.

LOL.

Hey Wiz, this was old video from the big Brockton MA macroburst in May 1996. 100+mph from Brockton-Abington with wind damage from Wrentham to Provincetown. This footage was in Whitman. I missed this storm as I was in a HS track meet down in Taunton, but at least had some damage to come home to, although worst of the damage was on the nrn side of Brockton into Abington and Whitman. Best stuff is after 5:15.

Some of that damage is insane...especially how and where some of those trees are snapped off at the base like that.  Also, just before the 6:00 mark that guy's backyard...or just behind is yard...pretty much no trees left.  

It leveled a town forest in Whitman. I think that footage was part of it. Ironically, it also ripped a bunch of trees up where my folks live now, but just before the house was built. You could see the trees blown over from west to east when I moved in. Was really one storm with a 50 mile long damage path.

It leveled a town forest in Whitman. I think that footage was part of it. Ironically, it also ripped a bunch of trees up where my folks live now, but just before the house was built. You could see the trees blown over from west to east when I moved in. Was really one storm with a 50 mile long damage path.

It's crazy to think about the number of microbursts with 80-100+ mph winds during the mid-90's.  1995, 1996, and 1998...and two of those three years featured 100+ mph.  That's pretty sick.  

In an example like this, I sometimes wonder if TOR's should ever be issued when these signatures are showing.  I know they aren't tornadoes but microbursts/macrobursts can be just as damaging/deadly as tornadoes and can even affect a much larger area.  

Nah you can't issue tornado warnings. That's an entirely different beast even if those were EF-1 winds.

You are right the 90s had good severe for our area relatively speaking. Even early 00s. At least for the Boston area , been a little tame lately.

Hey hey hey...it's May 1st!  Paul's celebration of all things severe.  Happy day to ya!

Depending upon the upper level cold pool from frozen hell, it could be interesting at times.  I'll be interested in seeing what's going on in the Plains during the first week of June when I travel to SPC and take part in the Spring Weather Experiment as a part of the Hazardous Weather Testbed.  If I recall, I was in Kansas City once during severe season (late 1980s as I recall), and saw some cool mammatus clouds but nothing more.  Hmmm...we'll see...

Happy almost summer!

--Turtle (heading home DC this afternoon)

Hey hey hey...it's May 1st!  Paul's celebration of all things severe.  Happy day to ya!

Depending upon the upper level cold pool from frozen hell, it could be interesting at times.  I'll be interested in seeing what's going on in the Plains during the first week of June when I travel to SPC and take part in the Spring Weather Experiment as a part of the Hazardous Weather Testbed.  If I recall, I was in Kansas City once during severe season (late 1980s as I recall), and saw some cool mammatus clouds but nothing more.  Hmmm...we'll see...

Happy almost summer!

--Turtle (heading home DC this afternoon)

Ha ha.  It's like "Uno De Mayo" ... 

It's kind of funny though, that as this faithful day dawned,  pattern-wise, ...the -NAO was in the process of a rapid deconstruction that began in earnest over the latter hours of yesterday; and leads into today being the beginning of a transition ... headlong into an new paradigm. The source(s) for what air masses are most likely to play a role in modulating events over the NE sector of the CONUS is different than anything ...really since last summer.   Anyway, it all chose to happen on May 1.  interesting... 

I know that this is below SPC's consideration but there could be some convection near-by on Tuesday, particularly if that boundary slows some .. .which I think is possible considering the longer term trend is to strengthen higher heights S of NE.  Slowing boundaries no impossible.  

It's crazy to think about the number of microbursts with 80-100+ mph winds during the mid-90's.  1995, 1996, and 1998...and two of those three years featured 100+ mph.  That's pretty sick.  

In an example like this, I sometimes wonder if TOR's should ever be issued when these signatures are showing.  I know they aren't tornadoes but microbursts/macrobursts can be just as damaging/deadly as tornadoes and can even affect a much larger area.  

Nah you can't issue tornado warnings. That's an entirely different beast even if those were EF-1 winds.

You are right the 90s had good severe for our area relatively speaking. Even early 00s. At least for the Boston area , been a little tame lately.

Yeah, a lot of times you can't get solid lead time on a downburst. Like near Springfield last year, that signature didn't really pop until it had already collapsed. Those would probably carry a higher false alarm rate than tornadoes already do.

That said, I have seen offices west of here issue TORs for significant bow echoes moving into populated areas that have the potential to produce spin ups anywhere along the leading edge. I understand the mentality, but I also think that leads to more public confusion than there already is.

Archived