• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
© The Annual Countdown to May 1st Thread

weatherwiz

Do we actually get severe in May? I thought it was more like July.

Not very often...typically moreso across PA, NY and into extreme western MA and CT.  

But the best time period is from about the second week of June through about the second week of July or so.  After the second or even 3rd week of July activity begins to decline.  Could be due to the fact that as we enter deep into the heart of summer not only is the STJ weakened but it's further north into Canada...this is when ME usually gets clobbered...late June through mid-to-late August.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also congrats Memorial Day as the busiest period for SNE.

post-44-0-74285000-1425054157_thumb.png

post-44-0-56576300-1425054168_thumb.png

I find the statistics interesting up here. Anecdotally we've always said the first big event is usually Memorial Day, and inevitably the Lakes Region always gets hammered near the 4th. Sure enough those match our busiest SVR and TOR periods pretty well.

The CT River Valley in SNE averages about 9-10 Severe Thunderstorm watches per year, but that increases to 12-14 per year once you get into the mid-Hudson Valley. Tornado watches are about one on average per year NW of I-95 in SNE and two over toward the Catskills.

20ysvra.png

20ytora.png

If you ever need a partner im down! lol would hope we would have better luck then Earl though  :santa:

Same...1) I hope I'm in a better mindset come spring.  I've been a disaster this winter and 2) My hope is I will have a car by May..that's what I'm aiming for so then I can go out myself!!!

• 2 weeks later...

http://news.weathernationtv.com/2015/03/15/big-tornado-season-around-corner/

Although this says nothing about what we will have in our neck of the woods it is an interesting read. I personally do not believe that the this year will be big.

I put very little stock into what he says.

Where's this phantom trough idea? The Euro weeklies don't have it. They show a fairly zonal regime by mid to late April. If anything, some modest height anomalies from the southern Plains to Appalachia. His best friend the CFS is fairly zonal mid-month and shows eastern troughiness re-establishing by April week 4.

Nothing too favorable for a severe pattern change. Could there be a few April events like last year? Sure, but this pattern does not remotely come close to comparing to 2011.

Better analogs are 2010 and 2014 where severe was a dud until the final week of April.

Thankfully for us, severe doesn't begin ramping up until later in May.

This is for complete and utter muse and/or fantasy ... but from 336 to 384 hours on the operational, 00z GFS, that would be an awesome pattern from the OV-NE regions.  

You have a quasi-stationary baroclinic axis that has repositioned SW to NE from roughly IL-St. Law. Sea Way, with periodic waves of low pressure and mid level wind maxes zipping along it.  The region from OH to central New England, albeit anomalous for April, would be getting late May DP, temps around 70 (sun permitting) and thunderstorms..

But again... 330+ hours on the GFS  - all it does is reminds us that at least we are heading toward those sorts of potentials and not away.   

This is for complete and utter muse and/or fantasy ... but from 336 to 384 hours on the operational, 00z GFS, that would be an awesome pattern from the OV-NE regions.  

You have a quasi-stationary baroclinic axis that has repositioned SW to NE from roughly IL-St. Law. Sea Way, with periodic waves of low pressure and mid level wind maxes zipping along it.  The region from OH to central New England, albeit anomalous for April, would be getting late May DP, temps around 70 (sun permitting) and thunderstorms..

But again... 330+ hours on the GFS  - all it does is reminds us that at least we are heading toward those sorts of potentials and not away.   

Even if fantasy, it's GREAT to start seeing these types of patterns modeled!!!  Another indicator we are getting closer to severe wx season

You have a quasi-stationary baroclinic axis that has repositioned SW to NE from roughly IL-St. Law. Sea Way, with periodic waves of low pressure and mid level wind maxes zipping along it. The region from OH to central New England, albeit anomalous for April, would be getting late May DP, temps around 70 (sun permitting) and thunderstorms..

But again... 330+ hours on the GFS - all it does is reminds us that at least we are heading toward those sorts of potentials and not away.

:weenie: :weenie: :weenie:

Archived