• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
© The Annual Countdown to May 1st Thread

weatherwiz

Well it's that time of the year again to begin the annual countdown to the beginning of New England severe season.  With winter not really off to a hot start for a good chunk of people, particularly, and the upcoming week seemingly having fading hopes, it's probably time to just turn our attention towards the warmer months.  Hopefully we can cash in during the second half of January and beyond but right now this is just a big fat poop.  

Last season wasn't particularly great overall in terms of being active, however, we did have a few decent events occur along with a few interesting setups.  Hopefully this upcoming season is more active in nature and also with more widespread events as opposed to the more isolated in nature events.  

What will this season bring?  We'll find out.  

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The countdown begins :)

Last season wasn't much better down here. Here's to what I hope is a better svr season around these parts. 

I just can't believe how close away it is.  I mean this month is almost half over, then February is only 28 days...March is long but April can be fun sometimes too (particularly across NY/PA).  But it will go by really fast...school resumes in a few weeks and it's a loaded schedule and final semester at community college before I get an associates and prepare for WCSU in the fall.  Always great having a busy schedule to make time go faster.

I don't expect April 1974 but a gusty t-storm would be nice. Brutal year for storms in E MA

I would kill for another summer of 2008 pattern.  That's the type of pattern you want to get storms to survive all the way to the coast and even to get some nasty storms at night (outside of EML's of course).  The period from early June to early August was insane.  

We get like 90 threads each winter saying "oh this period looks great for a storm" or "we will get x-x-and-x b/c so-and-so looks good"...if every winter acted like so many people posted I would average 80''.

% of x storm warning fails to severe T storm warning fails is what I mean. Severe fails dominant by far

% of x storm warning fails to severe T storm warning fails is what I mean. Severe fails dominant by far

people judge convection incorrectly...when it comes to convection everything has to be severe or it's a fail...if that's the case than why shouldn't snow be judged the same...anything under a winter storm warning is a fail??:

But there is nothing better than an isolated severe storm in the Litchfield Hills that the TV stations break into programming for

Eh, we try to be more judicious about breaking in than one of the other stations in the market. A lot goes into the decision including... what's on TV at the time, the amount of people impacted, the strength of the storm, etc. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived