SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 11-12 Snow/Mixed Precip

Hoosier

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

00z NAM brought the 0.25" line widespread across LOT. 2-4 solid call.

Expecting WWAs up after 00z suite.

I think stall potential of the band and amounts to 4-5" are both possible, but I'm not sure the midnight shift will pull the trigger on a WWA. Could definitely see needing one, but it might not be issued til tomorrow morning. With typical advisory criteria 3-5", we'll have to hone in on the areas most likely to get that since the snow is falling on a Sunday night and there likely will be no blowing/drifting issues.

Also, what a cutoff on the northern end of the precip on the 00z 12 km and 4km NAM, though that's quite common in these setups.

00z NAM is actually a bump south on the northwest edge here.  Went from 0.25" with the 18z to 0.10" on the new run.  Nothing at all about 30 miles north.  Too close to call.

The amounts within the main part of the swath expanded slightly NW, but yeah, a very nasty cut-off on the edge this run...

I think stall potential of the band and amounts to 4-5" are both possible, but I'm not sure the midnight shift will pull the trigger on a WWA. Could definitely see needing one, but it might not be issued til tomorrow morning. With typical advisory criteria 3-5", we'll have to hone in on the areas most likely to get that since the snow is falling on a Sunday night and there likely will be no blowing/drifting issues.

Also, what a cutoff on the northern end of the precip on the 00z 12 km and 4km NAM, though that's quite common in these setups.

I see...low-impact event due to the timing of the event, and major uncertainty given sharp gradient. Radar trends tkmorrow I suppose will be the key, and as you said-- wherever that band sets up and stalls.

At least we didn't post the exact same map (time). :lol:

Haha

Was trying to figure out why the RGEM/GGEM are doing that and I'm not really sure.  There are some hillier areas/elevation changes in some of that area farther south but I don't think that explains it.  I think the models are just trying to tell us that temps are going to be borderline. 

It would be pretty funny to see it play out like that in real-time.

Haha

Was trying to figure out why the RGEM/GGEM are doing that and I'm not really sure.  There are some hillier areas/elevation changes in some of that area farther south but I don't think that explains it.  I think the models are just trying to tell us that temps are going to be borderline. 

Can't say I've ever seen that actually happen, as presented by the RGEM, but yeah why not...first time for everything. :D

I see...low-impact event due to the timing of the event, and major uncertainty given sharp gradient. Radar trends tkmorrow I suppose will be the key, and as you said-- wherever that band sets up and stalls.

If I were making the decision, I likely would issue though, and go Cook, DuPage, Kane and south. And also not ruling out that they go with one on the midnight shift. Positive trends so far from the 00z GFS.

Haha

I think it was the NY storm - I remember those p-type maps were whacky and showing ZR here even though sfc temps were like 35. Haven't seen the the full data on 0z yet so not sure if it really makes sense.

Archived