Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
1/7 - 1/9 Clipper system

SpartyOn

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

~80 car pile-up in western MI on I-94 earlier today and a ~40 car one this afternoon on US-23 south of AA

The I-94 one also included a truck that was carrying fireworks that caught on fire...giving us this video

http://video-embed.mlive.com/services/player/bcpid1949050400001?bctid=3980003255001&bckey=AQ~~,AAAAQBxUr7k~,PsMaWpexSO1o2JBTRvXgK2F46WvPiWEP

Here is another video as the accident was happening:

I wonder what that looked like from drivers' point of view (visibility, etc), because it almost looks like they were just driving along without making much attempt to stop.  Maybe didn't see what was going on until the last instant. 

Despite the varying snow depths pre-clipper and the varying squalls post-clipper, the clipper itself was one of the most uniform snowfalls you will ever see across southeast Michigan.

I know this pattern is right up your alley... :lol:

Despite no big storms (as things stand now), there's relatively uniform snowcover/depth now across the region with several opportunities to slowly build upon it and no thaws in sight...

I wonder what that looked like from drivers' point of view (visibility, etc), because it almost looks like they were just driving along without making much attempt to stop.  Maybe didn't see what was going on until the last instant. 

They were driving too fast for the conditions. It is pretty obvious that they were going at least 55mph in near white out conditions when they were slamming into essentially a brickwall of smashed semis.

I know this pattern is right up your alley... :lol:

Despite no big storms (as things stand now), there's relatively uniform snowcover/depth now across the region with several opportunities to slowly build upon it and no thaws in sight...

Yup. Obviously i want a big storm but this pattern of snowcover, cold, and daily snowfall is a trillion times better than December.

In addition to last nights 2.9" snowfall, I picked up an additional 0.4" with todays squalls and its still snowing. DTW picked up 0.5" in the squalls after the 2.8" from the clipper.

It is just now trying to stop spitting snow as temps fall toward 0F

We picked up 0.5" of snow in the LES showers today, added to the 2.9" from the clipper the Jan 8/9 total is 3.4" of snow on 0.18" liquid.

At DTW, 0.6" of snow fell in the showers, added to the 2.8" from the clipper that also gives them 3.4".

Ended up with 4" of snow total here including the LES. Got a but lucky and sat under a heavier band for about an hour during the early afternoon that pushed us over the hump. Have probably 5" of depth or so with the settling, but there is quite a bit of drifting.

First 3"+ event locally so far this winter.

Archived