SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter 2014-2015 Thread Part 2

klw

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Light snow winding down.  Didn't even bother to measure but not more than 1".   We have about 6" on the ground.  The powder from a week ago which is covered by a glaze of ice.  Then a couple of inches from the other day and the one from today.  At least the ground is white so it looks like winter.  Now just boring and cold.  Can really start to notice the sun angle coming back.  Within a couple more weeks the southern snow banks will start to slowly get eaten away.  Wish we had about half a foot more for the snowmobilers.

Brian your new lens is definitely sharper. For the price of a Netcam I find the way you have sharpen the lens a real pain and its real sensitive.  My picture is slightly overexposed now but its difficult to get the right exposure, especially with the bottom part being all white with snowcover.

I like that the clouds are shown now

The goal was to have more sky than ground/trees showing, but the sun on the western horizon was just too much. I had to angle the camera down low enough to the top of the trees. Hopefully the auto iris will help with the late sun issues. If not, I'll need to raise the camera up and angle the cam downward. We'll see. I like the image so far.

The goal was to have more sky than ground/trees showing, but the sun on the western horizon was just too much. I had to angle the camera down low enough to the top of the trees. Hopefully the auto iris will help with the late sun issues. If not, I'll need to raise the camera up and angle the cam downward. We'll see. I like the image so far.

why do I get the feeling you would shoot Lisa if she made big footprints across your lawn snow. I think there's some Kevin OCD going on there.lol

Event totals: 3.2” Snow/0.32" L.E.

There was 2.8" of additional snow today, and combined with this morning's accumulation it's coming in right at a density of 10% H2O for the storm overall.  There's still a bit of moisture being pumped into the area according to the radar, so there should be a little more to report tomorrow morning:

12JAN15A.gif

In any event, this is the deepest the snowpack has been here at the house since back in mid December.

Details from the 9:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 2.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.27 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.4

Snow Density: 9.6% H2O

Temperature: 25.2 F

Sky: Light snow (2-15 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 8.5"

why do I get the feeling you would shoot Lisa if she made big footprints across your lawn snow. I think there's some Kevin OCD going on there.lol

lol...

I had to replace the batteries in my Davis ISS the other day. I walked along the back of the house, quickly to the side of the yard, and then took the shortest path to the station. Then I repeated my footprints back.

I love playing in the snow...just not imby though. lol

lol...

I had to replace the batteries in my Davis ISS the other day. I walked along the back of the house, quickly to the side of the yard, and then took the shortest path to the station. Then I repeated my footprints back.

ha, I am OCD with leaves on top.

Wow it snowed more than I thought up here last night...another 2.5" at 1500ft, for 5.4" storm total. Groomer who checked High Road is saying storm total of 8" as the top got lit up last night with fluffy orographic snows.

Had another 1.5" of fluffy fluff on top of the beach cooler at home, so total there is 4.1".

Oh and holy crap it got cold quickly.

-12F at the summit, -8F at the base, and -4F in town. Windy to boot.

Wow it snowed more than I thought up here last night...another 2.5" at 1500ft, for 5.4" storm total. Groomer who checked High Road is saying storm total of 8" as the top got lit up last night with fluffy orographic snows.

Had another 1.5" of fluffy fluff on top of the beach cooler at home, so total there is 4.1".

Oh and holy crap it got cold quickly.

-12F at the summit, -8F at the base, and -4F in town. Windy to boot.

Another .5" to get me to around 4" total.  The temp did drop pretty quickly.  It was 20° when I went to bed at 11:00 and -3° when I left for work at 7:00.  I see KMPV dropped down to -7°.  Wintry out there.

Event totals: 3.6” Snow/0.33" L.E.

Yesterday's storm finished up with an additional 0.4" of champagne after 9:00 P.M.  With the influx of this most recent snow, season snowfall is at 86.7% of average, and January snowfall has been progressing somewhat slower at just 68.2% of average.  Although not directly correlated, current snowpack depth is following a similar trend and is at 72.6% of average.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 40.0

Snow Density: 2.5% H2O

Temperature: -4.0 F

Sky: Clear

Snow at the stake: 8.5"

Vermont ski area totals for this most recent storm are listed below north to south; the numbers were a bit up and down, but there is the typical trend seen with these types of systems of higher totals in the northern and central resorts vs. the southern resorts:

Jay Peak: 10”

Burke: 7”

Smuggler’s Notch: 5”

Stowe: 8”

Bolton Valley: 7”

Mad River Glen: 12”

Sugarbush: 7”

Middlebury: 8”

Suicide Six: 2”

Pico: 5.5”

Killington: 5.5”

Okemo: 4”

Bromley: 4”

Stratton: 3”

Mount Snow: 5”

The next two snow opportunities this week appear to be northern stream systems in the Thursday/Friday and Sunday/Monday timeframes.  Related text from the BTV NWS forecast discussion is below:

AS OF 400 AM EST MONDAY...FRIDAY WILL SEE A CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS AS AN UPPER LEVEL ARCTIC TROUGH WILL PUSH A BURST OF ENERGY INTO NORTHERN NEW YORK AND NORTHERN NEW ENGLAND. THE PROHIBITING FACTOR HOWEVER IS THAT NEITHER THE GFS OR THE ECMWF ARE SHOWING MUCH IN THE WAY OF 1000-500MB MOISTURE SO EXPECTED SNOW FALL WILL BE LIMITED. THE ASSOCIATE SURFACE LOW AND COLD FRONT WILL STRUGGLE WITH LIMITED MOISTURE SOURCES UNDER NORTHWEST FLOW. THE FRONT SHOULD BE ENOUGH TO GENERATE 1-2" WITH THE MOST LIKELY SCENARIO BEING SNOW SHOWERS IN THE HIGHER TERRAIN. THE ECMWF HAS COME MORE IN LINE WITH THE GFS ON THIS SOLUTION.

BOTH THE GFS AND ECMWF ARE HINTING AT ANOTHER UPPER LEVEL LOW AND ASSOCIATED COLD FRONT THAT WILL PASS THROUGH THE AREA SOME TIME SUNDAY EVENING INTO MONDAY MORNING BUT WITH LARGELY DIFFERENT SOLUTIONS ON BOTH TIME AND INTENSITY HAVE LEFT JUST WORDING OF CHANCE POPS ON SUNDAY AND MONDAY EARLY MORNING.

Just 1.2", more than some stations to my NW but 1/2 to 1/3 of what fell in all other directions - no big thing on these teeny events.  Temp at 6:45 was -2 with a nice breeze.  Cheap 9 PM high of 21, though, while I expect the afternoon high in the 10/15 range.  06z gfs has 0.00" qpf thru D8.  And the beat goes on...

lol...

I would luv to leave some snowmobile tracks in your back yard................. :)

Rode about 20 miles sunday just around here, Trails are way to thin, But went to the pond to put some miles on the sled for break in

Sounds like it's running good. Would like to ride this wknd, but another practically snowless week won't help. The only places I know where they're grooming is rangeley, eustis, jackman and northern part of the County and it's not great riding, but better than nothing. We're one good storm (>6") away from opening a lot of trails state-wide.

Archived