Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: -11.0 F

Sky: Clear

Snow at the stake: 19.0"

It looks like the next chances for snow are in the midweek and weekend timeframes:

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

357 PM EST MON FEB 16 2015

MODELS IN GOOD AGREEMENT IN SHOWING AN UPPER TROUGH APPROACHING THE REGION FROM THE GREAT LAKES WEDNESDAY AND WEDNESDAY NIGHT. ALSO...MODELS ALSO SHOW AN INVERTED TROUGH DEVELOPING ALONG THE MAINE COAST AND HEADING NORTHWEST INTO VERMONT ON WEDNESDAY WHICH WILL ENHANCE THE CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS ON WEDNESDAY AND WEDNESDAY NIGHT. MODELS SHOW THE HIGHEST QPF WITH THIS TROUGH WILL BE OVER WESTERN MAINE.

OVER THE WEEKEND WE`LL ALSO SEE A CHANCE FOR SOME LIGHT SNOW AS ANOTHER CLIPPER SYSTEM SKIRTS ALONG THE INTL BORDER SATURDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH SUNDAY.

A female hiker died yesterday/last night hiking the Presidential Range.  Husband dropped her off yesterday AM to hike several of the Presidential peaks.  Anyone looking at any forecast would know the summits would have hurricane conditions and temperatures -20F  or below.  That was about as stupid as the Coast Guard rescuing 2 men from a sinking 34 foot sailboat south of Nantucket yesterday AM.

Even though we haven't seen the bonanza of snow that SNE has in the last few weeks, we still have quite a bit out there.  The drifting is pretty outrageous too.  A friend and I decided to take advantage of the rare combo of no work, no kids and good snow to do some snowmobiling yesterday.  Probably should have waited until groomers had gone through. 

post-363-0-13737100-1424177244_thumb.jpg

post-363-0-48517400-1424177270_thumb.jpg

Since I'm not a good photographer, these don't really give a great idea of how deep I got this snowmobile stuck.  It took us almost 2 hours to get it out and it left a big hole on the side of the trail.  The drifts I was trying to avoid were nearly 4 ft deep. 

Even though we haven't seen the bonanza of snow that SNE has in the last few weeks, we still have quite a bit out there.  The drifting is pretty outrageous too.  A friend and I decided to take advantage of the rare combo of no work, no kids and good snow to do some snowmobiling yesterday.  Probably should have waited until groomers had gone through. 

attachicon.gifStuck 1.JPG

attachicon.gifStuck 2.JPG

Since I'm not a good photographer, these don't really give a great idea of how deep I got this snowmobile stuck.  It took us almost 2 hours to get it out and it left a big hole on the side of the trail.  The drifts I was trying to avoid were nearly 4 ft deep. 

that sucks. It's easy to get sucked off the trail in the powder. You guys must have been pretty sweaty and cold after all that work.  Good thing you weren't riding alone. One reason why I opted to go to work. Just too cold.

that sucks. It's easy to get sucked off the trail in the powder. You guys must have been pretty sweaty and cold after all that work.  Good thing you weren't riding alone. One reason why I opted to go to work. Just too cold.

We were lucky in that we had crossed a road about 2 miles back that my buddy's cousin lived on, so he went down and got a couple of shovels.  If I had been alone, the sled would still be there.  I hunkered down on the low side, out of the wind and ran it off and on so I could use the hand warmers.  We should have known it wasn't going to be an easy day when my buddy got his sled stuck in my yard when we were leaving.  I'm a pretty conservative rider, as evidenced by the "mini-van" of a sled that I drive, but things can wrong at any time.  Had to notify the local club that we left a big hole in the trail, hopefully no one drives into it.

A couple friends and I went to Crawford Notch yesterday morning intending to hike Mt Pierce and Eisenhower. Higher summit forecast of winds exceeding 60 mph and exceptionally dangerous wind chills prompted us to seek a Plan B, which in this case was Mt Willard.

We parked at the Highland Center, which is located in an open area. The wind was absolutely howling through there. I didn't check the wind speed with my Kestrel, but I did record a -40F wind chill and a -9F air temp. Hard to imagine conditions at 4k+. In the end we stayed pretty warm and had a nice view down Crawford Notch from the summit cliffs. :)

20150216_094907_zpssg4ffsa8.jpg

20150216_095903_zpsdydzxnl8.jpg

20150216_104739_zpslazilfs2.jpg

20150216_105206_zpsjtahbgdx.jpg

A couple friends and I went to Crawford Notch yesterday morning intending to hike Mt Pierce and Eisenhower. Higher summit forecast of winds exceeding 60 mph and exceptionally dangerous wind chills prompted us to seek a Plan B, which in this case was Mt Willard.

We parked at the Highland Center, which is located in an open area. The wind was absolutely howling through there. I didn't check the wind speed with my Kestrel, but I did record a -40F wind chill and a -9F air temp. Hard to imagine conditions at 4k+. In the end we stayed pretty warm and had a nice view down Crawford Notch from the summit cliffs. :)

20150216_094907_zpssg4ffsa8.jpg

20150216_095903_zpsdydzxnl8.jpg

20150216_104739_zpslazilfs2.jpg

20150216_105206_zpsjtahbgdx.jpg

I assume you heard about the hiker that died?

Did she really think she was going to summit eisenhower, madison and washington? I wonder where her husband went after dropping her off.

I think I read she was attempting the Northern Presies (Madison, Adams, Jefferson and Washington). That's a stout hike in summer conditions. I know nothing about her - maybe she had lots of experience in extreme conditions. Still, doing that alone was simply a bad bad idea.

the article said she was dressed in down and had wind guards...however, with winds sustained hurricane force, and a windchill of -88, it doesn't matter what you wear, the body can't handle it...

this is a tragic ending...makes me wonder the logic she and her husband used to come to the conclusion that a traverse of the presidentials was safe and doable

the article said she was dressed in down and had wind guards...however, with winds sustained hurricane force, and a windchill of -88, it doesn't matter what you wear, the body can't handle it...

this is a tragic ending...makes me wonder the logic she and her husband used to come to the conclusion that a traverse of the presidentials was safe and doable

Actually this gets me angry.  I'm sorry she didn't make it but when her husband dropped her off the area had wind chill warnings, winter storm warnings with blizzard warnings just to the east.  It's public land but I feel that in certain very harsh conditions the trails should be closed.  Why should I pay my tax dollars and why should search party risk their lives for idiots like her.  The conditions were pure insane.

Apparently she was in to adventure.  I have no problem with that but putting the lives of those who tried to rescue her at risk is awful.

http://nypost.com/2015/02/17/new-york-hiker-freezes-to-death-in-new-hampshire-mountains/

If she had a pack like that in the pic, surface area times windspeed (squared) may have resulted in her being violently pitched off the trail into a rockpile.  All the warm clothing in the world is no defense against a hard landing. 

If she had a pack like that in the pic, surface area times windspeed (squared) may have resulted in her being violently pitched off the trail into a rockpile.  All the warm clothing in the world is no defense against a hard landing. 

just goes to show how deadly even a relatively low elevation hiking area can be. She probably figured she had climbed Kilimanjaro, so Wash was a cake walk.

Archived