Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter 2014-2015 Thread Part 2

klw

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bangor is deep

..BANGOR MAINE TIES ALL TIME HIGHEST SNOW DEPTH RECORD...THE SNOW DEPTH AT BANGOR INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT AS OF 7 AM WAS53.0 INCHES. THIS TIES THEIR ALL TIME RECORD HIGHEST SNOW DEPTHTHAT WAS PREVIOUSLY SET BACK IN THE WINTER OF 1969.

Matches up well with my avatar............... :snowing:

4.4" since 7am yesterday (Sunday) and up to 15.6" for the month.

The snowpack has settled as fast as the snow has fallen over the past few days so haven't really added a whole lot depth-wise.  Obviously it's all been cold, dry and at times, very fluffy snow recently so the setting is to be expected.

Just light grains this morning as we seem to be on the northern edge of the radar returns.

Wow at the Bangor snow depth.  The deepest I've gotten here was 49/50" back in '08 and that was pretty intense.  Tunnel life.

Event totals: 6.5” Snow/0.46" L.E.

I was awake and ran a midnight round of snow analyses, but it doesn’t look like it was really necessary – that round of the snow was the densest yet at 14.3% H2O, so it wasn't likely to settle, and there was only an additional trace of snow during the 12:00 A.M. to 6:00 A.M. period.  Detailed data from the analyses are below:

Details from the 12:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.10 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 7.0

Snow Density: 14.3% H2O

Temperature: 15.4 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 20.0"

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: Trace

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 14.4 F

Sky: Cloudy

Thanks to this storm, snowfall remains a few inches ahead of average on the season at our site according to my data.

I've done my best to try and update snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas for Winter Storm Marcus; north to south listings are below.  The totals are generally a few inches higher in the southern half of the state, but it's not a huge difference and totals are generally in the 1 foot range plus or minus a few inches at this point:

Jay Peak: 12”

Burke: 7”

Smuggler’s Notch: 9”

Stowe: 9”

Bolton Valley: 9”

Mad River Glen: 9”

Sugarbush: 12”

Middlebury: 4”

Pico: 12.5”

Killington: 12.5”

Okemo: 10”

Bromley: 13”

Magic Mountain: 8”

Stratton: 12”

Mount Snow: 14”

BTV reduced us to an advisory and the total amounts are 4-6 at best for the event with only an inch or so today.

Updated maps are below:

09FEB15A.jpg

09FEB15B.jpg

We had the freezing drizzle earlier with single digits mixed with diamond dust like flakes. it was actually causing ice pillar optics in headlights for bit. We are at 3 inches for this event thus far. Snow depth is between 10-11 inches.

Loved that effect the one time I saw it, what I've called the "searchlight snow" in Jan 1994.  +SN of heavily rimed flakes with temp about 5F at home (then Gardiner, Maine), while 35 miles east at RKD there was +RA at 40F+ with SE gales.

Nice sparkly 20:1 fluff last evening after the tinyflake start, 4.3" at 7 AM from 0.21" LE.  Currently -SN with some blowing snow in AUG, temp in singles.

Event totals: 6.5” Snow/0.46" L.E.

I was awake and ran a midnight round of snow analyses, but it doesn’t look like it was really necessary – that round of the snow was the densest yet at 14.3% H2O, so it wasn't likely to settle, and there was only an additional trace of snow during the 12:00 A.M. to 6:00 A.M. period.  Detailed data from the analyses are below:

Details from the 12:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.10 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 7.0

Snow Density: 14.3% H2O

Temperature: 15.4 F

Sky: Flurries

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: Trace

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 14.4 F

Sky: Cloudy

Thanks to this storm, snowfall remains a few inches ahead of average on the season at our site according to my data.

I've done my best to try and update snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas for Winter Storm Marcus; north to south listings are below.  The totals are generally a few inches higher in the southern half of the state, but it's not a huge difference and totals are generally in the 1 foot range plus or minus a few inches at this point:

Updated maps are below:

09FEB15A.jpg

09FEB15B.jpg

Thank you for the report and good thing the ski areas made out ok. This was the first real bust of the season here.

J.Spin, where did you get the Sugarbush number from?  I don't doubt it at all, but I've been confused by the report they have from the Vermont Ski Areas Association (SnoCountry) and their website:

math is not their strong point, obviously, and neither is snow reporting. 

they had the corrected 10" from friday night, 2" saturday and reported another 4" this morning.  so the 72 hour number seems correct, but the 48 hour number seemingly doesnt include the 2" from saturday.

and the 72 hour number is summit-mid-base while the 24 hour is the opposite.  high on.....pow?

math is not their strong point, obviously, and neither is snow reporting.

they had the corrected 10" from friday night, 2" saturday and reported another 4" this morning. so the 72 hour number seems correct, but the 48 hour number seemingly doesnt include the 2" from saturday.

and the 72 hour number is summit-mid-base while the 24 hour is the opposite. high on.....pow?

Haha yeah I don't doubt it at all I've just been confused the past few weeks.

I'm sure it's driving some Bush skiers crazy if they can't decipher what the heck is going on up there. I know I'd be dealing with a sh*tstorm if the locals couldn't easy figure out how much snow fell and when (was it before 4pm or after?).

I'm sure you guys miss Atkinson doing it full-time 5 days a week...I don't even ski there and I miss his diligence as a skier, haha. Not only that, but it will cost them visits if every SnoCountry email blast comes out with them lower than everyone because of math skills. That's also the stuff that comes out on the Weather Channel and major media outlets, and someone submitted 16" in the past 6 days, which is like half of any other ski area in Vermont.

Haha yeah I don't doubt it at all I've just been confused the past few weeks.

I'm sure it's driving some Bush skiers crazy if they can't decipher what the heck is going on up there. I know I'd be dealing with a sh*tstorm if the locals couldn't easy figure out how much snow fell and when (was it before 4pm or after?).

I'm sure you guys miss Atkinson doing it full-time 5 days a week...I don't even ski there and I miss his diligence as a skier, haha. Not only that, but it will cost them visits if every SnoCountry email blast comes out with them lower than everyone because of math skills. That's also the stuff that comes out on the Weather Channel and major media outlets, and someone submitted 16" in the past 6 days, which is like half of any other ski area in Vermont.

I owe John a lifetime of gratitude.  He not only is a great guy in general, but played a significant role in getting both my kids totally into skiing.  He's got two little ones of his own now so I doubt he has a moment to breathe.

No snow growth and supercooled droplets falling.

thanks for the explanation.  The drizzle was so fine, it was nearly invisible.  If not for the build-up on the windshield, I wouldn't have noticed it at all.  Even when out shoveling, I could feel it on my face but not see it in the decaying light of day.

How we all feeling about thursday-friday?

I got a suspicion that the SNE crew is perhaps a bit cocky right now and counting their chickens a little early.

I'm hoping they get another 3-5 feet at this point.  I want the bar to be set so high that future winters bring them nothing but heartbreak and despair.  Sort of like what 2007/2008 did for me.  :)

I'm hoping they get another 3-5 feet at this point.  I want the bar to be set so high that future winters bring them nothing but heartbreak and despair.  Sort of like what 2007/2008 did for me.   :)

we'll be hearing screwzone and snowholes defined as areas that receives around 12-16" instead of the 24-36" forecasted. 

we'll be hearing screwzone and snowholes defined as areas that receives around 12-16" instead of the 24-36" forecasted. 

Read those threads closely, we've already seen that.  We have also seen complaints about getting shafted from some who have 20" on the ground but 2 weeks ago didn't even have the grass covered.

There is no way we are going to see anything like them this winter. I just hope I can manage one more double digit event before it ends. So far I have had one in December. None the less we are above normal for the winter and the ski conditions are great.

2:45pm  very light snow, sun vis   7.5" storm total.  I try to read the obs thread to get storm totals in the SNE thread but everyone is so excited its 10 banter post to one good ob post.   Looking at my snow stake probably 18" on the ground but that will settle nicely tomorrow.  At least I don't have to snow rake this year!

How we all feeling about thursday-friday?

I got a suspicion that the SNE crew is perhaps a bit cocky right now and counting their chickens a little early.

Maybe but I think it looks like a good regional system...though I'm more focused on the mountains which for whatever reason always do good in clippers. I think the ski areas can get 6+ out of that, especially if it bombs out with NW winds. All those NW wind and 0.01" QPF maps can work out just fine in the mountains. Remember we got up to 10" on Friday night from a model forecast of 0.02" of QPF.

I've been very pleased with this winter and am perfectly happy with slightly above average. We live in a snowy enough climate to do that. There's like 20-24" on the ground around the homestead, 36" at the office, and up to like 80" in the high elevations. The last real thaw was Christmas and we've had really consistent snowfalls since mid-November. Also have had snow cover of at least 1" since like Thanksgiving.

We had several storms where it was dumping up here and pouring in SNE, gotta spread the love. Usually when SNE gets in the zone, we get shafted but there's been 89" at the ski area upper mountain in the last month, and that keeps me satisfied haha.

J.Spin, where did you get the Sugarbush number from?  I don't doubt it at all, but I've been confused by the report they have from the Vermont Ski Areas Association (SnoCountry) and their website:

attachicon.gifSugarbush_snowfall_totals.jpg

PF, I actually got that one from the text section of their snow report page, since the actual numbers seemed so confusing.  At the time it must have indicated the 12", so I was confident in putting it down, but here's the text now:

"It's safe to say the East Coast is where you want to be right now.  6" of snow has dropped since last night totaling well over a foot in the past two days at Sugarbush."

2:45pm very light snow, sun vis 7.5" storm total. I try to read the obs thread to get storm totals in the SNE thread but everyone is so excited its 10 banter post to one good ob post. Looking at my snow stake probably 18" on the ground but that will settle nicely tomorrow. At least I don't have to snow rake this year!

I saw a group of folks shoveling off the roof of a local lodge in town today, they look like they were up to their thighs. Some sneaky QPF in the bottom foot of the snowpack even dating back to the December cement snows in spots.

PF, I actually got that one from the text section of their snow report page, since the actual numbers seemed so confusing.  At the time it must have indicated the 12", so I was confident in putting it down, but here's the text now:

"It's safe to say the East Coast is where you want to be right now.  6" of snow has dropped since last night totaling well over a foot in the past two days at Sugarbush."

Yeah I'm reading that now, and still confused because none of the actual numbers have changed, lol.  They have said well over a foot in the past two days since yesterday, but the first number keeps changing.  Is that 6" of snow they got during the day today?  That'd be a good score because we really got nothing more than a half inch, maybe 3/4ths.

We miss John Atkinson, but I can understand with the two kids that getting up at 4am to measure snow and then work all day probably isn't the best set-up for a young family.  I'm going to cross that bridge at some point here too in the next couple years once my wife decides its time for kids. 

Jay Peak has always been good about sort of specifying when and how much snow...Smugg's report drives me nuts sometimes. 

Bolton's snow report is one of the best, IMO.  Mike does a great job with his info up there.  He worked at Guest Services at Stowe for a while before getting that marketing job at Bolton, and working at Guest Services will really show you how outsiders view a resort, haha.

The funny thing in the ski industry is we can all rag on each other to some extent, and sometimes outsiders interpret resorts as being critical of each other, but most folks know each other to some extent and its a lot more playful jabbing and ribbing.  The ski industry is pretty tight knit and resorts help each other out a lot...such as if a lift breaks or something happens, you lend a spare part or support as necessary.  Most folks have worked for various resorts and know each other too.

Archived