SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter 2014-2015 Thread Part 2

klw

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brian,  I wouldn't even call this a storm.   Just a gentle light snowfall that blows off the road. Iguess the biggest factor today is that it is just so cold.  Don't have too many 7F days. Friends were skiing at Ragged when their new lift broke down.  1 1/2 hours sitting on the chair.  They had to lower people by rope or someway.  People were still stuck when she got down

3.2" so far.

By the way the ski resorts must be hurting in the Rockies.  I watch my brothers cam facing Aspen and they have had almost no snow in a month.  Temps lately have been getting into the low 50's.  Here's the view right now,  suntan anyone?

post-268-0-09529300-1423433493_thumb.jpg

Most boring "storm" ever?

lol yeah.  1.7" accumulated in the past 12 hours here at home.

"Storm total" since yesterday morning is...4.7".

If you are adding in Friday night when the boundary slipped south, its 8.2".  I think the snowpack has only increased by like 2-3" though from that 8.2" since Friday evening.

It felt like I just snowblowed 6". + or - . Could there have been any freezing rain involved? There was a light coating of ice on my windshield. No crust on the snow though. Really fine consistency to the snow today.

Edit: 6" is counting Friday nights stuff.

There was some freezing drizzle and mist up, along with snow grains up on the mountain today at times.  When the radar showed echoes move in, it was back to flakes.  But there was some low level moisture going on...no crusting of the snow or anything, but you definitely had icing on goggles and jackets as you skied through it.

Its like there was a lot of low level moisture and no ice nuclei.

There was some freezing drizzle and mist up, along with snow grains up on the mountain today at times. When the radar showed echoes move in, it was back to flakes. But there was some low level moisture going on...no crusting of the snow or anything, but you definitely had icing on goggles and jackets as you skied through it.

Its like there was a lot of low level moisture and no ice nuclei.

Good to know I'm not going crazy. That much icy stuff may be why the roads are relatively crappy around here.

FWIW, I agree with what you were saying in the bigger thread. This seems pretty mild for a warning. There are plenty of stretches where the mountains get 3"-4" a day several days in a row while down here we're getting 1"-2".

I'm loving the wintery appeal...I don't mind days of light snow and refreshing 2-4" every 12hrs for the slopes. I think this system was over-hyped, but it's enjoyable to see it snowing each time you look outside for a couple days.

Since there is plenty of snow otg already, I'm right there with you on the wintry appeal aspect. It would be hard to see the bullseye be south of us if there was low snow.

Event totals: 5.8” Snow/0.36" L.E.

It was difficult to tell how hard it was snowing today since the flakes have been so small, but there's definitely liquid in what's falling from the sky.  It's funny how today's snow is almost the antithesis of what was falling the previous couple of days with respect to density – they are at totally opposite ends of the spectrum with 2% H2O snow before and over 12% H2O today.  This stuff simply crushes any fluff below. We were skiing at Stowe today and as others said, there was freezing fog that would stick to your goggles and make visibility difficult.  It was heavily elevation dependent though; if you stayed down low it wasn't even an issue.  In terms of overall conditions on the slopes though, they are just so good that they make you want to be out there every day.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.21 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 8.1

Snow Density: 12.4% H2O

Temperature: 16.0 F

Sky: Snow (1-2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 19.5"

On a seasonal note, today's accumulation just pushed the snowfall past the century mark for our location, and that's actually a few days ahead of average.

Another slight rollback:

08FEB15B.jpg

I saw that, and it's mentioned in the BTV NWS discussion:

PREVIOUS DISCUSSION FROM 318 PM EST SUNDAY...WINTER STORM WARNINGS REMAIN IN PLACE FOR THE ENTIRE AREA THROUGH 1 AM TUESDAY. BOTTOM LINE...WE HAVE TWEAKED TOTAL SNOW AMOUNTS DOWN BY AN INCH OR TWO.

I figured one could account for that simply based on the density of this snow; heck, if the snow continued to fall with the ratios it had previously, there would have been 10-12" with today's daytime accumulation alone.

I'm loving the wintery appeal...I don't mind days of light snow and refreshing 2-4" every 12hrs for the slopes. I think this system was over-hyped, but it's enjoyable to see it snowing each time you look outside for a couple days.

Yeah, I'm not sure what all the complaining is about in the thread though; this is how a long duration event plays out.  It's not necessary to watch the snow fall and accumulate, that's like getting a watched pot to boil – especially with flakes of the size we've been seeing here.  Just come back in 12 hours and there's accumulation to measure.  At this point I'd assume that accumulations will be on the lower end of the forecasts simply because of the ridiculous density of this snow – 12%+ H2O is pretty hefty stuff and it takes a lot of that to get to a foot.  I always thought that was part of the reason for the forecast range on snowfall – if the snow growth is poor, the accumulation ends up toward the lower end of the range.  The point forecast here calls for another 5-10" through tomorrow night, and even the low end of that would make this quite a significant event.

We had the freezing drizzle earlier with single digits mixed with diamond dust like flakes. it was actually causing ice pillar optics in headlights for bit. We are at 3 inches for this event thus far. Snow depth is between 10-11 inches.

lol yeah. 1.7" accumulated in the past 12 hours here at home.

"Storm total" since yesterday morning is...4.7".

If you are adding in Friday night when the boundary slipped south, its 8.2". I think the snowpack has only increased by like 2-3" though from that 8.2" since Friday evening.

Add another 1.6" of sand in the 12 hours from 5pm-5am.

Since Saturday morning: 6.3"

Since Friday evening: 9.8"

And it looks like this one will go down as a bust here by about half or less of what was originally forecast. BTV reduced us to an advisory and the total amounts are 4-6 at best for the event with only an inch or so today.

maybe some over performance on the thursday event although not good for my drive from bos to stowe on thursday afternoon but no worries about that-have yet to have any weather stop me including cat 1 hurricanes....sunday monday a possibility but would need a big NW shift for that...one thing for sure is the deep freeze is happening

maybe some over performance on the thursday event although not good for my drive from bos to stowe on thursday afternoon but no worries about that-have yet to have any weather stop me including cat 1 hurricanes....sunday monday a possibility but would need a big NW shift for that...one thing for sure is the deep freeze is happening

Yes it is, bring that facemask, haha.  Having excellent snow though will make the arctic cold easier to handle, at least to me, ha.

We have a total of 3.1 inches in Winooski from this event with about 10 inches of depth out there maybe 11 in some spots. Either way we got about 1/3 to 1/2 the original forecast. This was a downer but it happens. I hope Thu overperforms.

Yes it is, bring that facemask, haha.  Having excellent snow though will make the arctic cold easier to handle, at least to me, ha.

yep, the arctic blast is all good, great snow , no complaints..meanwhile all the people heading to colorado, utah are getting the royal screw job....was in breck last year at this time and they were at 250 inches and piles of snow everywhere..today, low 40s and staying warm....been horrible out west meanwhile the NE rules the ski world in the usa...onward with snow and cold and over performance

Archived