SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter 2014-2015 Thread Part 2

klw

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well 55 inches in early Feb is probably a normal winter.  Although you seem to be in a bit of a personal snow hole.  You are lower than most of the reports around you the last 3 or so storms I think.  It may be that you are just a more accurate measurer.

Since we seem destined to just have our snowbanks dusted this next few day, I won't be leaving Savannah.  I am going to try to get the Pattern discussion thread focused on the next big storm, which seemed to be setting up for just post Vday I think?

It would be 6" above my avg thru Feb. 5, and my winter totals look a lot like dendrite's.  (Excluding his 1st winter on sig, when my record April widened the gap, I'm running about 1.5" ahead, less than 2% diff.)  I've done better (obvious from sig) though the difference is mainly the bliz and the Dec. 13 fluffband that gave me 7.5" while nobody else but Jeff (2") got much of anything.  79" thru Feb. 4 is ahead of any other winter here, 1.0" ahead of 07-08.  Of course, Feb. 5-10, 2008 featured 4 separate SWFEs and 23" then the 8" dump on the 13th, so this winter will soon be a distant 2nd 

Event totals: 3.7” Snow/0.16" L.E.

The snow seemed to start really late last night, and by midnight there was barely a dusting down, but it clearly picked up to a good pace to put nearly 4 inches down by the 6:00 A.M. round of observations.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 3.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.16 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 23.1

Snow Density: 4.3% H2O

Temperature: 26.8 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-4 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 19.0"

There was another couple of tenths that fell after observations time, so I'll analyze that later today.

This event has actually brought snowfall up above average (100.4%) based on my data set for the first time since back in December.

I stopped in for some turns at the Timberline area of Bolton Valley this morning on my way in to Burlington, and the snow was simply fantastic – there hadn't been much in the way of wind, which is just the way you'd want it for maintenance of loft in champagne-style snow.  I actually didn’t know what the resort was reporting for accumulations at that point, but I could tell that it had to be notably more than what we got down at the house.  In general in the 1,500' – 2,300' elevation range where I was skiing, I was getting surface snow measurements of 6-12" inches (it was a bit tough figuring out when/what had been groomed so that made for a bigger range) and if I had to pin that down to something tighter it would be 8-9" at around 2,300'.  Now that I've seen their report I'd say my observations jive well with the 11" they're reporting at 3,150'.  It's simply beautiful, beautiful snow – in the 4% H2O range based on my analyses, and certainly qualifying as Champlain Powder™.  The snow is so dry that even on 115 mm fat skis with close to a foot of it, the turns weren't completely bottomless all the time, but the quality of the subsurface is so good that even if you do touch down you're interacting with something that is still very soft.

I've added the north to south listing of available snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas for this arctic frontal passage; numbers seem to top out around a foot in the Northern Greens, and lower in the Central and Southern Greens.  I'd say the disadvantage of Burke being well east of the spine was evident in this event:

Jay Peak: 12”

Burke: 2”

Smuggler’s Notch: 14”

Stowe: 10”

Bolton Valley: 11”

Mad River Glen: 5”

Sugarbush: 4”

Middlebury: 3”

Suicide Six: 5”

Pico: 6.5”

Killington: 6.5”

Okemo: 5”

Bromley: 5”

Stratton: 6”

Mount Snow: 7”

Man does this winter feel like a fail so far compared to what everyone else is getting. We're in on every event, but it's always sloppy seconds. :lol:

Brian, your at 55" for the winter.  I don't keep records but I'm probably in the upper 40's.  I think you have had more snow with all the big ones being south.  Nice not to have to do any roof raking this year, the wind just blows the powder off.  Looking forward to the over running coming north.  The southern guys have had their share and G-D knows Pfreak and the VT guys always do well.  Time for us.

Wind howling today.  Newfound Lake is about 6 miles long and orientated N/S.  Drove to the foot of this lake and took this video.  Wind seemed in the 30's gusting to near 50mph.  In the video I say its the 4th but its today, the 5th.  Towards the end of the video the wind is the strongest if you want to fast forward.

Gene

Wind howling today.  Newfound Lake is about 6 miles long and orientated N/S.  Drove to the foot of this lake and took this video.  Wind seemed in the 30's gusting to near 50mph.  In the video I say its the 4th but its today, the 5th.  Towards the end of the video the wind is the strongest if you want to fast forward.

Gene

Nice.  Same thing is happening right now at the far end of Paugus Bay by the Margate Resort.... always impressive.

Drives public works crazy I bet.

Event totals: 3.9” Snow/0.17" L.E.

An additional 0.2" of snow fell after this morning's observations, and that is the last of the accumulation for this event.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 20.0

Snow Density: 5.0% H2O

Temperature: 3.0 F

Sky: Mostly Clear

Snow at the stake: 17.0"

Man, the beat rolls ON....long range shows at least three more chances for snow from tonight through monday. And really thats splitting atoms as it should snow continually at elevation in the ADK and northern Vermont.  Just a great pattern with a series of clipper like waves driving through the region.  

I hate to say this, but I'm almost bored. I've skied powder pretty much nonstop since early January....at this point I'm ready for some bigger lines which are just not going to happen with constant fresh snow and minus three million temps. 

Burlington - at least the south end out my door - is reading -10F. 

I am hitting Smuggs today as it is half price for Vermonters on Fridays and I need to change it up. The conditions are as good as they get for the most part it seems! I was in Underhill yesterday and even there the untouched snow in a park I was in was nearly knee deep.

Archived