Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter 2014-2015 Thread Part 2

klw

From BTV

.LONG TERM /SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...
AS OF 336 AM EST THURSDAY...SATURDAY NIGHT COASTAL LOW WILL
CONTINUE TO LIFT NORTHEASTWARD AND FURTHER AWAY FROM OUR FORECAST
AREA. AT THIS TIME STILL LOOKS LIKE WE`LL BE ON THE FRINGES OF
THIS ONE...WITH JUST SOME SNOW IN EXTREME EASTERN VERMONT...AND
ONLY A COUPLE OF INCHES. WRAP AROUND NORTHWEST FLOW UPSLOPE SNOW
SHOWERS ARE EXPECTED SATURDAY NIGHT AND SUNDAY.

that sounds appetizing.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How is it possible that BTV thinks they are on the fringes, but GYX thinks this will only impact the coast and it will be sunny in the mountains...

From BTV

.LONG TERM /SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...
AS OF 336 AM EST THURSDAY...SATURDAY NIGHT COASTAL LOW WILL
CONTINUE TO LIFT NORTHEASTWARD AND FURTHER AWAY FROM OUR FORECAST
AREA. AT THIS TIME STILL LOOKS LIKE WE`LL BE ON THE FRINGES OF
THIS ONE...WITH JUST SOME SNOW IN EXTREME EASTERN VERMONT...AND
ONLY A COUPLE OF INCHES. WRAP AROUND NORTHWEST FLOW UPSLOPE SNOW
SHOWERS ARE EXPECTED SATURDAY NIGHT AND SUNDAY.

that sounds appetizing.

How is it possible that BTV thinks they are on the fringes, but GYX thinks this will only impact the coast and it will be sunny in the mountains...

From what I'm seeing on the weather models, our potential snow up here during that period would come from the tail of a more northern system, or perhaps moisture from the Great Lakes, with the back of the coastal low providing some of the energy.  There's really a big gap (most of NNE basically) between the precipitation shield of the coastal low and what swings through the northern tier on some of the models, so I'm not sure anything up here could really be called the fringe of the coastal.

From what I'm seeing on the weather models, our potential snow up here during that period would come from the tail of a more northern system, or perhaps moisture from the Great Lakes, with the back of the coastal low providing some of the energy.  There's really a big gap (most of NNE basically) between the precipitation shield of the coastal low and what swings through the northern tier on some of the models, so I'm not sure anything up here could really be called the fringe of the coastal.

Makes sense... probably just not worded very well. 

Event totals: 0.4” Snow/0.01" L.E.

I was checking the snow stake and heading off to work this morning, but was surprised to see a steady light snow falling, so I had to make some time for analyses.  I obviously wasn't anticipating any sort of snow this morning, and had no clue where it was coming from, but a quick look at the BTV NWS forecast discussion indicates that it's from warm air advection and moisture from the Great Lakes:

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 7 PM THIS EVENING/...

AS OF 637 AM EST FRIDAY...WARM AIR ADVECTION AND MOISTURE FROM THE EASTERN GREAT LAKES IS CONTRIBUTING TO SOME LIGHT SNOW SHOWERS ACROSS THE AREA. WILL ADD A SLIGHT CHANCE TO CHANCE OF LIGHT SNOW OVER MOST OF THE AREA THIS MORNING

It's very dry snow, thanks to flakes in the 5-15 mm range, and the moisture flow is visible on the local radar:

23JAN15A.gif

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 40.0

Snow Density: 2.5% H2O

Temperature: 6.4 F

Sky: Light Snow (5-15 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 7.0"

With the large flakes, another 0.5" had already accumulated on the snowboards by the time I was leaving, and the intensity of the snowfall had increased.

Coming up to ski Jay Peak Thurs 29th-Sat31st.I know it's a ways out there but I see Burlington talking about a low pressure possibly coming in from the northern great Lakes thurs.Any locals have a better handle on these types of systems? Can they deliver a good dump of Snow at Jay that I always hear about when everyone else has half the amount? Thanks!!

Nice catch J.Spin... I've been surprised at the persistent light snow this morning.  Huge flakes.  Not much in the way of accumulation because its blowing around a bit on the mountain, but I'm sure if we had a completely calm environment we'd probably be near an inch or more with the size of these flakes if they could stack up undisturbed.

Jan23_zps4aaxlwa0.gif

Coming up to ski Jay Peak Thurs 29th-Sat31st.I know it's a ways out there but I see Burlington talking about a low pressure possibly coming in from the northern great Lakes thurs.Any locals have a better handle on these types of systems? Can they deliver a good dump of Snow at Jay that I always hear about when everyone else has half the amount? Thanks!!

Oh you'll almost certainly hear about twice as much snow as anyone else.  :whistle:  Let us know what you actually see.

From J.Spin and I over towards you and north to kml, its been winter as winter should be so far.  Nothing epic, but certainly not poor.  Just a good average winter for north-central VT, which is plenty of winter.  I've been thinking that in recent years, that it'll feel pretty darn wintery if we get a solid average season after some of the recent years.

You can throw me in that mix too.  I'd say we're pretty close to normal snowfall-wise, snowpack-wise, frost depth-wise, lake ice-wise and temperature-wise.

~45" for the season, 12" otg (yeah, high density stuff), 12" of ground frost, a -25F a -20F and several -10Fs in the books and about a foot of ice on the lake.  Sounds like winter to me.

You can throw me in that mix too.  I'd say we're pretty close to normal snowfall-wise, snowpack-wise, frost depth-wise, lake ice-wise and temperature-wise.

~45" for the season, 12" otg (yeah, high density stuff), 12" of ground frost, a -25F a -20F and several -10Fs in the books and about a foot of ice on the lake.  Sounds like winter to me.

Yeah I figured your area had been doing well, too...though I know you've probably been quite busy with the addition this winter.  Hope all is well with the little one.

Event totals: 0.9” Snow/0.01" L.E.

As I suspected might be the case with potential sublimation of such fluffy snow, as of this evening I was only able to get a trace of liquid out of the additional 0.5" that fell this morning.

Details from the 7:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.5 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 20.8 F

Sky: Partly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 7.0"

It sounds like the next opportunity for snow is tomorrow night; the point forecast calls for about an inch here, although more in the higher elevations as adk has mentioned.

Hoping for some nice dim sun up here from the SNE storm this weekend. As we've been discussing, it's been an ok winter so far, so missing out on this one doesn't hurt as much as it could.

later Nov through December up until the Grinch storm were solid. Hopefully we can turn it around again in Feb.

Enjoyed my 1" of snow.  Nice refresher.   Server is going to get a run for its money with the Tuesday threat.  Hope the mod's can keep the banter to a minimum as there will be pages and pages to sift through.   Hope C/NNE is not too far north as has been so many cases.  Fun to watch it unfold.

Enjoyed my 1" of snow.  Nice refresher.   Server is going to get a run for its money with the Tuesday threat.  Hope the mod's can keep the banter to a minimum as there will be pages and pages to sift through.   Hope C/NNE is not too far north as has been so many cases.  Fun to watch it unfold.

As of now it looks like we squeeze out a few hundredths if we are lucky. Looks like another miss here.

Archived