Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter 2014-2015 Thread Part 2

klw

You just had to go buy a new sled, Didn't you?         lol

that's what I told my wife last night. Mother nature is pissed at me. I really hope things turn around. Snodeo is this weekend and although I don't go near the area during that event, I wonder how decent the trails will be. I had a lot of good riding last year from feb till end of march, so there is still time, but another 1-2 weeks without much snow is going to shorten the riding season, especially is spring comes early. Patience is wearing thin.... 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that's what I told my wife last night. Mother nature is pissed at me. I really hope things turn around. Snodeo is this weekend and although I don't go near the area during that event, I wonder how decent the trails will be. I had a lot of good riding last year from feb till end of march, so there is still time, but another 1-2 weeks without much snow is going to shorten the riding season, especially is spring comes early. Patience is wearing thin.... 

That would be the last place i would be even if it was the only place with snow, All the nut jobs on sleds come out of the woodwork for that event

yeah, what a mob scene it'll be. Been aching to go to andover, they say they groomed up around c-pond, but that was before the rain.

Well, That is where i may head this weekend on Saturday if i can get a legit report from someone, I know our club did a club ride from there Saturday

That always works...   Our family's 1st snowblower, a single-stage beast with steel wheels, was purchased AFTER the winter of 1960-61, when our NNJ home had storms (listed chronologically) of 18", 20", 24", and 12", and 100"+ for the winter.   It wasn't until Jan. 1964 that we got another storm over 6".

12z gfs has zippo qpf thru D10, and features a 968mb LP cruising by just offshore (2" qpf plus wind for ACK) during this coming weekend.  We'll be about 20 miles SE of PHL visiting family - might see some snow there.

Watching the clipper go by well to the south from my vantage point.  Frozen old tundra snow.  Only probably 4-5" deep, you can see the snow stake.  Storms on the horizon for next week but will we go from rainers to being too far NW.   Since its slow I posted a picture from my brothers cam facing Aspen Mountain, CO  They could use a refresher too.

post-268-0-92415400-1421787061_thumb.jpg

post-268-0-81121200-1421787067_thumb.jpg

This season was over when I got new Blizzaks and my in-laws got a new snow-thrower.  Was going great before that.

At least there's snow cover here, but it's pretty dismal considering the calendar.

Watching the clipper go by well to the south from my vantage point.  Frozen old tundra snow.  Only probably 4-5" deep, you can see the snow stake.  Storms on the horizon for next week but will we go from rainers to being too far NW.   Since its slow I posted a picture from my brothers cam facing Aspen Mountain, CO  They could use a refresher too.

I just got back from So. Utah; they are also hurting. Zion and Bryce were beautiful though. 

This is true...we are right at normal for snowfall.  However, what we have gotten has had some substance.  We don't seem to get those plastering snowfalls as often as we have this winter.  With the lower ratios, although the snowfall itself is around normal, the snowpack in the mountains is quite healthy relative to recent seasons.  Its been a good mix of fluffy snowfalls and base-builders.  I actually think this ski season has been quite good overall, but some of the recent seasons haven't been the best so it feels like we've lucked out this winter.  The snowpack isn't anything to write home about in the lower elevations of the mountain valleys, but at mid-slope elevations up through the summits, its been quite nice.  We are in good shape going into February and March in the mountains.  Maybe it completely stops snowing, but as we get later in the season, climo starts favoring up north so I like our chances for the second half of the ski season.

Mean seasonal snowfall as of today (Jan 20th) is 77.3 ± 24.9" in my data set, so even though current snowfall is about a foot behind that, indeed we're still well within the range of normal – and about a foot ahead of where we were last season at this time.  I was going to make a similar comment to yours in my response to Coastal – we're not knocking it out of the park with snowfall by any means, but we are close enough to normal that we're in good shape going into the second half of the season, and poised to get ahead of normal should things start to break that way.  Last season we came out of January more than two feet behind average pace (roughly 1 S.D. low) so it would have been a bigger challenge to catch up to average.

January has been a bit lean on snowfall (69.5% of average though this point based on my data), but we've already had more snow than all of last January and there's still a third of the month to go.

And great point about the snowpack in the higher elevations; it's not outrageously above average in terms of depth, but it's got some real substance due to the density of some of the snowfall.  It didn't get to 56" due to a three-foot upslope fluff bomb; it's snow that's not going to settle a huge amount.

I'm guessing you saw the mountains today?  Whoa, totally brilliant in the sunshine looking from the Champlain Valley side.  They've got that classic look where the foothills are brown and then BOOM, the big peaks rise up behind just plastered in white.

I'm guessing you saw the mountains today?  Whoa, totally brilliant in the sunshine looking from the Champlain Valley side.  They've got that classic look where the foothills are brown and then BOOM, the big peaks rise up behind just plastered in white.

Yeah definitely a plastered look out there today!  The funny thing is I can't believe there's any brown in the foothills or valley.  I'm sure there is, but I've just been living in my own little world up here.  We've had consistent snow cover since after that melt following the Thanksgiving fluff bomb.  And as you know, the view from Stowe's trails is due east mostly, so you look into interior Vermont which has been white with snowpack all winter it seems.  I feel like I haven't seen a brown bare ground view in very long time from anywhere that I go during my daily life here.  

Meanwhile, since you work in BTV, you travel from white to brown and back to white every day.  Its always surprising to me how different it is in short distances around here.  I'll have to go up on the ridge and take a look westward, haha.

PF and JSpin you both make good points about the durable snow pack, at least in this part of the state. My front yard, which gets blasted by sun and salt spray from the road did lose a good part of ots snow cover in early December but the back yard and the woods have had it since the Thanksgiving storm. Even though it hasn't been particularly snowy, it has been a decent winter so far.

That always works...   Our family's 1st snowblower, a single-stage beast with steel wheels, was purchased AFTER the winter of 1960-61, when our NNJ home had storms (listed chronologically) of 18", 20", 24", and 12", and 100"+ for the winter.   It wasn't until Jan. 1964 that we got another storm over 6".

12z gfs has zippo qpf thru D10, and features a 968mb LP cruising by just offshore (2" qpf plus wind for ACK) during this coming weekend.  We'll be about 20 miles SE of PHL visiting family - might see some snow there.

This season was over when I got new Blizzaks and my in-laws got a new snow-thrower.  Was going great before that.

At least there's snow cover here, but it's pretty dismal considering the calendar.

10 days from now we may all be singing a different tune, The weekend system is far from dead, And i like the Miller B potential next week with a better looking pattern to support snow

PF and JSpin you both make good points about the durable snow pack, at least in this part of the state. My front yard, which gets blasted by sun and salt spray from the road did lose a good part of ots snow cover in early December but the back yard and the woods have had it since the Thanksgiving storm. Even though it hasn't been particularly snowy, it has been a decent winter so far.

Yeah its not ridiculously snowy, but given the situation in the rest of New England, its been a good winter so far.  I think the love will get spread around a lot more in February, and it'll be our turn to watch from the sidelines for some systems, but I really like the position we are in heading into February and March.  We've had some clunking Januarys lately, where we enter February with little to no snow, so its refreshing to have a solid pack in the mountains, and acceptable snowpack in the mountain valleys. 

From J.Spin and I over towards you and north to kml, its been winter as winter should be so far.  Nothing epic, but certainly not poor.  Just a good average winter for north-central VT, which is plenty of winter.  I've been thinking that in recent years, that it'll feel pretty darn wintery if we get a solid average season after some of the recent years.

beautiful pic, PF.  What a difference to the Champlain Valley, where the snow pack is thinned to several ice-packed inches for those fortunate to still have snow.  After a phenomenal start in November and early December, it's been pretty thin pickings for snow lovers.

Posted these in the Banter thread for all to see, but they definitely are NNE themed...

Some New England mountain views from today.  All views from the ridgeline of Mount Mansfield.

Mount Washington, NH.

IMG_7101_edited-2_zpsf7144c5b.jpg

Mount Lafayette, NH.

IMG_7102_edited-2_zps3bbeec50.jpg

Jay Peak, VT.

IMG_7100_edited-2_zpsaa008f47.jpg

Whiteface Mountain, NY.  Almost 1 mile of vertical relief right there.

IMG_7094_edited-1_zpsec534ce8.jpg

Mount Mansfield backcountry.

IMG_7126_edited-2-1_zps92556549.jpg

Posted these in the Banter thread for all to see, but they definitely are NNE themed...

Some New England mountain views from today. All views from the ridgeline of Mount Mansfield.

Mount Washington, NH.

IMG_7101_edited-2_zpsf7144c5b.jpg

Mount Lafayette, NH.

IMG_7102_edited-2_zps3bbeec50.jpg

Jay Peak, VT.

IMG_7100_edited-2_zpsaa008f47.jpg

Whiteface Mountain, NY. Almost 1 mile of vertical relief right there.

IMG_7094_edited-1_zpsec534ce8.jpg

Mount Mansfield backcountry.

IMG_7126_edited-2-1_zps92556549.jpg

So by that do you mean Whiteface rises some 5,400 feet above Champlain? Are you sure?

Archived