• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter 2014-2015 Thread Part 2

klw

Looks like another refresher could be coming early friday AM with the arrival of a cold front.  Moisture looks brief but the orientation of the front really is good for orographic snow and there is def. the possibility of some moisture from the GLs getting sucked into the frontal zone....so maybe another 2-4" ? Sounds good to me.

On the GFS and CMC there's that Friday one, then one Monday, then another potential one Wednesday.  The latest ECMWF seems to suggest a more phased outcome with that second one, but similar impulses  are there in the northern stream.  That's close to three systems/week, which really is pretty active.  And, with the current base down, surface conditions decent, and cold conditions, these Clipper-style impulses really go a long way in terms of supplying some powder and keeping overall conditions decent.  We can get some real quality periods of skiing (and some great sleeper days) when the Clippers just come through every two to three days.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dropping about 1 degree per hour

I expected better given how perfect the conditions are...  I almost never go calm like this.

Is the channel mostly frozen? It's probably cold down by your anemometer. Your cold must drain quite a bit down your hill to the water like mine does. Those river stations near CON are already pushing -10F.

-2F here.

Is the channel mostly frozen? It's probably cold down by your anemometer. Your cold must drain quite a bit down your hill to the water like mine does. Those river stations near CON are already pushing -10F.

-2F here.

No, it's pretty wide open.  Sometimes it skims over at night but it always defrosts the next day.

In the -23 range this AM, whill getthe exact figure this evening.  Chimney smoke from houses was leveling off about 50 yards (at most) above the ground, a real shallow ratiational inversion.  My duirnal range today should be 40F or more.

And what's with the 06z gfs for Monday.  Yesterday's 12z had almost nothing; now it has 2.8" RA for AUG.  Can we toss?

awesome

Lots of loud pops out there all night long... can never tell where they come from but some are pretty darn loud.  At first I was thinking its ice in the gutters expanding and causing them to pop as some of the louder ones seemed to be coming from the building.  But probably the same thing happening with the sap and moisture in trees popping.  Just poke your head outside for a while at those temps and there's lots of creaking and popping going on.  Last night seemed like the coldest yet this year at home...although it was shallow and not -30F at the summits like that other recent cold shot, down here in the valley it was just that absolute cold feeling over fresh snowpack.  Almost like crushing cold.

Though the wind chill was much lower last Thursday, the cold air last evening and this morning felt almost heavy, like the cold had more substance.  And easily the most tree-popping I've heard this winter.  I think the breeze at Thursday's circa -20 temps worked out the pops in small doses inaudible above wind noises.  No such interference this morning.

Though the wind chill was much lower last Thursday, the cold air last evening and this morning felt almost heavy, like the cold had more substance.  And easily the most tree-popping I've heard this winter.  I think the breeze at Thursday's circa -20 temps worked out the pops in small doses inaudible above wind noises.  No such interference this morning.

Yeah, there was something about it last night.  It was like the exact opposite of oppressive heat in the summer.  I went out at like 11pm last night and it just hits you like a ton of bricks...very akin to like opening the door on a 90/72 type day in the summer.  Where you just pause and are like wow.

GYX honking

Hazardous Weather Outlook
HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOKNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAY ME308 PM EST WED JAN 14 2015MEZ007>009-012>014-018>022-NHZ001>011-152015-NORTHERN OXFORD-NORTHERN FRANKLIN-CENTRAL SOMERSET-SOUTHERN OXFORD-SOUTHERN FRANKLIN-SOUTHERN SOMERSET-INTERIOR YORK-INTERIOR CUMBERLAND-ANDROSCOGGIN-KENNEBEC-INTERIOR WALDO-NORTHERN COOS-SOUTHERN COOS-NORTHERN GRAFTON-NORTHERN CARROLL-SOUTHERN GRAFTON-SOUTHERN CARROLL-SULLIVAN-MERRIMACK-BELKNAP-STRAFFORD-CHESHIRE NH-308 PM EST WED JAN 14 2015THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR WESTERN MAINE...CENTRAL NEWHAMPSHIRE...NORTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE AND SOUTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE..DAY ONE...THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT.HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME..DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...THURSDAY THROUGH TUESDAY.A WINTER STORM MAY IMPACT THE REGION SUNDAY NIGHT INTO MONDAY.HEAVY SNOW IS POSSIBLE ALONG WITH A MIX OF SLEET AND FREEZING RAINAT TIMES..SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...SPOTTER ACTIVATION IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

and BTV says

AS OF 230 PM EST WEDNESDAY...SURFACE HIGH PRESSURE OVER THE AREA
ON SATURDAY WILL SLOWLY BEGIN TO SLIDE EAST AND AWAY FROM OUR
FORECAST AREA SATURDAY NIGHT. THIS WILL MAKE WAY FOR APPROACHING
LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM MOVING FROM THE GREAT LAKES AREA EASTWARD ON
SUNDAY. AT THE SAME TIME A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL TRACK ALONG
THE EAST COAST FROM THE CAROLINAS NORTHWARD. THESE TWO LOW
PRESSURE SYSTEMS WILL PHASE SUNDAY NIGHT AND LIFT NORTHWARD
THROUGH EASTERN NEW ENGLAND.

GYX honking

Hazardous Weather Outlook

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAY ME
308 PM EST WED JAN 14 2015

MEZ007>009-012>014-018>022-NHZ001>011-152015-
NORTHERN OXFORD-NORTHERN FRANKLIN-CENTRAL SOMERSET-SOUTHERN OXFORD-
SOUTHERN FRANKLIN-SOUTHERN SOMERSET-INTERIOR YORK-
INTERIOR CUMBERLAND-ANDROSCOGGIN-KENNEBEC-INTERIOR WALDO-
NORTHERN COOS-SOUTHERN COOS-NORTHERN GRAFTON-NORTHERN CARROLL-
SOUTHERN GRAFTON-SOUTHERN CARROLL-SULLIVAN-MERRIMACK-BELKNAP-
STRAFFORD-CHESHIRE NH-
308 PM EST WED JAN 14 2015

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR WESTERN MAINE...CENTRAL NEW
HAMPSHIRE...NORTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE AND SOUTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE.

.DAY ONE...THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...THURSDAY THROUGH TUESDAY.

A WINTER STORM MAY IMPACT THE REGION SUNDAY NIGHT INTO MONDAY.
HEAVY SNOW IS POSSIBLE ALONG WITH A MIX OF SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN
AT TIMES.

.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

SPOTTER ACTIVATION IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.
Will be nice if it verifies

Archived