Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter 2014-2015 Thread Part 2

klw

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Event totals: 2.0” Snow/0.09" L.E.

We were up skiing at Bolton this afternoon and snow started up right about 2:00 P.M.  It moved in pretty quickly, especially since we were on the mountain.  There's nothing like riding the lift into the higher elevations just as a storm is ramping up, because it can really make the snowfall intensity jump up quite rapidly.  Visibility was certainly down to ¼ mile at times early on, and by the time we were leaving near 5:00 P.M., it was a steady, heavy snow.  The intensity of the snowfall certainly lightened up as we headed back down into the valley, but there was two inches on the snowboards at the house when I did a 5:00 P.M. analysis.

Details from the 5:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 2.0 inches

New Liquid: 0.09 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 22.2

Snow Density: 4.5% H2O

Temperature: 21.7 F

Sky: Snow (5-12 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 20.5"

It was definitely snowing hard up there at the mountain; I've added a couple of shots from today below:

21FEB15E.jpg

21FEB15F.jpg

Below I've added the updated advisories and total snowfall maps from the BTV NWS.  For changes in the advisories, there wasn't anything apparent in Vermont, but there are some Winter Storm Warnings added down in New York State and a Winter Weather Advisory filled in to the far west.  I don't think there will be any problem reaching the forecast 3-5" here, since there was already 5-6" out there as of 9:00 P.M. and the snow has been running close to the 1"/hr range.  Snow growth seems very good (5:00 P.M. analysis was 4.5% H2O) so that's presumably helping with the accumulation.

21FEB15C.jpg

21FEB15D.jpg

For changes in the advisories, there wasn't anything apparent in Vermont, but there are some Winter Storm Warnings added down in New York State and a Winter Weather Advisory filled in to the far west.  I don't think there will be any problem reaching the forecast 3-5" here, since there was already 5-6" out there as of 9:00 P.M. and the snow has been running close to the 1"/hr range.  Snow growth seems very good (5:00 P.M. analysis was 4.5% H2O) so that's presumably helping with the accumulation.

Yeah J.Spin... at least a solid 5" through 9pm and been snowing hard ever since.  The radar has only improved since then.  More rare SW upslope flow occurring...Spine making it happen.

feb_21j_zpsz729jhlv.gif

These shots were from before the recent increase in radar echoes.  Its really coming down out there.

feb21f_zps0f369d6f.jpg

feb21d_zps1f0bff89.jpg

Yeah J.Spin... at least a solid 5" through 9pm and been snowing hard ever since.  The radar has only improved since then.  More rare SW upslope flow occurring...Spine making it happen.

21FEB15A.gif

When the yellows show up on the radar, that's typically a good sign with regard to snowfall.  That's cool that it's SW upslope flow that has been helping along the spine, we'll definitely take it.  It's sort of about time though; eventually things are going to happen along the spine when you've got a permanent 4,000' lifting mechanism in your back yard.  If the mountains are doing better than us, then the slopes should be fantastic tomorrow.

I've got the J&E Productions Live Web Cam running:

21FEB15G.jpg

Event totals: 7.2” Snow/0.28" L.E.

It's not too surprising with the way it's been snowing that the BTV NWS added some additional Winter Weather Advisories along the spine:

21FEB15H.jpg

The additional snow was mentioned in the forecast discussion:

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM SUNDAY MORNING/...

AS OF 934 PM EST SATURDAY...GOING FORECAST IDEAS GENERALLY IN GOOD SHAPE. WIDESPREAD LIGHT SNOW CONTINUES TO AFFECT THE REGION. CURRENT OBSERVATIONS AND RADAR PRESENTATION HOWEVER NOW INDICATING SOME UPSLOPE COMPONENT TO THE FLOW OCCURRING ALONG THE WESTERN SLOPES OF THE GREEN MOUNTAINS (FROUDE NUMBERS INDICATING BLOCKED FLOW). THUS DID INCREASE TOTAL AMOUNTS ALONG THE WESTERN SLOPES AND ALONG THE SPINE OF THE GREEN MOUNTAINS...AND ADDED THEM TO THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY. HEADING INTO THE NIGHT...WILL SEE A GRADUAL DECREASE IN SNOW COVERAGE AND INTENSITY FROM WEST TO EAST. TOTAL AMOUNTS OF 1-3" ACROSS NORTHERN NEW YORK...3-7" ALONG THE WESTERN SLOPES AND SPINE OF THE GREEN MOUNTAINS...AND 2-5" ACROSS THE REMAINDER OF VERMONT EXPECTED.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

928 PM EST SAT FEB 21 2015

VTZ006-016>018-221200-

/O.EXA.KBTV.WW.Y.0010.000000T0000Z-150222T1200Z/

LAMOILLE-EASTERN FRANKLIN-EASTERN CHITTENDEN-EASTERN ADDISON-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...JOHNSON...STOWE...ENOSBURG FALLS...

RICHFORD...UNDERHILL...BRISTOL...RIPTON

928 PM EST SAT FEB 21 2015

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST SUNDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER

WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST

SUNDAY.

* LOCATIONS...EASTERN FRANKLIN...EASTERN CHITTENDEN...EASTERN

ADDISON...AND LAMOILLE COUNTIES IN VERMONT.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...3 TO 7 INCHES OF SNOW...WITH LOCALLY HIGHER

AMOUNTS POSSIBLE IN THE HIGHEST ELEVATIONS.

* MAXIMUM SNOWFALL RATE...UP TO 1 INCH PER HOUR...MAINLY THROUGH

MIDNIGHT.

* TIMING...PERIODS OF SNOW WILL CONTINUE OVERNIGHT BEFORE

TAPERING OFF AFTER MIDNIGHT TONIGHT.

* IMPACTS...LOCALLY SLICK TRAVEL DUE TO SNOW COVERED ROADS.

* WINDS...SOUTHWEST 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...LOWS 15 TO 19.

* VISIBILITIES...BELOW 1 MILE AT TIMES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW MEANS THAT

VISIBILITIES WILL BE LIMITED DUE TO A COMBINATION OF FALLING AND

BLOWING SNOW. USE CAUTION WHEN TRAVELING...ESPECIALLY IN OPEN

AREAS.

PLEASE STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO...YOUR LOCAL MEDIA...OR

GO TO WWW.WEATHER.GOV/BURLINGTON FOR FURTHER UPDATES ON THIS

WEATHER SITUATION.

Details from the 11:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 5.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.19 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 27.4

Snow Density: 3.7% H2O

Temperature: 23.0 F

Sky: Snow (5-15 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 25.0"

Event totals: 8.3” Snow/0.29" L.E.

A final 1.1" came in overnight – it's pretty amazing fluff out there when even after settling it came in around 1% H2O.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 110.0

Snow Density: 0.9% H2O

Temperature: 21.7 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 25.0"

The north to south listing of available snowfall totals for the Vermont ski areas from Winter Storm Pandora are below.  Totals were highest in the north and south with a bit of a gap in some of the central areas:

Jay Peak: 8”

Smuggler’s Notch: 8”

Stowe: 9”

Bolton Valley: 11”

Mad River Glen: 8”

Sugarbush: 3”

Pico: 2”

Killington: 2”

Okemo: 6”

Bromley: 8”

Magic Mountain: 8”

Stratton: 8”

Mount Snow: 12”

I was in Stowe last night for the Dark Side of the Mountain show at the Rusty Nail and I am convinced it is a different world over there! Wow what a scene and the snow was coming down hard when I arrived. The depths were of course impressive too. It was a Norman Rockwell scene.

Wow:  6.5" here with only 0.20" of water.  (no board clearing till this morning).

That's 32.5:1 stuff.  Unreal fluff.

I really didn't see that coming--both the snow amount or the ratios.  I was banking on 3" or so...

6.4" down here in the valley as well.  Finally made it up to 24" on the ground.

I was in Stowe last night for the Dark Side of the Mountain show at the Rusty Nail and I am convinced it is a different world over there! Wow what a scene and the snow was coming down hard when I arrived. The depths were of course impressive too. It was a Norman Rockwell scene.

Haha that's awesome... you could've walked to my house. 

Great night to come to town, it was some of the most beautiful snowfall evenings this winter.  Just pouring big dendrites.

Haha that's awesome... you could've walked to my house. 

Great night to come to town, it was some of the most beautiful snowfall evenings this winter.  Just pouring big dendrites.

It was fantastic to see. Are the trees still covered? I was thinking of trying to get some pics today.

6.4" down here in the valley as well.  Finally made it up to 24" on the ground.

Nice!  I saw a report from Fairlee last night of 5"...but it was still coming down at that time.

Started the morning with 32" at the stake.  Should see a few inches of settling though.

Have to say, that may have been the easiest half-foot of snow I've ever plowed/snow-blowed/shoveled.  Light as a feather!  Makes me wish they were all like that.  ;)

3.2"/0.23" last night. Depth was up to 28"...back down to 26" now at my stake.

Monday into Tuesday looks brutally cold. Lots of -20s and -30s up north and well into the -10s here on MOS. I have a chance at my coldest of the season.

My avg min for the month is currently at -0.1F including the 17.5F from this morning. There's a pretty good bet I pull off my first month averaging a min below zero. I have a slight chance at a monthly avg below 10.0F as well.

Archived