Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter 2014-2015 Thread Part 2

klw

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Event totals: 2.6” Snow/0.08" L.E.

Yesterday evening we had some additional fairly fluffy snow, and then overnight the colder air came in with a transition to those smaller, arctic-like flakes that brought the density up to a more synoptic 10% H2O.  Additional information from the last two rounds of analyses are below.

Details from the 11:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 25.0

Snow Density: 4.0% H2O

Temperature: 7.5 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 18.0"

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: -4.4 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 18.0"

North to south list of updated storm totals for the Vermont ski areas; this appears to have generally been a 5-6" event:

Jay Peak: 8”

Smuggler’s Notch: 5”

Stowe: 4”

Bolton Valley: 5”

Mad River Glen: 6”

Sugarbush: 6”

Pico: 5”

Killington: 5”

Okemo: 5”

Bromley: 6”

Magic Mountain: 6”

Stratton: 5”

Mount Snow: 5”

The next period of snow appears to be over the weekend, with the current point forecast for our location calling for potential accumulations in the 3-6" range.  That's seems pretty consistent with comments in the BTV NWS forecast discussion:

.SHORT TERM /6 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH SUNDAY/...

SNOWFALL: EXPECTING A LIGHT SNOW EVENT WITH TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS OF 3 TO 6 INCHES ACROSS EASTERN AND CENTRAL VT...INCLUDING THE NORTHEAST KINGDOM...2 TO 4 INCHES IN THE CHAMPLAIN VALLEY AND EASTERN DACKS...AND 1 TO 3 INCHES FOR THE SAINT LAWRENCE VALLEY AND WESTERN DACKS. EXPECT AREAS OF BLOWING AND DRIFTING...GIVEN EXPECTED WINDS....WHICH WILL CREATE REDUCED VIS BELOW 1SM AND VERY POOR DRIVING CONDITIONS.

A buddy texted me from the Upper (CT) Valley and said it was snowing heavily a little while ago.  Not much going on here.  1.8" on the day.

Left work in Hanover last evening right as that puppy was rolling through here.  Definitely dumped for a while but didn't add up to a whole lot -- half-inch or so.  Nice little white-out for a few minutes though.

Aw c'mon, little frostbite never killed anyone. Well, maybe it has.

I am going to break out those hand and tow warmers.

I was just out for some runs, its cold but it really doesn't seem to matter what the actual temp is once its below like -10F.  I can't tell the difference between -13F and -25F haha.

Thru yesterday, February is running 13.1 below my 17-yr avg. 9 of 12 days have featured subzero minima, and the other 3 are +1 (twice) and zero. Avg temp is 2.0 (14.2/-10.2), and given the consistent runs of unyielding cold on the 16-day gfs, the mark for coldest Feb (10.5 in 2007) is almost certain to fall, and coldest month (5.2 in Jan 2004) might be in play.

I was just out for some runs, its cold but it really doesn't seem to matter what the actual temp is once its below like -10F.  I can't tell the difference between -13F and -25F haha.

I think there are some benchmarks for cold (excluding wind). 

In my experience 15-30 is about the same. Can't tell the difference. 

5-15 is about the same as well.  This is where I start to sense some cold. 

5 to -10 is where I'm like, whoa. It's cold. 

Below -10F it is just really cold and I'm unlikely to be warm and there is no difference between -13 and -20. 

I was just looking at the snow data for Pittsburg.

http://www.johnsnhweather.com/wxsnowdetail.php

They get a lot of snow each year, but good lord what a tediously boring way to do it.  The thought of cleaning my car off 15-20 times per month would drive me insane.

eek,  you don't need a car, just your snowmobile.  The trails go everywhere!

I was just looking at the snow data for Pittsburg.

http://www.johnsnhweather.com/wxsnowdetail.php

They get a lot of snow each year, but good lord what a tediously boring way to do it. The thought of cleaning my car off 15-20 times per month would drive me insane.

Haha it's like an insurance policy for when you don't get big storms...lots of daily snows. But when you do get the big storms it can get quite snowy.

Archived