SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter 2014-2015 Thread Part 2

klw

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if this has been mentioned. Eastport Maine was buried by three straight storms. Check out this bit of information from Caribou NWS: 76" since January 24th!!!

Ignoring fractions, they've received storms of 11", 26", 21", 18".   Incredible!   Other than 2/69 at Pinkham Notch (77" over 4 days), I don't think I've seen anyone in the East and not way up on a mountain get pounded that hard during 1.5 weeks.    MBY got 0", 20", 9", 7.5", and I'm very well pleased with less than half of what they got. 

Ignoring fractions, they've received storms of 11", 26", 21", 18". Incredible! Other than 2/69 at Pinkham Notch (77" over 4 days), I don't think I've seen anyone in the East and not way up on a mountain get pounded that hard during 1.5 weeks. MBY got 0", 20", 9", 7.5", and I'm very well pleased with less than half of what they got.

I'll provide some stuff later but I can think of December 2003 and February 2009 where some spots in the Greens below 2500ft picked up 5-7 feet in a week or so.

Eastport though would be hard to beat outside of the mountains though, cause even Pinkham Notch is a mountain site.

There were some spots getting 60"+ in 5 days in 2010 in eastern NY and SVT.

Some musings...

12F at 7pm and calm wind, doesn't feel that bad outside.

Started the season with 6 rows of stacked wood  (about 7 cords).   Just finished row 4 tonight.  Don't think my 2 rows left are going to get me through....have oil backup after I run out.

Watched Boston news tonight, an unbelievably bad commute. Streets are really narrow.  If that Thursday storm had come to fruition they would really have been in a mess.   Parade is a go tomorrow at 11am.  Channel 5 asked viewers if it should be cancelled considering there is so little parking space in the city and the streets have 5 foot banks.  81% of people said cancel.

Some musings...

12F at 7pm and calm wind, doesn't feel that bad outside.

Started the season with 6 rows of stacked wood (about 7 cords). Just finished row 4 tonight. Don't think my 2 rows left are going to get me through....have oil backup after I run out.

Watched Boston news tonight, an unbelievably bad commute. Streets are really narrow. If that Thursday storm had come to fruition they would really have been in a mess. Parade is a go tomorrow at 11am. Channel 5 asked viewers if it should be cancelled considering there is so little parking space in the city and the streets have 5 foot banks. 81% of people said cancel.

Ive burned about 2 cord so far and keep bringing more in. I've got plenty more to tap but it's going fast.

Wouldn't it be more fun to ski on a trail where you don't have to worry about having a sapling smack your crotch at high speed?

I remember going cross country skiing at Gunstock once and encountered a slight slope.  I must have been going a solid 10 mph and all I could think about was medicalbillsmedicalbillsmedicalbillsmedicalbills.

I look at those pictures and keep thinking, what happens if there is a horizontal sapling and your ski tips go under and then boom, it hits your leg at 20mph. Are the glade areas gone through before season for hazards, or is it just skiing in the woods at your risk?

Skiing the woods is at your own risk and yeah, accidents happen but thats true in most adventure sports. At least we generally don't have to worry about avalanches to the degree they do out west.

But yeah there are downfall that can trip you up and lead to boot-top fractures...though if you ski the woods and backcountry a ton, you sort of can read the snow and terrain to some degree to know if there's something under there. A lot of fat skis these days have good float so you stay on top. This season the snowpack is rock solid on the lower 20" from the earlier wet snows and rain, so hitting stuff isn't as worrisome as it is if we just have 30" of upslope fluff on dirt.

A lot of these lines are cleared by locals in the summer and I've hiked a lot of them so I feel comfortable with it. Just tread lightly and sort of stuck to your instincts as to what looks like it may lie below the snow.

Found this link on the caribou nws homepage regarding this recent stretch of snow:

http://www.weather.gov/car/recordsnowystretch

Eastport...

The CoCoRaHS observer in Eastport has gotten the most snow...with 76.0 inches since January 24. The following are the snow reports taken at 7 am each day from Jan 25 to Feb 3: 7.2, 0.0, 9.2, 13.3, 3.2, 0.0, 17.3, 7.7, 0.0, 18.1.

There was just a trace of light snow at the house this morning with small arctic flakes falling, but I figured I'd better put together the totals for the Vermont ski areas from Winter Storm Linus before it got too late and snow started to accumulate from this next potential event.

North to south listings of upper mountain/higher totals are below; generally using 48/72-hour data as available.  Storm totals appear to have been ± 10 inches in the northern half of the state, with totals increasing in the southern half of the state into the 12-18" range:

Jay Peak: 7”

Burke: 11"

Smuggler’s Notch: 8”

Stowe: 10”

Bolton Valley: 10”

Mad River Glen: 10”

Sugarbush: 9”

Middlebury: 8”

Suicide Six: 8”

Pico: 9.5”

Killington: 9.5”

Okemo: 15”

Bromley: 11”

Magic Mountain: 12”

Stratton: 17”

Mount Snow: 18”

Low overnight was -2°F just after midnight. Current temp is 6.5°F.

A capture from my weather cam. The cam will need to be moved soon. It is 5 feet off the ground and the snow is just about up to the bottom of the cam. That’s not shovel piles either. You can see part of the path, in lower right corner, to the bird feeders. I'll make sure not to pile snow up in front of the cam for now.

post-2106-0-52931700-1423052687_thumb.jp

As we have hit the halfway point in the Mreaves winter (Thanksgiving through the end of March), I have been thinking about what grade I would give it so far.  I have to say that this winter has been almost perfect, to me.  We had good, QPF heavy, snow early, that built a great base.  The December temp at KMPV ended up +3.5° but our snow pack survived the annual Grinch stretch through the holidays and we seemed to be able to somehow stitch together net gainers, or at least no really big melters in that stretch.  Early January continued with theme where we were able to avoid a complete melt down even though the temp hit 50° on the 4th.  Things have steadily improved since then.  KMPV hasn't been above freezing since it hit 34° on the 19th and haven't hit 30° since the 24th. Even though we haven't been in bullseye for big snowstorms like they have in SNE, we have had regular bouts of snow that just haven't gone anywhere or even sublimated all that much.  January ended up -5.2° and February has started of with a bit of a chill too, -17.2° for the first 3 days. 

Overall, I would give this winter an A- up to this point.  The only black mark is the seemingly annual Grinch period around the holidays.  The snow pack is in great shape with a depth of 18" to 22" in my yard.  It is a really durable snowpack too, with a qpf heavy base topped with powder.  Our snowmobile trails are in fantastic shape and the ski areas have done well.  Personally, I like a pattern that gives us regular 4"-6" refreshers, punctuated by the occasional bigger storm.  It keeps things nice and wintry without overwhelming you with the work that goes along with snow removal etc.  For my purposes, this is pretty close to the perfect winter.  Now, if we could only shed ourselves of the Grinch.

.1 overnight and we were closing in on that second tenth.  Conditions were brutal out there, the plows were nary to be seen probably either snowed into place or frozen by the wicked temps.  The sea was angry that day my friend.

Archived