Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter 2014-2015 Thread Part 2

klw

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Event totals: 2.8” Snow/0.79" L.E.

It's just cloudy out there right now, but there does appear to be some snow moving into the area from the northwest:

19JAN15B.gif

The forecast here calls for another 1-2" with orographic snows:

.SYNOPSIS...

WINTRY PRECIPITATION HAS BEEN SHUTTING DOWN OVER THE AREA AS A DRY SLOT MOVES IN FROM THE WEST. UNDER WESTERLY FLOW OROGRAPHIC SNOW SHOWERS WILL BE POSSIBLE THROUGH THIS AFTERNOON AS THE LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM TRACKS NORTHEAST.

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 7 PM THIS EVENING/...

AS OF 614 AM EST MONDAY...NO MAJOR CHANGES TO THE FORECAST FOR THIS UPDATE. COMPOSITE RADAR SHOWS THE SHORTWAVE ENERGY PUSHING INTO THE ADIRONDACKS AND INTO CLINTON COUNTY FROM CANADA. EXPECT THOSE SNOW SHOWERS TO CONTINUE TO DEVELOP AS THE UPSLOPE SHOWER ACTIVITY SHOULD PRODUCE 1-3 INCHES OF SNOWFALL THROUGH THE MID MORNING ACROSS PORTIONS OF THE ADIRONDACKS AND THE GREEN MOUNTAINS.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.16 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 6.9

Snow Density: 14.5% H2O

Temperature: 33.1 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 7.0"

Picked up a consolation backside inch last night--just enough to cover and bind to all the ice from the front-side rains.

1.12" of total water.

Roads are a mess out there.

Wow, I'm surprised you only got an inch. 4" over here. Flipped around 9:00 and snowed hard for a while. Going to fun to snowblow.

Wow, I'm surprised you only got an inch. 4" over here. Flipped around 9:00 and snowed hard for a while. Going to fun to snowblow.

I guess the colder air aloft took just long enough to get this far east that there wasn't a lot of precip left by the time we turned over to snow....which was around 11:30 last night.

The webcam in Washington--just a few miles but 300' higher and further west looks to show several pasty inches.  Close but no cigar here.  :pimp:

Ugly storm here in central Maine.  Had a nice little 6" snowpack going, but back down to dirt except for snow piles.  Temperatures must have really ripped up to 50 or so for this kind of damage.  Won't get below freezing again until this evening.

I guess the colder air aloft took just long enough to get this far east that there wasn't a lot of precip left by the time we turned over to snow....which was around 11:30 last night.

The webcam in Washington--just a few miles but 300' higher and further west looks to show several pasty inches.  Close but no cigar here.  :pimp:

only 1.8 here.  It was almost midnight by the time we switched.

Starting to torch again with the sun out. 41F. Snowmobile trails took a beating state-wide last night I'd imagine.

Was going to ask about that. Lot if people from VT head up there for the reciprocal weekend at the end of this month. Our trails are good right now so probably will stay here.

I snuck in a few turns at Bolton this afternoon and it was coming down hard! I had a good 2 inches in the hour and a half or so I was there.  The mountain was powder even on the normally groomed trails and because the snow was wet last night it was leg burning for sure. It was also quite a bit of fun.

I snuck in a few turns at Bolton this afternoon and it was coming down hard! I had a good 2 inches in the hour and a half or so I was there.  The mountain was powder even on the normally groomed trails and because the snow was wet last night it was leg burning for sure. It was also quite a bit of fun.

Yeah at Stowe we average 1"/hr all afternoon with some definitely heavier bursts in there.  3-4" fell from like 12pm through 4pm.  I've got another 1-2" at home, too.

Yeah at Stowe we average 1"/hr all afternoon with some definitely heavier bursts in there.  3-4" fell from like 12pm through 4pm.  I've got another 1-2" at home, too.

Nice and the Bolton Road was a disaster and an adventure of its own. Several people stuck along the way. I almost didn't get up there because of someone blocking the road on the steepest section.

Event totals: 3.8” Snow/0.97" L.E.

We were at Stowe earlier today, and there wasn't much going on in terms of snowfall at that point, but it started to pick up a bit as we were leaving mid morning to head to Bolton Valley.  There was generally a very wet snow falling in the valleys, but once we hit ~1,000' elevation on the Bolton Valley Access Road the temperature had cooled enough that the flakes were really starting to stick.  During the afternoon there was a much steadier snow on the mountain, with rates up to 1"/hr at times.  With the steady snowfall and a little wind on some of the trails, we were definitely finding some refresher runs where our previous tracks were getting filled in.  That's part of the fun of storm days of course.  Anyway, the snow was great today – it was getting a bit dense down below 2,000', but it was all around hard to complain:

19JAN15A.jpg

The snowfall was much more robust in the valley when we headed back down, as it seemed like the temperatures had cooled a bit.  I found a new inch of snow on the snowboards when we got home, and it was still quite dense, being comprised of 0.14" of liquid.  I actually found 0.18" of liquid in the rain gauge, which I suspect is from the snow that was melting on contact when the temperatures were a bit warmer.  As of 5:00 P.M. there was already another 1.5" of snow on the boards, so it was coming down in the range of ½"-1"/hr during that period.

Details from the 3:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.0 inches

New Liquid: 0.14 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 7.1

Snow Density: 14.0% H2O

Temperature: 33.8 F

Sky: Snow (5-15 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 7.5"

Below is the north to south listing of storm totals that I've seen as of this afternoon for the Vermont ski areas; the Killington/Pico report is up to 16.5", but the snow totals really fall off south of there:

Jay Peak: 10”

Burke: 8”

Smuggler’s Notch: 13”

Stowe: 13”

Bolton Valley: 11”

Mad River Glen: 13”

Sugarbush: 12”

Middlebury: 8”

Pico: 16.5”

Killington: 16.5”

Okemo: 4”

Bromley: 6”

Magic Mountain: 2”

Stratton: 2”

Mount Snow: 4”

Good numbers from the Mansfield COOP...that's a pretty big snowfall for their collection method.  Snow depth increased by 10" which sounds about right, as the fluffy powder underneath was probably crushed under this snow.  So a 10" net gain in pack is pretty sweet considering how fluffy the snow under was.  

And with upper mountain depths nearing 5 feet, all terrain is carte blanche right now.  Good to go exploring in the woods and backcountry.  50" is usually the number when backcountry skiing really comes into its own.

DAILY HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL DATA
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
524 PM EST MON JAN 19 2015

STATION            PRECIP   TEMPERATURE   PRESENT         SNOW
                   24 HRS   MAX MIN CUR   WEATHER     NEW TOTAL SWE
...VERMONT...
MOUNT MANSFIELD     1.07    31  18  18                9.5  56

Archived