• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/7-1/8 Brief, Intense Cold Shot

Hoosier

A couple blasts of cold coming up...one early next week and a more intense one for the middle of the week, which this thread is for.  Not looking like all-time legendary cold but certainly respectable and will be a shock to the system considering it's been somewhat mild thus far. 

Wednesday looks really cold around here.  With 850 mb temps possibly around -26C and what looks like fairly shallow mixing (plus I'm expecting we'll have snow cover), I'm thinking daytime temps will struggle to get to 0 with better than a 50/50 shot of staying below 0.  We might run into the same issue that happened last winter at times though...the ol' midnight high.

Looking beyond, things look to moderate fairly quickly.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would be impressive if we could stay 0˚ or below on Wednesday. Guess it depends on if we get any snow cover...and/or if we get midnight high'ed.

You will have snow cover. You should stay below 0 most of the day. You will probably have midnight high of 3 or something like that. Still impressive for such a relatively quick cold shot.

EDIT: I'm disappointed that Hoosier didn't title the thread Polar Vortex 2015. It would have drawn massive media attention.

You will have snow cover. You should stay below 0 most of the day. You will probably have midnight high of 3 or something like that. Still impressive for such a relatively quick cold shot.

EDIT: I'm disappointed that Hoosier didn't title the thread Polar Vortex 2015. It would have drawn massive media attention.

I could totally see something like that happening, unless it trends a little quicker with arrival.

Something else about this cold shot is the absolutely massive high pressure system associated with it.  January barometric pressure records look to be threatened in a large chunk of the central US...and maybe even some all-time readings in some spots. 

Yeah, especially that far south. Occasionally you'll see it in MT or ND...if ever. I believe that the Christmas 1983 arctic outbreak was over 1060 mb...but obviously that's rarefied air.

Right.  It's never happened as far east as what the GFS shows so that would be historic in a sense. 

Point has -15 for Thursday morning.  With some fresh/dry snow on the ground and that massive high moving in I'd say that might not be cold enough. 

If we can line up the area of significant snow with the best radiational cooling conditions, it could get interesting.  Unclear how good of a setup it's going to be as some indications of winds staying up just a bit.

DVN mentioning the likelihood for wind chill warnings later in the week with wind chills down near -40.  Really didn't expect to see such brutal cold after how warm Dec was.  Was starting to think we'd escape the winter without extreme cold like this, but I was wrong.

THE WAPSI VALLEY WILL LIKELY BE THE AREA OF
COLDEST AIR AND COULD SEE LOWS NEAR -20 WEDNESDAY NIGHT. WIND
CHILLS OF ALMOST 40 BELOW ZERO ARE POSSIBLE IN THAT AREA. THESE ARE
DANGEROUS VALUES...FROSTBITE ON EXPOSED SKIN COULD OCCUR IN LESS
THAN 10 MINUTES WEDNESDAY NIGHT INTO THURSDAY MORNING. IT IS LIKELY
THAT WIND CHILL WARNINGS WILL BE ISSUED TONIGHT OR TOMORROW FOR WEDNESDAY
INTO TO THURSDAY AM.

Archived