SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 3-4, 2015 Storm Obs/Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over to sleet now. As is often the case with SWFEs, the sleet line moved in quicker than I thought and SE MA is still getting snow while NW MA is flipping.

MPM should flip by 7-7:30 at this rate.

Baking powder bomb here right now. Dense. Won't accumulate too well but roads are a mess.

24/22 1" new. See how long we can hold off the pellets.

The ping line is slowing down ever so slightly. Hp putting up its fight for us. Helping out our northern friends a lot more in the end.

looks like the sleet / mix line has temporarily stopped advancing northeast as evidenced by the echoes 'washing out'. Could really rip in northeast mass if the second batch of precip over southeast new york / long island arrives in time. 

looks like the sleet / mix line has temporarily stopped advancing northeast as evidenced by the echoes 'washing out'. Could really rip in northeast mass if the second batch of precip over southeast new york / long island arrives in time.

I still think Boston pings by about 8pm. Interior NE MA might hold off until 9pm or 10pm.

That stuff over NY and LI will not be snow by the time it gets into SNE.

Wind, cold, snow, cars slipping going up my hill feels like winter again. Got totally bummed today when driving by the drift fields on RT 49 in Sterling Ct, the state put up snow fences in the middle of the fields. No exaggeration when I say and state plow driver KBC360 will agree, one the most perfect drift spots in CT. Long half mile corn fields on the top of a 700 ft rise orientated NW to SE . I have seen 15-20 ft drifts there. Pretty sad day for me.

Just checked in for a sec, I've got some really good pics of that drifting I'll post somewhere later in an appropriate category

I still think Boston pings by about 8pm. Interior NE MA might hold off until 9pm or 10pm.

That stuff over NY and LI will not be snow by the time it gets into SNE.

yeah for the pike region it should flip between 0z - 1z

idk it looks like the region of precip over s/w ct and s/e ny will make it to northeast mass as it is flipping over? 

Over to sleet now. As is often the case with SWFEs, the sleet line moved in quicker than I thought and SE MA is still getting snow while NW MA is flipping.

MPM should flip by 7-7:30 at this rate. 

It's not coming down hard.  Whatever it is, it's not really sleet, but maybe some type of really needly snow.  We'll see if we can get to something better.  But, I think we're about to go to a pure sleet situation once the rates pick up.

20.3/18

lol.

You think he'd lost a good friend in those fields.

Although I have the same fetish.

There's a spot just north of me on my road that sees some decent drifting as well. Nothing like the area Steve is talking about, but good drift sightings just the same.

Lmao

snowing very nicely last half hour in NE mass, lets see if we can get some nice intensity next hour or two, then its OVA

The sleet line is definitely getting some resistance near Sturbridge, MA

Jan3_615pm_Radar_CC.gif

Like clockwork.

I don't know if anyone remembers my SWFE climo tangents, but I always cite that town, specifically when delineating where exactly the sleet line is met with resistance in what had been hitherto an inexorable march northward through the hills of Tolland.

Never fails.

25.8/19

Pouring the most pristine, absolutely goassamer dendrites fathomable.

Heavy sleet here now in Woodbury. Ended with almost 3", which is more than I had thought.

Just went out for a drive. Bad accident on route 6...car hit a pole and split in half. Had to be going way over speed limit in very icy surfaces. Not cool. Hope they're ok, but didn't look good based on car. Be careful ya'll. Over.

Archived