• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/5-1/6 clipper system

Thundersnow12

...or as I like to refer to it, 'measuring from the taint'.    But seriously, congrats to you guys, as we rounded the bend inside 48hrs, it pretty much looked great for you guys, even if things had shifted either way.  

You know how this works though....5 six inchers in the last year and a half means prepare yourself for a cyclonesque run in the future.  Ma nature, the great equalizer.

Most likely. :lol:

I told Hoosier a little earlier today that we've had them in bunches lately.

Feb 2007-Feb 2008: four 6"+ events

Mar 2013-Jan 2015: six 6"+ events

Pretty big gap in-between...though 09-10 and 10-11 weren't void of decent events here, just none got to 6".  

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most likely. :lol:

I told Hoosier a little earlier today that we've had them in bunches lately.

Feb 2007-Feb 2008: four 6"+ events

Mar 2013-Jan 2015: six 6"+ events

Pretty big gap in-between...though 09-10 and 10-11 weren't void of decent events here, just none got to 6".  

We can't pretend like 4" sleet, 2" of snow on GHD didn't happen.  :whistle:

Sucks about the lower ratios on the northern end but there were some warning signs...seemed to be overlooked/underplayed in general.  We seemed to be in a good zone here with multiple reports indicating ratios in the 17-20:1 range or a tad higher, about what was expected.

Consensus of models worked out good for precip here.  Euro was too dry.

Based on the reports upstream yesterday, I knew it was going to be sugar. There was no way areas further south would get dust and not us. On the positive note, this stuff doesnt budge. No compacting/settling at all (at least to the naked eye, Im sure there my be a minimal amount), unlike fluff that you need to measure asap lol. We are starting to layer it like a dessert here...1.0" two days ago, 0.8" of sugar last night...more Thursday. At least it looks like winter.

After all that model watching, I don't think any of the GFS/NAM/Euro got the qpf placement/amount exactly right for Iowa.  The result was a little bit of each model.  It was nice to have something solid to track and, despite still not breaking my >6" storm drought, I'm quite happy with the result.  5.8" isn't "big", but it looks like quite a bit compared to all the 1-2" storms we've had the last couple winters.

After all that model watching, I don't think any of the GFS/NAM/Euro got the qpf placement/amount exactly right for Iowa.  The result was a little bit of each model.  It was nice to have something solid to track and, despite still not breaking my >6" storm drought, I'm quite happy with the result.  5.8" isn't "big", but it looks like quite a bit compared to all the 1-2" storms we've had the last couple winters.

Yeah this system beat all of last season's snows here.  Last season's heaviest snowfall here was only a paltry 4.5"er with the March 1st storm.  

Yeah this system beat all of last season's snows here.  Last season's heaviest snowfall here was only a paltry 4.5"er with the March 1st storm.  

Wow...we had 7 or 8 storms last winter exceed 4.5". I knew you needed a 6"er but cant believe thats your best last winter. Still rooting for you (if it doesnt cost me :P)

Archived