• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/5-1/6 clipper system

Thundersnow12

12z PGFS lost it too but it's also been doing that and next run its back. 12z Ukie still tracks just south of the OH River and it looks like 12z GFS had another small shift south. Might end up a most of IL/IN/OH event when all said and done.

Maybe. Or maybe a northern MI event. Seriously...declaring winners, even with the word "might", 5 days out is not a good idea. In 5 days the present storm went from suppressed garbage to way NW. The models are worse than ever, so right now its nothing more than a waiting game. The key imo is that its still very high support in the GFS ensembles. If they all start to lose it, THATS when I will worry, not about exact track.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wave is still way out there but this easily looks like the best clipper potential that the subforum has seen so far this winter.

Gotta be careful to not fall into a trap of assuming everything is going to suck because winter hasn't been good so far.

Excellent post! Remember, in November most some nice bouts of snow. All it took is one snowless month for everyone to think it will never snow again :lol:

Clippers are traditionally very high ratio events, and with temps in the teens that is almost a given this time. Clippers were one of my favorite weather events growing up because back in the 1990s we didnt get 150-200%+ of climo snowfall every other winter :lol:. They were the bread and butter of winters in the southern Lakes and northern OV until the 6"+ storm parade started this century. Its a risk to say, but i think this event is more a worry about where the clipper will track, not if it will even happen.

it's been a fantastic winter....I don't know where this negativity is coming from. Sorry.  That aside, show me this fantastic circulation and waa on the euro and ggem.

meet me over in the banter thread, I'll really make your day!

Lol. 

I never said fantastic. 

But here you go, I'd call 40-50kts at 900mb some pretty good WAA. It also has 850mb winds out of the SW early on at 45kts which is why you're seeing a better precip signal just north of the tight baroclinic zone. 

But feel free to keep riding your GEM

You could also argue so very favorable/high ratios if this were to verify. It's not isothermal but it's fair close with about a depth of 450mb between -14 and -16 deg C. 

attachicon.gifdgz.gif

Clippers are traditionally very high ratio snow. WAA snow is traditionally decent ratio snow as well. So you give me a clipper, with WAA where temps start in the single digits, then spike into the teens, then fall back in the single digits after the snow passes....Im thinking this has the potential to be an overachiever even if a bullseye is nailed down. Hopefully it will be a very widespread swath of accumulating snow but the much smaller "bullseye" streak of snow could even be low end warning. Ive seen it before.

12z Euro has about 1.0-1.5" of snow for SE Michigan and YYZ. Nothing spectacular. Then some bitter cold. 850s are around -20 to -30C for most of us and surface temps at/below 0F. However, without a decent snowpack, sfc temps may end up being warmer than what the models show atm. 

Fantastic Winter!  <_<

12z Euro has about 1.0-1.5" of snow for SE Michigan and YYZ. Nothing spectacular. Then some bitter cold. 850s are around -20 to -30C for most of us and surface temps at/below 0F. However, without a decent snowpack, sfc temps may end up being warmer than what the models show atm. 

Fantastic Winter!  <_<

Euro throws down 0.08" of QPF at Pearson but ratios should be in the 15-20:1 range assuming thermals are fairly isothermal(don't have euro soundings but 850's are between -18 and -21c on this run). If we end up near/north of the digging vort, we should do better then just 1-1.5".

Fantastic Winter!  <_<

This will not be a 10-1 ratio snow. I have no idea where the swath will track, nor how strong (GFS) or weak (GEM) it will be, but I can GUARENTEE you its not 10-1 ratio snow. And btw, this is the best euro run yet, it has not really had the clipper until now.

Because it's the main model run in Canada, just like the GFS for the US and the ECMWF for Europe. They just don't stop running a significant model because it doesn't perform well all of the time.

Not only this but it might actually do well for most of Canada which is what matters to them.

Archived