• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-2015 Pattern Discussion Thread III

BIG FROSTY

Like Chris and I were discussing I think SC would have major potential for ice especially CAE. That is a monster wedge and you would probably see temps in the upper 20's if I had to guess with that. CLT would probably be sitting at 27 or so. 

You guys thinking it's too warm?  Quite possibly.  I notice the further on it goes, the Upstate gets in on it too.  My source is slow tonight.

Edit:  Now I see the heavier precip into the Midlands.  Ouch if it is modeled too warm.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This late next weekend timeframe has really got the attention of me and the guys who I work with on our site and social media pages here in the foothills...

The airmass part looks near perfect, I think the GFS in this day 6-7 timeframe is just doing its usual tricks of spitting bits and pieces out there not know ultimately at which time the whole thing will be coming through...

I think once we get inside of 5 days, you'll see the GFS make its decision on when exactly this storm would form and slide through the region...the key here is to be patient, this has the makings of our first event of the season.

You guys thinking it's too warm?  Quite possibly.  I notice the further on it goes, the Upstate gets in on it too.  My source is slow tonight.

I would say it is def. too warm....IF the high strength and placement is correct. Not too mention what could be a descent snow pack in the NE. That will need to be watched as well. How much snow falls from NY to VA just before this storm. 

The GFS trend has been less moisture since 12z

But the 0Z GFS is colder than the 12Z GFS..probably related. the 12Z setup was no good..it was too warm.

Meanwhile, Arctic batch #2 is starting to try to make a comeback for midmonth fwiw.

GFS does get/show ZR into CAE and GSP at times from what I can tell.  Love that Marion wx...The gfs is likely spitting out energy vs just pushing the whole thing out.  Again, too freakin early to get all worked up right now, but you have to admit...the players are on the field...Who's the coach and do they listen to what they need to do to produce??

I would say it is def. too warm....IF the high strength and placement is correct. Not too mention what could be a descent snow pack in the NE. That will need to be watched as well. How much snow falls from NY to VA just before this storm. 

Good points.  Even the "35f" line on these fancy maps is starting to turn it over to ice.  I'd assume it will definitely be modeled too warm... although I haven't even taken a look at dewpoints for evap cooling yet.  Could end up really nasty around a lot of GA/SC/NC.

The GEFS plumes of late have been trying to give a major ice storm in KCAE for the last few runs.

No doubt the airmass would be colder. everyone would be colder.  The CAD areas are super enhanced as well...WHY?  there is some weakness off the coast enhancing the NE FLOW.

GFS PARA is close to a perfect track at 5h for a storm around the 240 mark. Energy drops in to the SW and digs east meanwhile PV is dropping at the perfect time with a lot of associated energy. If the two linked up you would see fireworks. Not likely to happen but shows potential in this pattern. 

GFS PARA is close to a perfect track at 5h for a storm around the 240 mark. Energy drops in to the SW and digs east meanwhile PV is dropping at the perfect time with a lot of associated energy. If the two linked up you would see fireworks. Not likely to happen but shows potential in this pattern. 

That would be sick!!

I will put it this way, the GFS is PERFECT for ZR accum.  Slow and steady will ALWAYS win the ZR race.  My *GUESS* is that ALL of SC would be in play and NE GA as well with that look at the SFC with the high situation.  Models likely too warm.  Again, that will all have to watch, too early for all of that.  As is, this RUN*** shows a healthy ZR event from GSP-CAE to RDU and pretty close to CLT 

Archived