Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2015 obs/disco/short range

AlaskaETC

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because I would argue that LGA, JFK, BOS, etc. are representative of the temperatures inside NYC and Boston, i.e., they are not statistical outliers from nearby stations in the urban environment.  DCA, however, consistently reads 2 to 3 degrees warmer than stations inside the city that are at similar elevation but more urbanized.  In fact it's consistently is a "hotspot" within a 100 mile radius.

A statistician with no meteorological knowledge, who would look at temperature data from all the stations within 10 miles of DCA as just a series of numbers, would note DCA as a statistical outlier that simple randomness couldn't explain.  In other words, from a statistical perspective, there is something different about that particular site that causes the readings that are anomalously higher than other nearby stations.  Whether it's the siting location, or it's residual jet exhaust, or something else...I don't know.  I'm not arguing the UHI component that is prevalent at many of the Northeast airports, including DCA.  My point is that temperatures at DCA are anomalous relative to their immediate surroundings, more so than any other airport in the country IMO.  I'd be curious to know of other airports with a similar anomalous nature.

We don't have any one to one comparisons to state that it is in fact an outlier though. Wx Bug stations are mostly on the top of buildings several hundred feet off the ground. Home stations have an assorted bevvy of issues.  Mentioning jet exhaust almost nullifies your argument entirely too.. should stay away from that lol.

Archived