• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
CMH-DTW-IND-ORD-STL-YYZ Shared 6"+ Snowstorms

Chicago WX

Title is a little mis-leading, because as per my research, there's only been one winter storm that Chicago, Columbus, Detroit, Indianapolis, St. Louis, and Toronto all had at least 6" of snow.....and that being.....January 1-3, 1999.

I used Indianapolis as my baseline, and their 6"+ storms...and went and looked up the others to see what they got in those storms. 9 other storms came close, but one city failed in each case to get to 6". Regardless, we'll still take a peak at those storms later.

First up, the storm that did achieve the hard-to-achieve...January 1-3, 1999: The New Year's Day Blizzard

Chicago: 21.6"

Columbus: 6.6"

Detroit: 11.3"

Indianapolis: 10.9"

St. Louis: 8.0"

Toronto: 8.6" (15.1" at the downtown station)

And the last two...for which I have no storm track loops...but should be familar considering they happened last winter.

January 5-6, 2014

Chicago: 11.7"

Columbus: 0.3"

Detroit: 11.0"

Indianapolis: 11.4"

St. Louis: 10.8"

Toronto: 5.0" (1.7" at the downtown station)

February 4-5, 2014

Chicago: 7.0"

Columbus: 10.6"

Detroit: 8.0"

Indianapolis: 7.4"

St. Louis: 4.6"

Toronto: 6.3" (8.7" at the downtown station)

Appreciate it man, thanks!

Amazing thread.  It would be great if we could all cash in on the same storm, but that seems to be rare based on your research. 

Our sub-forum covers a lot of real estate...thus, pretty hard for everyone to cash at the same time. But, there are certainly some examples of a lot of us doing well enough in the same storm. Just need more Jan 1999's and we'll be all good. :D

yea neat stuff.   I don't think the January 5th storm last year should be included (for cmh).  I don't recall any snow at all.  If we did get .3" it was snow showers with the arctic front the next day.   As far as 1999, 6.3" seems low, but I guess that's the official airport record.  I know it was closer to 9 imby as well as in a lot of the suburbs.

• 1 month later...

Archived