• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Your Favorite 2014 Weather Events/Memories/Moments

Chicago WX

2014 coming to a close, so what's your favorite weather event/memories/moments/whatever of the past year?

Outside of the cold and snow early on, it was a pretty boring year IMBY. But, here's my list of favorites:

January 5 snowstorm followed by an arctic outbreak

January 22 arctic front/squalls

February 4-5 snowstorm

January-March wintry weather to close out a historic winter 2013-14 for LAF

Record cool July

August 21-22 heavy rainfall event

Really cold November

Anyways...Happy New Year, and hopefully 2015 is a fun weather year for all. :) 

this is a no brainer for me. most incredible snow I have ever seen. 37" fell at my house and even a report close by of 42"

Here is the snowfall map from the November 10-12 winter storm. The map was compiled using a mix of official and public reports. These numbers do not include the lake effect snow that has fallen since the morning of 11/12. The highest amounts reported were across the Huron Mountains, where more than three feet of snow fell. Additionally, there was a sharp drop-off in amounts across south-central Upper Michigan, with locations along Green Bay seeing less than an inch.

*The Great Detroit Flood of August 11th, 2014

*February 20th (surprise front-end 1-3" of) Thundersnow

*August 26th, 2014 Severe Weather Outbreak

*September 5th, 2014 Severe Weather Oubreak

*July 27th, 2014 Severe Weather Outbreak

*January 27th, 2014 (surprise/quick 2-4" and whiteout conditions) Arctic Front Snow

*February 1st, 2014 Snow Event

After 12 months of extremes dating back to the Spring of 2013 through the historic winter of 2013 - 2014 ... I would have to say that a very memorable component of 2014 is what seemed like an endless string of "top notch" days this summer that nearly all culminated with one magnificent sunset after another throughout the summer and fall of 2014.

And getting a last minute break in the clouds to see the partial solar eclipse.  This led to seeing a partial solar eclipse rainbow as a shower passed overhead....the first and prolly last time that I will see a partial solar eclipse rainbow....so that should count for something I suppose

The most unbelievable, amazing, yet humbling storm chasing day I'll ever have in my entire life. 

Witnessed four EF-4 tornadoes in a span of about 45 minutes near Stanton/Pilger/Wakefield in Nebraska on June 16th

Some of our better pictures 

This first one when from a cone to a wedge in about 1-2 minutes (Stanton wedge EF-4)

post-266-0-23638600-1419613085_thumb.jpg

These are are Pilger 1 and Pilger 1a (Both EF-4)

post-266-0-05073100-1419613092_thumb.jpg

The unreal microburst on June 23 is my most memorable. I have never experienced anything like that ever. It went from calm to 80+ mph winds and heavy rain like that. Couldn't see anything outside at which point i took cover for a few minutes until it sounded like it calmed down. Looked outside to see trees down and debris everywhere. Something i'm sure i'll never forget.

2014 coming to a close, so what's your favorite weather event/memories/moments/whatever of the past year?

Outside of the cold and snow early on, it was a pretty boring year IMBY. But, here's my list of favorites:

January 5 snowstorm followed by an arctic outbreak

January 22 arctic front/squalls

February 4-5 snowstorm

January-March wintry weather to close out a historic winter 2013-14 for LAF

Record cool July

August 21-22 heavy rainfall event

Really cold November

Anyways...Happy New Year, and hopefully 2015 is a fun weather year for all. :)

Nice list and I can't really add much.  The march toward a record winter stole the show.  I guess I'd add the June 30 derecho even though the more substantial effects were farther north.

~Jan-Mar 2014. Really what more can be said...I mean I can name specifics (see below) but really...the winter of ages is all that needs to be said lol

~Jan 1-2 snowstorm (foot of snow over 60 hours)

~Jan 5-6 snowstorm (11" snow, -50F wind chills by sunset, coldest air Ive ever felt)

~Jan 27 arctic front (blinding, unexpected whiteout)
~Feb 5 snowstorm (snow depth 20" with 3+ foot drifts in suburbia = orgasm)

~Feb 18 snowstorm brings depth to 21" with 3-4 foot drifts....snowbanks similar to northern UP of MI)

~Mar 1 snowstorm magically whitens the dirty snow and depth is still at 16"

~Feb 27 arctic blast froze snow into a foot deep block (4" water content), I could walk on top of it without sinking at all

~Mar 12 snowstorm..my TV appearance...just a few inches shy of the alltime record

~Apr 15 snowfall (3") breaks Detroits 134-year old season snowfall record at 94.9"

~May 8 - record high on my birthday (87F) brings dormant vegetation to green life in one day

~Amazingly cool July

~August 11 flooding rains...4-5" hit my area, flooding basements (not a favorite, but certainly something Ive never seen before)

~mid-November cold snap and powdery fluffy snow

The 3 big events for me are the flooding rains in August, which was one of the busiest days I have ever worked at the airport. The other 2 events were the back to back snowstorms to start January, by the end of the second snowstorm we had almost 30" of snow on the ground at my house, something I had never seen before locally.

Didn't have too many storms here locally this year.  The extreme cold back in January was probably the most notable weather here this year.  The wet June with over a foot of rain was impressive.

Chasing was pretty crappy for me this year.  Just can't out as often as I used to.  Did have a few decent ones though I guess.  The best would probably be the 5/11 Nebraska chase.  One of the beastliest sups I've ever seen.  Caught a brief low-contrast glimpse of the Beaver Crossing tor.  (Still kicking myself for missing the high-contrast, slow moving, very picturesque tors in eastern Iowa in July).

mrto90.jpg

EDIT:  Crappy vid stills like the one above was what got me to finally go get a DSLR.

EDIT#2: Put wrong vid on

Jan 4/5 18" snowstorm ended with Blizzard conditions

Multiple 6-12" snowstorms

Winter 14/15 record snows/lots of cold/great ski winter well into April

Decent T-storm late spring into summer season with some incredible lightning events near/IMBY

2 Severe T-storms with quarter+ size hail IMBY (thankfully the tennis ball hail started 5 miles to my east).

Couple Severe T-storms with 60-70 MPH wind gusts

Most intense heavy rain event I have seen in many years

White Halloween Night

10" of LES for Thanksgiving (while not IMBY but where we were staying).

Miracle 3/4" of snow Christmas eve (while not a white Christmas I am thankful we got what we did).

While I didn't care for the cooler summer it thankfully didn't mess up any of my summer events :thumbsup:

Incredible Fall Colors (best in the past few years)

Record colds on/off throughout the year

~8" LES event IMBY in November with a morning near 0F with squeaky cold snow!!

2 lightning strikes on Christmas Eve day

*The Great Detroit Flood of August 11th, 2014

*February 20th (surprise front-end 1-3" of) Thundersnow

*August 26th, 2014 Severe Weather Outbreak

*September 5th, 2014 Severe Weather Oubreak

*July 27th, 2014 Severe Weather Outbreak

*January 27th, 2014 (surprise/quick 2-4" and whiteout conditions) Arctic Front Snow

*February 1st, 2014 Snow Event

~Jan-Mar 2014. Really what more can be said...I mean I can name specifics (see below) but really...the winter of ages is all that needs to be said lol

~Jan 1-2 snowstorm (foot of snow over 60 hours)

~Jan 5-6 snowstorm (11" snow, -50F wind chills by sunset, coldest air Ive ever felt)

~Jan 27 arctic front (blinding, unexpected whiteout)

~Feb 5 snowstorm (snow depth 20" with 3+ foot drifts in suburbia = orgasm)

~Feb 18 snowstorm brings depth to 21" with 3-4 foot drifts....snowbanks similar to northern UP of MI)

~Mar 1 snowstorm magically whitens the dirty snow and depth is still at 16"

~Feb 27 arctic blast froze snow into a foot deep block (4" water content), I could walk on top of it without sinking at all

~Mar 12 snowstorm..my TV appearance...just a few inches shy of the alltime record

~Apr 15 snowfall (3") breaks Detroits 134-year old season snowfall record at 94.9"

~May 8 - record high on my birthday (87F) brings dormant vegetation to green life in one day

~Amazingly cool July

~August 11 flooding rains...4-5" hit my area, flooding basements (not a favorite, but certainly something Ive never seen before)

~mid-November cold snap and powdery fluffy snow

The 3 big events for me are the flooding rains in August, which was one of the busiest days I have ever worked at the airport. The other 2 events were the back to back snowstorms to start January, by the end of the second snowstorm we had almost 30" of snow on the ground at my house, something I had never seen before locally.

You guys nailed them all for me. All in all, there were quite a few "extreme" events in 2014 with several events I won't soon be forgetting. An unforgettable winter, the historic flash flood in August, and the September 5th severe outbreak which  brought wind damage locally that I haven't seen in well over a decade.

Nothing earth shattering IMO, but:

-May 12th supercells across the Cleveland and Akron metros. Several tornado warnings, two confirmed, and lots of hail reports. Nothing severe IMBY but interesting to watch play out.

-January 1-2 snowstorm...drawn out but ended up with over 10".

-January 5-6 frigid air

-February 2-3 snowstorm in Athens, OH. 6.5" of wet snow, which is significant down there.

-Although the total snowfall for the winter (I think I figured about 40") for Athens isn't a ton compared to what other parts of the subforum saw, it is 2-3 times the normal for down there (15-20"), which was nice to see. The frequent cold blasts made things "fun" as well.

-Heavy lake effect snow on Thanksgiving in Cleveland (saw about 7" at my house including 6" in a little over 2 hours)

January 6th/7th Blizzard- 23.5 inches of snow with 50 MPH winds and wind chills in the -20 to -30 range.

March 2014 Blizzard- 13.4 inches of snow recorded at KBUF with winds gusting over 40 MPH

Experiencing several boughts of Thundersnow

March Blizzard TSnow-

Nov LES TSnow-

November LES Event- 88 inches of snow in 3 days

Also watching this unfold live on ChaserTv was incredible. I didn't even know something like this was possible.

This has been the best weather year of my life, I have been totally spoiled. Nothing will ever compare to this year for the rest of my life. I still want to go tornado chasing and intercept a Cat 2+ hurricane. Those are on my bucketlist.

The most unbelievable, amazing, yet humbling storm chasing day I'll ever have in my entire life. 

Witnessed four EF-4 tornadoes in a span of about 45 minutes near Stanton/Pilger/Wakefield in Nebraska on June 16th

Some of our better pictures 

This first one when from a cone to a wedge in about 1-2 minutes (Stanton wedge EF-4)

attachicon.gifjune 16.jpg

These are are Pilger 1 and Pilger 1a (Both EF-4)

attachicon.gifjune 16a.jpg

Unreal! What is the possibilities of ever seeing that many EF-4 Tornadoes in that amount of time ever again?

May as well take a trip down memory lane a bit...

Here was an image from the Euro ensembles showing almost the entire country being below freezing as we headed into the arctic outbreak.

post-7696-0-10397700-1419652333_thumb.pn

Wind Chills on January 6th:

post-7696-0-68635000-1419652743_thumb.jp

A historic winter storm going on along the gulf coast as the Midwest and Great Lakes are in the freezer on January 27th.

post-7696-0-03246300-1419652505_thumb.pn

"The Arctic Squall"

post-7696-0-55247800-1419652887_thumb.gi

Detroit getting lashed by thunderstorms over and over on June 18th:

post-7696-0-95650400-1419653043_thumb.gi

Neat little mesoscale feature on the day of the August 11th floods:

post-7696-0-80972100-1419653133_thumb.gi

Archived