SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Forecast Discussion

REDMK6GLI

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FYI. No one broke news here over nite. The idea that we have not said that we break for about 5 days is a joke. Today is Jan 7 th and we are below normal until the 17th or 18th. Including yesterday that will mean we have a 12 day stretch of cold and potentially wintry weather.

Then we break for 5 days and then you see the MJO go into 7 8 1 and a neg EPO by day 14 is already rebuilding.

So the warm up is transient.

No one broke news here. 2 weeks of winter. Then 5 days of recycling this stuff and then you are gona go right back.

Why is anyone concerned about 300 hr 850s with all the next 10 days could offer.

FYI. No one broke news here over nite. The idea that we have not said that we break for about 5 days is a joke. Today is Jan 7 th and we are below normal until the 17th or 18th. Including yesterday that will mean we have a 12 day stretch of cold and potentially wintry weather.

Then we break for 5 days and then you see the MJO go into 7 8 1 and a neg EPO by day 14 is already rebuilding.

So the warm up is transient.

No one broke news here. 2 weeks of winter. Then 5 days of recycling this stuff and then you are gona go right back.

Why is anyone concerned about 300 hr 850s with all the next 10 days could offer.

Exactly! People wanted a real winter pattern and we have a good one for two weeks but they are looking past it and at a transcient warm up. Go figure.

Tonight's euro shows one of the many ways the big coastal can go wrong. Too early a phase results in an inland runner. Still a good storm signal and minor adjustments could result in more wintry outcomes for us.

Eps sticks with off shore track. Good news.

Typical euro bias. Things look fine thru 144 until it decides to blowup the system and make a cutter out of it. I dont buy it. The fact the eps is where its at with track should be a red flag.

This just goes to show how much a flip of a coin everything past the 10 day forecast can turn out. The models

did a great job forecasting the late December -EPO spike. So it looked like at the beginning of December

that the late month period would turn cold and potentially wintry. But the trough ended up in the west 

and the month finished mild in the East. You can see the Euro weekly nail the -EPO but miss the

trough in the East from the 12-4 run.

But the main problem continues to be that we are still not getting rid of the +AO

so that EPO ridge cannot build across to Greenland like we saw last January.

The colder trending pattern would be kind of a pyrrhic victory as long as the

+AO remains in place. We saw this pattern a lot back in the late 80's and

early 90's.

https://fox12weather.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/500za_week3_bg_na.png

attachicon.gif500.gif

Sorry to get back so late , was driving . I see the POS AO. The issue you are going to have is there are MULTIPLE cold signals that it will not be able to overcome .

POS PNA

NEG WPO

NEG EPO ( once again past the 17th ) .

Cold Canada

No SE  ridge .

MJO 7-8-1 , I  think we get there .

Clipper yesterday , snow squall today , 7 tonite , Clipper Fri , Over running Mon and Pot EC snowstorm on day 10  Pyrrhic Victory ?

I am down for that kind of Pyrrhic Victory .

All kidding aside , this is a very good pattern I hope it can produce .

The overrunning event is very thread the needle, if the high is too early we miss, if the high is too late its probably rain.  Yeah, I would watch Friday, the Canadian has been consistent showing that threat being more south into our area while most other models have been over SNE.  There will definitely be a few people who get lucky with it but probably not a widespread snow.

That's a pretty horrific look for a good chunk of the area. The surface freezing line never makes it more than 20 miles or so NW of NYC. Temps are in the 20's with decent precip over the area.

The Euro I hope has a colder solution. We do not want ice!!!

Rossi

It's going to change a dozen times over between now and Monday so I'm not going to worry too much about it but verbatim that would be 0.25"+ falling with the surface in the 20's and 850's and 925's above freezing. So it's only the lowest layer of the atmosphere so you get ZR instead of IP. And a bit further North the cold air isn't as shallow so it's probably more IP up that way.

Another potential event Wednesday/Thursday time frame with a 50/50 low in place, a fresh cold air source and a surface low that tracks from OBX to just outside the benchmark.

Been opined .

2 waves 

1st one is an over running event the 2nd one is the  bigger one . 

The longer duration stats for the new model are slightly better than the old model. But they real improvement seems

to be better scores day 8-10 with the increased resolution. The ensembles are also getting upgraded so at least

the ensemble means after day 7 will be better than they were before.

The PGFS for next week is essentially a very strong clipper that redevelops offshore. A solution with very little support at this time.

Archived