• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Forecast Discussion

REDMK6GLI

As we ring in 2015 very soon lets talk about what the first month of the new year may have in store for us. HOT TOPIC has been the el nino and can it live up to its reputation and once again be backloaded and make up for our dismal december snowfall departures. Battle between EURO & GFS continues for the forecasted pattern for january, find out more about it in this thread

Lets keep it constructive and the banter in the banter thread please. Look forward to seeing some great discussion yet again that we saw in the December Forecast Discussion thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I very much agreed with that post Patrick made in the December thread about how obsessing over the proper synchronization of 9 different indexes is probably not the best way to divine the meteorological future.  Those indexes are a tool; not an end in themselves.  Moreover, the chances of them all lining up just as you would have them are slim at best; and even if they did...there is still no guarantee that a major snowstorm would be the result...though obviously, the odds would be greatly enhanced. 

Being the simple soul that I am, I stick to the basics when looking ahead...a well entrenched cold regime...but not too well entrenched...and clear signs that would hint at weaknesses in the pressure field that would lead to potential cyclogenesis well off to our south & west (except of course if we are looking at one of those Alberta Clippers, Manitoba Maulers, or Saskatchewan Screamers). 

The other basics (50/50 Low in place, nice Hudson Bay High over Ontario & Quebec and just the slightest hint of a SE Ridge) usually tell me what I need to know.  But I in no way am criticizing those who are seeking deeper insight into what drives winter weather in this area...striving for knowledge is among the most noble of pursuits...just saying what works for me. 

Larry cosgrove still believes January will be cold he says we will have a 10 day thaw around mid month otherwise he sticks by his cold and snowy forecast!!!!

How cold does he say it will be?  Seasonably cold or abnormally cold?...because January is usually fairly cold even if temperatures are normal...

I once had a prof who said that "the previous January was cold on Long Island"...and I reminded him that the departure from normal was about +2.0 F...causing his argument to fall rather flat...

One thing I would add to your analysis Pam is the mechanism to provide lift (e.g., along the surface of a front, up the slopes of a higher terrain and where winds converge.   For those of us that like a lots of snow those Alberta Clippers, etc usually have low QPF and hence only light snow falls.  PS: you are too smart and should have been a met :)

One thing I would add to your analysis Pam is the mechanism to provide lift (e.g., along the surface of a front, up the slopes of a higher terrain and where winds converge.   For those of us that like a lots of snow those Alberta Clippers, etc usually have low QPF and hence only light snow falls.  PS: you are too smart and should have been a met :)

That is very kind of you to say and puts a big smile on my face!  Thnxs!

Bluewave is going to end being correct on this pattern change...we have a 5 day window then we go back to +epo and +nao...hopefully we don't loose the cold air in Canada...honestly I don't know where we go from here...

Widespread chance 12/28-1/5 period. Then the pattern looks to go in the toilet. Early January thaw....then into the ice box. We didn't have the thaw last year, but it's a phenomenon that happens most years and has been well-documented, so chances are we get one this season. Hopefully that's all we are seeing where the EPO and NAO go positive but then we can get them to tank during the middle of the month.

Widespread chance 12/28-1/5 period. Then the pattern looks to go in the toilet. Early January thaw....then into the ice box. We didn't have the thaw last year, but it's a phenomenon that happens most years and has been well-documented, so chances are we get one this season. Hopefully that's all we are seeing where the EPO and NAO go positive but then we can get them to tank during the middle of the month.

I thought the "Jan. Thaw" is near the 20th of the month on average.

When is the last time we have had a significant, sustained -NAO during the winter? Yeah, 2009-10. We had a severely -AO last winter with no meaningful NA blocking, with the QBO very positive. Its been in a negative phase this fall/winter but still the NAO remains positive or neutral. I am beginning to think its a meteorological impossibility.

Small window here guys. Dec 28 jan 8.

Euro weeklies smell. The next question is after this 10 day period which will be below normal prob starting on the 28th. When we pull back where do we go and for how long.

They haven't been good at all. Take the long range models with a grain of salt.

It's been 10 days away since mid November, when you see it inside 48hrs, that's when it will occur.

I admit that I haven't been looking at it that much, but 10 days away constantly since mid Nov? Not sure I buy that. I remember the elongation during Nov, but then re-establishing itself. I was posting more for the link, which is new. Since I posted it in the Jan. thread, I just thought I would mention what it shows

Archived