• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
12/20 Pre Grinch Mood Snows

40/70 Benchmark

That's exactly what just happened last week. The valley had nothing except a dusting which melted in 2 hours..I mean I'm not saying that is what's going to happen at all with this.It could all go to hell in a hand basket over the next few days..but as of now..that's what it's showing. Here's a pic I took this afternoon. Granted I'm going to lose it tomorrow..but you get down under 800 feet and there's patches in the shade.

011049E7-4644-46D1-AADE-113814A5D99D_zps

Hey that's winter right there...no matter if its only 2", the grass is covered and its white.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

outside of se ct, i live in about the worst place of all of sne for snow ( i dont care how anyone tries to spin the 48 inch average which i have not come up with in the ten years i have been measuring where i live).

furthermore despite all of that in the past few years even I have seen 30 inch snowpack, a storm just under two feet and one of a foot and a half, another pack of just under 20 inches and so on

sure the goods have been remarkably better in many other parts of sne but if we can pull off another relatively snowy year then we are so unbelievably ahead of the game. does anyone remember the 80s??

nne and not just upslope favored places are alarmingly overdue for a big winter or several of them, if it turns out to be their turn so be it.

all of the upcoming talk about the pattern change is super sexy and it sounds like regardless of how great or not great it ends up there should be plenty to track across the country and up the east coast.

no comments about caps or punctuation, im tired.

outside of se ct, i live in about the worst place of all of sne for snow ( i dont care how anyone tries to spin the 48 inch average which i have not come up with in the ten years i have been measuring where i live).

furthermore despite all of that in the past few years even I have seen 30 inch snowpack, a storm just under two feet and one of a foot and a half, another pack of just under 20 inches and so on

sure the goods have been remarkably better in many other parts of sne but if we can pull off another relatively snowy year then we are so unbelievably ahead of the game. does anyone remember the 80s??

nne and not just upslope favored places are alarmingly overdue for a big winter or several of them, if it turns out to be their turn so be it.

all of the upcoming talk about the pattern change is super sexy and it sounds like regardless of how great or not great it ends up there should be plenty to track across the country and up the east coast.

no comments about caps or punctuation, im tired.

How did you not have 48" in '10/11'? Even last year. 

Lol, no, not even close. You should try out the Cape for a few years.

Lol, no, not even close. You should try out the Cape for a few years.

no...the cape had jan 20005 and then six to twelve inches a few days later...plus all of those xrated storms that the jamesnichols fella brings up...the cape doesn't get as many storms but they get the epic ones to remember!!

actually their 04-05 winter was up there with our 95-96 but we certainly cannot say the same lol

The Cape can get crushed though. That area where he is isn't as susceptible to those monster storms. He will obviously will be better in overall snow though.

With all respect, that's bull. You can't say that Springfield doesn't get monster storms just because they will get 18" when outside of the valley might get 24", but the Cape does get monster storms because they can get 12" when everyone else smokes cirrus.

With all respect, that's bull. You can't say that Springfield doesn't get monster storms just because they will get 18" when outside of the valley might get 24", but the Cape does get monster storms because they can get 12" when everyone else smokes cirrus.

That area is probably a min in SNE relative to 18" plus events.  Sure maybe the Cape gets less 12-18" storms, but it's close. I'm also thinking wind, and aspects of a storm, not Currier and Ives 12"+ deals. They'll do better in snowpack retention.

i seriously question the so called 48 or in some cases said average of 50 inches...ten years i come up with just over 40 and there were a few good winters in there...maybe we will eventually get into a gradient pattern where we will make up some ground or get some good noreasters who drop 8 to 12 before a mix or changeover but im not sure how else it would happen

when i lived in bristol ct i had a solid average of 50 inches for the winters from 84-85 to 02-03...who knows maybe it would even be higher afterwards bc they got seriously destroyed in some recent winters etc...like i have said before they have had two two foot events and one event just under three feet!

That area is probably a min in SNE relative to 18" plus events.  Sure maybe the Cape gets less 12-18" storms, but it's close. I'm also thinking wind, and aspects of a storm, not Currier and Ives 12"+ deals. They'll do better in snowpack retention.

I don't disagree, but the criteria was snowfall. Not only does the Cape average significantly less than Springfield, but they have to deal with getting shafted by rain while everyone else gets big totals. So maybe the 1-in-20 or 1-in-30 year event is better on the Cape than it is in Springfield, but I don't think that makes up for the fact that every year there will be events where Springfield will get between 7-12" and the Cape will get a slushy inch at best.

i seriously question the so called 48 or in some cases said average of 50 inches...ten years i come up with just over 40 and there were a few good winters in there...maybe we will eventually get into a gradient pattern where we will make up some ground or get some good noreasters who drop 8 to 12 before a mix or changeover but im not sure how else it would happen

when i lived in bristol ct i had a solid average of 50 inches for the winters from 84-85 to 02-03...who knows maybe it would even be higher afterwards bc they got seriously destroyed in some recent winters etc...like i have said before they have had two two foot events and one event just under three feet!

and a pile of other events that doubled what i had in spfd in the years ive been up here

I don't disagree, but the criteria was snowfall. Not only does the Cape average significantly less than Springfield, but they have to deal with getting shafted by rain while everyone else gets big totals. So maybe the 1-in-20 or 1-in-30 year event is better on the Cape than it is in Springfield, but I don't think that makes up for the fact that every year there will be events where Springfield will get between 7-12" and the Cape will get a slushy inch at best.

Relatively though Springfield does worse than it seems it should for its location inland is I think what is trying to be said. But I agree it's going to be a lot better than the Cape.

Well then we should figure out exactly what we mean. No question CEF will do better with events at or below 12" and a no brainer they avg more snow.  However, the big events aren't very friendly to CEF and it would drive me nuts to know everywhere around me is getting more snow than I am. 

and a pile of other events that doubled what i had in spfd in the years ive been up here

Ok look, the reality is that much of the Cape gets about half the annual snowfall that you do, but I am not going to tell you that your location doesn't suck for snow. It does.

@DamageInTolland, what a beautiful site that picture is, I can't believe you took that today. It feels like worlds apart from where I am and we live in the same state. The only time mby looked like that this year was for 6 hours on the pre-thanksgiving day storm then it got washed away by rain.

I sometimes get jealous of places like Tolland, or the northwest hills or Danbury but then I think to myself...I'm glad I don't live in NYC or anywhere in LI for that matter. Worse yet the cape or islands. It's all about perspective, I'm thankful for what I got.

Ok look, the reality is that much of the Cape gets about half the annual snowfall that you do, but I am not going to tell you that your location doesn't suck for snow. It does.

The Cape gets more than that. From maybe 34-39" as a whole in most areas. The avg is also the sum of extremes there, but upper Cape gets just under 40.

@DamageInTolland, what a beautiful site that picture is, I can't believe you took that today. It feels like worlds apart from where I am and we live in the same state. The only time mby looked like that this year was for 6 hours on the pre-thanksgiving day storm then it got washed away by rain.

I sometimes get jealous of places like Tolland, or the northwest hills or Danbury but then I think to myself...I'm glad I don't live in NYC or anywhere in LI for that matter. Worse yet the cape or islands. It's all about perspective, I'm thankful for what I got.

Or Springfield, MA.

It's like 1.5" of grass showing snow...lol. You want beautiful, go to PF pictures.

I sometimes get jealous of places like Tolland, or the northwest hills or Danbury but then I think to myself...I'm glad I don't live in NYC or anywhere in LI for that matter. Worse yet the cape or islands. It's all about perspective, I'm thankful for what I got.

Well thanks, but no reason to be jealous. This area can do ok in marginal . setups . I tend to like ULL scenarios or smaller 1-3 type events. I'd take a whole winter of nickel and dimers and continuous snowpack if given the choice. I just enjoy having snow OTG. It's melting now with a temp of 35.1/ 34 , but it was nice having a wintry scene outside the last 6-7 days . But your area can actually hold CAD better than here depending on the setup so it's all relative

Archived