Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion Part 2

Trent

6 hours ago, dta1984 said:

What's your thoughts on the wind direction for les later in the week?  Thought I saw mention of WNW in one of the cle discussions.

Looks to start northwesterly later Wednesday night and gradually turn more due west by later Thursday. There should be a decent period Wednesday night into the first half or so of Thursday that the fetch favors your area. 

41 minutes ago, NEOH said:

Snow started around 6am. Snowing light to moderately at times. Heavier stuff to the south still to come through. 

Starting to pick up a bit now.  Looks like the current forecast of 2-3" is on track.  

Interested in the rest of the week with the lake effect.  Looks like several chance that will add up. 

35 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

Starting to pick up a bit now.  Looks like the current forecast of 2-3" is on track.  

Interested in the rest of the week with the lake effect.  Looks like several chance that will add up. 

Snowing heavily now. 2-3" looks like a good bet before the changeover. We should make up what we lose today on the backside. 

2 hours ago, vpbob21 said:

Not sure if this underperformed because of lake influence or the heavier rates skipping around us.  Probably a little bit of both.

Temperatures ran 1-3 degrees warmer than expected across almost all of our area and accumulations suffered quite a bit outside of the higher terrain and some areas closer to US 30 where heavy snow arrived earlier. A coworker near the office in Cuyahoga County had 1.6” of snow on 0.33” liquid which is :yikes:

1 hour ago, OHweather said:

Temperatures ran 1-3 degrees warmer than expected across almost all of our area and accumulations suffered quite a bit outside of the higher terrain and some areas closer to US 30 where heavy snow arrived earlier. A coworker near the office in Cuyahoga County had 1.6” of snow on 0.33” liquid which is :yikes:

To OHweather's point:

Officially 4.6" here in Toledo.  A true paste job.  Fought dry air intrusions through the event but had about an hour of +sn.  

Warm ground and temps hovering around 33 gave us a SLR of around 6-8:1

Appears that was a bit higher just to our North and West.  

18 minutes ago, Frog Town said:

To OHweather's point:

Officially 4.6" here in Toledo.  A true paste job.  Fought dry air intrusions through the event but had about an hour of +sn.  

Warm ground and temps hovering around 33 gave us a SLR of around 6-8:1

Appears that was a bit higher just to our North and West.  

I got 4.0 to 4.5" with pretty high density snow, with less than 4.0" snow depth on pavement, for sure. I think Toledo Express Airport has gotten 0.55" of water equivalent, so that could have normally been 5.5" to 6.0" on grass. It does look like 6.0" at Napoleon or Defiance with also over 6" towards Ann Arbor.  I wonder what the COCORAHS spotters will see for their water equivalent of snow for the 2-day period. My area certainly could be 0.55" like Toledo Express Airport.

• Like 1

Just a POS, junk system here the last two days. Estimated slightly less than 2” of snow yesterday morning here, but wasn’t home for most of it and it was down to an inch of new slush by the time I got home. Watched it snow half decently and melt on contact all day at the office in Brooklyn Heights…in hindsight, my snow forecast for the LES in the CLE metro was too ambitious since it didn’t stick all day today and because winds backed SW quicker than initially modeled this evening. At home in NE Summit County it did accumulate better than closer to the city of Cleveland and it did come down for a time early this evening…a little over 2” new today. 

On 1/25/2023 at 8:14 PM, Chinook said:

I got 4.0 to 4.5" with pretty high density snow, with less than 4.0" snow depth on pavement, for sure. I think Toledo Express Airport has gotten 0.55" of water equivalent, so that could have normally been 5.5" to 6.0" on grass. It does look like 6.0" at Napoleon or Defiance with also over 6" towards Ann Arbor.  I wonder what the COCORAHS spotters will see for their water equivalent of snow for the 2-day period. My area certainly could be 0.55" like Toledo Express Airport.

Seemed like all of the reports in Lucas Co were between 4-6” (but with no one reporting a full 6.0”). It was relatively impactful for Toledo as it snowed hard with a number of accidents involving semis on the interstates near the city in the early afternoon, but slightly less QPF due to the dry slot and low ratios ate into the expected snow totals a good bit. Just west where rates were more consistently heavy (and it was more like 32-33 degrees) got a goos 6-8”. 

1 hour ago, OHweather said:

I managed to complain my way to 3.7” of wrap around/LES from pre-dawn Thursday through this morning. A little over an inch new overnight last night. 

Just a slow burn of a snowfall. Snowed fairly hard yesterday evening. Picked up around 5" IMBY. 

Heavy Freezing Spray Warning from FRI 12:00 AM EST until FRI 4:00 PM EST

...HEAVY FREEZING SPRAY WARNING IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 4 PM EST FRIDAY...
* WHAT...Heavy freezing spray at a rate of 2 cm per hour or greater expected, and may rapidly accumulate on vessels.
* WHERE...The open waters of Lake Erie from Vermilion to Geneva- on-the-Lake OH.
* WHEN...From midnight tonight to 4 PM EST Friday.
* IMPACTS...Operating a vessel in heavy freezing spray is hazardous. Freezing spray may render mechanical and electronic components inoperative. Rapid ice accretion on decks and superstructures may result in a catastrophic loss of stability.
* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Ice coverage on Lake Erie will expand across the central basin.
PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...
Mariners should prepare for dangerous accumulation of ice on their vessel. If possible, remain in port, avoid the warning area or conduct mitigation.
&&
Issued by Cleveland - OH, US, National Weather Service

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2023 at 12:42 PM, dta1984 said:

What an absolute dumpster fire of a winter.  Lr doesn't look promising at all.  Just about ready to move on to Spring. 

This Winter is about as bad it gets. We've had some clunkers recently but this is a different level. CLE is -25" for the season as of today... the departure is much higher in the snowbelt. The recent mild temps and sun have me in spring mode at this point. Sure, we'll likely see some snow later this month but I've moved on. 

• Like 1

On 2/14/2023 at 10:30 AM, NEOH said:

This Winter is about as bad it gets. We've had some clunkers recently but this is a different level. CLE is -25" for the season as of today... the departure is much higher in the snowbelt. The recent mild temps and sun have me in spring mode at this point. Sure, we'll likely see some snow later this month but I've moved on. 

Spring fever today, 65 and sunny!  

2 hours ago, OHweather said:

Nice little glaze on the trees here. This feels worse than the winter of 2011-12 locally. I’ll be happy with any additional snow we get but at this point am enjoying the relatively mild temperatures that are locked in…it’s the hand we were dealt this season. 

I was surprised by the amount of ice out this way. Everything is still glazed over.  Hoping the mild weather continues at this point. Despite the ice today, it has looked and felt like Spring. 

23 minutes ago, NEOH said:

I was surprised by the amount of ice out this way. Everything is still glazed over.  Hoping the mild weather continues at this point. Despite the ice today, it has looked and felt like Spring. 

It definitely was pouring this morning, so that degree or two of colder temperature into Geauga County compared to Summit probably helped you accrete a good bit more. I figured we briefly had about 0.10" on the trees here, but there was enough liquid for more ice where it was a little colder. Unfortunately, it does look like we get some increased blocking in March...we'll see if that results in any snow or just blunts the warm pattern a bit.