• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion Part 2

Trent

It's been painful to watch this front try to come through.  It passed by a couple hours ago and then actually turned around and went back north.  Hopefully it's finally passed us for good now.  Maybe we can get lucky with the second part of the storm tomorrow.

Starting to sleet a bit here. 0z NAM, hi-res NAM and HRRR really juiced and snow longer into tomorrow night. Could be the last-second amped trend we often see. As @TheClimateChanger mentioned the result would be a huge storm. Was worried my AFD on Monday was a little too hype-y talking about pushing snow removal infrastructure past it's limits if we stayed all snow and got 12-18" in the Cleveland area, but those models would bail me out. The 18z Euro trended a bit that way too with more snow into tomorrow night so perhaps the idea has some legs. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OHweather said:

Starting to sleet a bit here. 0z NAM, hi-res NAM and HRRR really juiced and snow longer into tomorrow night. Could be the last-second amped trend we often see. As @TheClimateChanger mentioned the result would be a huge storm. Was worried my AFD on Monday was a little too hype-y talking about pushing snow removal infrastructure past it's limits if we stayed all snow and got 12-18" in the Cleveland area, but those models would bail me out. The 18z Euro trended a bit that way too with more snow into tomorrow night so perhaps the idea has some legs. 

Yeah local mets here in Cleveland keep talking about the mid-day Thursday "second wave" being WAY more than expected. It's currently over Texas, of course.

4 minutes ago, Floydbuster said:

Yeah local mets here in Cleveland keep talking about the mid-day Thursday "second wave" being WAY more than expected. It's currently over Texas, of course.

This is some lazy analysis using the HRRR, but check out the trends with the location and strength of the second wave 12z tomorrow...trending more amped. Precip shield edging a bit northwest as well. And, the high is backing off slightly in newer runs. May be a legit trend. 

hrrr_ref_frzn_us_fh12_trend.thumb.gif.1d78b5d06fe31013be1ec9e0c2c568ba.gif

Just now, OHweather said:

This is some lazy analysis using the HRRR, but check out the trends with the location and strength of the second wave 12z tomorrow...trending more amped. Precip shield edging a bit northwest as well. And, the high is backing off slightly in newer runs. May be a legit trend. 

hrrr_ref_frzn_us_fh12_trend.thumb.gif.1d78b5d06fe31013be1ec9e0c2c568ba.gif

Woah.

Picked up an inch or so last night. Look forward to seeing what today brings. Wondering if the heaviest snow now falls just southeast of here. Hopefully a more amped NW solution works out...  Models are probably struggling with the waves riding along the front.

The one wildcard is how much lake enhancement occurs. I'm guessing the ice shifted around quite a but so we should get some moisture off of the lake. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NEOH said:

Picked up an inch or so last night. Look forward to seeing what today brings. Wondering if the heaviest snow now falls just southeast of here. Hopefully a more amped NW solution works out...  Models are probably struggling with the waves riding along the front.

The one wildcard is how much lake enhancement occurs. I'm guessing the ice shifted around quite a but so we should get some moisture off of the lake. 

The flake size and intensity hasn't been efficient yet, but seems to be improving.  I just measured 2" as of 9am.

4 minutes ago, LakeEffectOH said:

Snow is moderate here.  So far, looks like there are 2-3 inches of new snow on my deck.

Steady moderate snow with occasional heavier bursts. Heavier snow should be moving in from the SW soon and last quite awhile. Eyeballing 3" or so already. The 12z models show a lot of snow to come. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LakeEffectOH said:

That hole is weird.  Wonder what the models are seeing or did they ingest something weird from a common dataset??

It is strange. No idea what would cause that. I could see something like that from down sloping but with a North/Northeast wind its all upslope in our area. 

1 minute ago, Floydbuster said:

It's snowing decent but small flakes in Stow. My girlfriend in North Royalton says it's a whiteout.

If it picks up the pace and continues until tomorrow morning, we should pick up some good accumulation. It does seem to be lacking that "storm" feeling though. 

I know what you mean.  In Chesterland is alternates between light/moderate snow with heavier bursts.  Had about 3 inches so far.