Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion Part 2

Trent

12 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

What a storm!  We traveled home yesterday from VA so got to experience the snow down there as well.  

I'll get a measurement shortly, I see there's a 19" measurement from South Russell, with most between 12-15".  Still moderate snow falling.  

Its still coming down nicely but definitely starting to lighten up on radar. I measured  just over 14" at 6am. No idea how much has come down since then but 19" probably isn't too far off. 

• Like 4

Not an impressive lake effect set-up, but it will be in the air later tonight and Thursday. With a light flow and fluffy snow, any Lake Huron band will drop some accumulations, but unless it stalls for a time (which could result in a fluffy few inches for a small area) it'll be light stuff. 

11 hours ago, OHweather said:

Not an impressive lake effect set-up, but it will be in the air later tonight and Thursday. With a light flow and fluffy snow, any Lake Huron band will drop some accumulations, but unless it stalls for a time (which could result in a fluffy few inches for a small area) it'll be light stuff. 

Getting a few decent bursts of snow off of the lake. These dry  arctic air masses are never good for LES. Been awhile since we've had a lake huron connection this far west so that will help. Looks like the lake huron band is currently coming through Ashtabula county and headed west. 

3 hours ago, NEOH said:

Getting a few decent bursts of snow off of the lake. These dry  arctic air masses are never good for LES. Been awhile since we've had a lake huron connection this far west so that will help. Looks like the lake huron band is currently coming through Ashtabula county and headed west. 

Surprised to see the WWA.   Looks like the Huron band is pivoting this way. 

1 hour ago, dta1984 said:

Surprised to see the WWA.   Looks like the Huron band is pivoting this way. 

Just noticed the WWA. The Huron band is meandering back west. Looks it might be stalling out a bit in western geauga/eastern cuyahoga. Pretty much what the RGEM was showing. That model seems to have the hot hand with LES. 

The snow band has been hanging out around the 271 corridor for awhile now. Probably a narrow corridor that gets a few inches. Noticed that CLE put out a snowfall map for 4-6" this morning. Tough to forecast with such narrow bands. Looks like we will potentially be out the game this far east. 

This fluffy lake effect again over-performed a bit today. Light flow, connection to Huron, and really good snow growth resulting in perfect dendrites all helping. Wasn't totally shocked at accumulating snow, but I think what pushed things over the edge to an advisory was the consistent flare-up in the secondary Snowbelt as the main Huron band started approaching from the east. Those bursts in southern Cuyahoga, northern Medina and Summit weren't really modeled at all but were ripping. We had gotten a couple of reports of a quick 2" and any better bursts were easily dropping visibility to a quarter to half mile, covering highways and starting to cause accidents. We were on our third or forth special weather statement of the day and it was obvious the snow would impact the evening commute and the lead felt an advisory would be more pragmatic than re-issuing SPS's every hour for the same general areas. We'll see how many 4"+ reports there are...it would be pretty localized...but definitely a squally day. The commute across 480 and 422 about an hour ago from Brooklyn Hts to Reminderville was certainly slow. 

The lake effect should gradually push west and eventually weaken overnight as the ridge moves overhead and the flow goes more northeast...shear will also increase some. Think amounts this tonight are 1 to locally 3" additional, with the bulk occurring over the next few hours with perhaps some decent bursts occurring where the Huron band goes overnight. 

• Like 1

We got about an inch of fluff out here in Reminderville this evening on top of half an inch to an inch while I was at work. Very much feels like a Cleveland winter the last couple of weeks with a big synoptic snow plus a few LES events that have been tough to forecast but have kept us on our toes. Drove out to the Independence / Seven Hills area around 7 PM and drove through the same band that was still extending from Lake Huron down the 271 corridor into the Garfield Hts / Mayfield Hts area (and actually started snowing as far east as 91 and 422 in Solon). It was absolutely dumping near the 271/480/422 interchange. May have been 2" per hour rates. 1/8th mile visibility and just pouring dendrites. Highways were in rough shape. Got a good inch or so in the Seven Hills / Independence area of fluff in the few hours I was there, looks like what was left of that band drifted into that area. 

A cold front followed by some LES and perhaps a weak clipper look on tap Saturday night through Sunday night...could be a few inches where LES occurs with a W-ish wind. Another clipper Monday or Monday night is possible (GFS still has some southern stream interaction and the timing would be more like Tuesday, but today's Canadian and Euro just have the clipper Monday evening-ish which is what I leaned towards a bit in the forecast today) followed by more cold weather and some (likely modest) lake effect with a NW flow off the icy lake through Wednesday next week. 

Don't see any significant snows out of all of this but it will be cold with flakes in the air at times over the next several days. 

9 hours ago, OHweather said:

We got about an inch of fluff out here in Reminderville this evening on top of half an inch to an inch while I was at work. Very much feels like a Cleveland winter the last couple of weeks with a big synoptic snow plus a few LES events that have been tough to forecast but have kept us on our toes. Drove out to the Independence / Seven Hills area around 7 PM and drove through the same band that was still extending from Lake Huron down the 271 corridor into the Garfield Hts / Mayfield Hts area (and actually started snowing as far east as 91 and 422 in Solon). It was absolutely dumping near the 271/480/422 interchange. May have been 2" per hour rates. 1/8th mile visibility and just pouring dendrites. Highways were in rough shape. Got a good inch or so in the Seven Hills / Independence area of fluff in the few hours I was there, looks like what was left of that band drifted into that area. 

A cold front followed by some LES and perhaps a weak clipper look on tap Saturday night through Sunday night...could be a few inches where LES occurs with a W-ish wind. Another clipper Monday or Monday night is possible (GFS still has some southern stream interaction and the timing would be more like Tuesday, but today's Canadian and Euro just have the clipper Monday evening-ish which is what I leaned towards a bit in the forecast today) followed by more cold weather and some (likely modest) lake effect with a NW flow off the icy lake through Wednesday next week. 

Don't see any significant snows out of all of this but it will be cold with flakes in the air at times over the next several days. 

This area was just east of the good stuff yesterday. It was interesting to watch the bands coming south off the lake then shift west and hug the 271 corridor. I had to drive up to Kirtland yesterday evening and it was dumping snow under the heavier returns. Definitely looks and feels like Winter out there. I'd image the lake will be mostly ice covered over the next couple of days. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Floydbuster said:

Wow. Didn't get a fraction of that much here in Stow. 

I lied apparently. The observer put snow depth in as new snow. Oops. Had already sent out the LSR for it too when they corrected the report, blegh 

There were a few other 4-6” reports down 271 in eastern Cuyahoga and also near 77 down into western Summit 

Clipper / lake enhancement are looking a bit more interesting late tonight through Sunday afternoon...the strongest lift with the clipper will probably be somewhere south of US 30, perhaps towards I-70. Could be a quick 2-4" of fluffy snow down there. I think north of US 30 we get a quick 1-2" with the clipper on Sunday. The exception is lake enhanced / effect snow. A decent west-east convergence band looks to develop late tonight into Erie County and then gradually push south into Sunday, probably getting into NE Cuyahoga, Lake, and northern Geauga before breaking up into more disorganized multi-bands through Sunday afternoon that will wind down Sunday evening. 

The lake enhanced band may be quite intense with the synoptic snow from the clipper on top of strong convergence, EL heights of 7-8k feet, a light flow and very good snow growth yet again, especially into Erie and Chautauqua Counties. Could see 2" per hour rates. The band will gradually push through, but spots may get close to or more than the 6" warning criteria quickly before it sags inland. Could see a need to expand advisories into more of the primary NE Ohio Snowbelt too, but the band will be weakening slowly and moving a bit quicker here...however, between the synoptic snow and lake enhanced band sagging in could see the route 6 corridor getting 3-5" in less than 12 hours which would warrant a headline. We shall see! 

The best of Monday's clipper may go to our north but we should all get some more snow. 

YNG hit -9 and HZY hit -11. Had a co-op in northwestern Crawford County PA that hit -15 this morning. Many backyard wx stations -10 to -15F in rural areas from Summit, Geauga and Stark Cos points east, with a few cold spots in Ashtabula Co getting to near -20F. 

• Like 1