• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion Part 2

Trent

Snow melt is under way. There's a very dense snowpack out there so its going to take some time. Didn't take long for the ice to break up on lake erie. The ice growth got off to a late start and didn't have time to thicken... not to mention we are dealing with a mid October sun angle at this point. 

COD.jpg

20 hours ago, NEOH said:

Snow melt is under way. There's a very dense snowpack out there so its going to take some time. Didn't take long for the ice to break up on lake erie. The ice growth got off to a late start and didn't have time to thicken... not to mention we are dealing with a mid October sun angle at this point. 

COD.jpg

Getting our first taste of 50 and sun today feels great.   

Even if we do come in below normal in snowfall, I feel the winter was one of the better ones we've had in several years. No banner lake effect snows, but alot of smaller ones + 2 big December system/lake enhanced snows. Not to mention no big winter thaw this year allowed for a good period of snow cover.   

On 2/24/2021 at 10:40 AM, dta1984 said:

Getting our first taste of 50 and sun today feels great.   

Even if we do come in below normal in snowfall, I feel the winter was one of the better ones we've had in several years. No banner lake effect snows, but alot of smaller ones + 2 big December system/lake enhanced snows. Not to mention no big winter thaw this year allowed for a good period of snow cover.   

Going to be a while before the Rocky River thaws and we can get back to Steelhead fishing!

26 minutes ago, HighTechEE said:

Going to be a while before the Rocky River thaws and we can get back to Steelhead fishing!

Yep. Lots of ice on the rivers but it should melt quickly over the next couple of days. We still have snow on the ground out in the Chagrin area. Its pretty crusty at this point though.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, WHEATCENT said:

go figure that during the artic outbreak in February we were one of the warmest spots in the midwest, and now we struggle to warm. temps trending down even for the weekend especially along the lake :arrowhead: 

The lake temp is still around 40 degrees at this point. The immediate lakeshore is a cruel location until May. Glad to live inland. I thought Feb was a great month... continuous snow cover without frigid temps. Hopefully the snow in the forecast tonight fails... I'm done for the season. 

7 hours ago, dta1984 said:

Wintry out there this morning.  3.25" on the deck. 

I was really hoping to be done with the snow. Intense snow bands rolling through now. Probably over 4" total... but a lot of melting throughout the day. Hopefully this is the last of it for the season. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NEOH said:

I was really hoping to be done with the snow. Intense snow bands rolling through now. Probably over 4" total... but a lot of melting throughout the day. Hopefully this is the last of it for the season. 

Right at 5" total, rather sneaky event as these late season ones tend to be.  Agreed, let's move on to spring. I've still got alot of clean up to do from the early December storm  Grass starting to green up, could be an early first mow this year. 

1 hour ago, NEOH said:

Spring is definitely well ahead of schedule -- I'd say by two weeks or so. Grass is growing and trees budding... even some small leaves starting to appear. Great Spring so far. 

Seems like we're finally getting a nice spring.  We either get cold and snowy, or warm and wet.  This spring has been mostly warm and allowed for green up well ahead of schedule.  Still have parts of the property that are decently wet, but should be cutting at least some grass within the next week I would think (pending any additional rain).

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, WHEATCENT said:

This Mornings GFS is crazy over us lol

Ya things are trending favorably (or unfavorably...) for NE Ohio.  I'd prefer to get on with spring, but if it's going to snow, let's go all in .  Possible lake enhancement showing as well.  A few inches + are looking possible...

18 hours ago, dta1984 said:

Ya things are trending favorably (or unfavorably...) for NE Ohio.  I'd prefer to get on with spring, but if it's going to snow, let's go all in .  Possible lake enhancement showing as well.  A few inches + are looking possible...

Definitely unfavorable trends. Hard pass on the snow at this point. We had enough tree/shrub damage from the early December storm. 

2 hours ago, NEOH said:

Definitely unfavorable trends. Hard pass on the snow at this point. We had enough tree/shrub damage from the early December storm. 

True, I'm still doing clean up from that storm.  Oddly enough, this is the second year we have had no snow in March and a snowy April.  5" so far this year with the 4/1 snow  (8" last year).

NWS point forecast has me at 3–5". Really impressive if we hit toward the upper end of that. But I want no part in any of this late season snow. So long as those Alaskan and Greenland ridges remain through the rest of month, there won't be any major warmups. Things look to turn warm again as we head into the first week of May as both those features give way. I feel pretty confident that this should be our last accumulating snow and most likely the last flakes of the year for most/all here in N OH.

48 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

An additional 3" fell overnight...pure fluff compared to what fell yesterday.  Just incredible that the area saw 8-10" over two days in late April.

Surprised to wake up to another 3" this morning. Definitely less on the pavement given it was fluff. Looks like mid-Winter but the August sun angle should melt most of it today (hopefully). 

1.jpg

• Like 3