Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion Part 2

Trent

1 hour ago, NEOH said:

Missed most of the storms yesterday afternoon. Only a brief downpour imby. It has been dry for weeks it seems... the ground is as dry as it has been in quite some time. Looks like a decent chance of storms over the next few days at least... then potential tropical remnants. 

Ya definitely need the rain, grass is starting to brown in some areas.  

Picked up .85" of rain yesterday afternoon/evening. That was the most rain I've had in a long time, and seemed localized to this area. Thought we might be able to get a line of storms to come south off of the lake today with the front... but it looks like all of the action will be south. Its been a long time since we've had a line of storms come across the lake which is unusual. 

37 minutes ago, NEOH said:

Picked up .85" of rain yesterday afternoon/evening. That was the most rain I've had in a long time, and seemed localized to this area. Thought we might be able to get a line of storms to come south off of the lake today with the front... but it looks like all of the action will be south. Its been a long time since we've had a line of storms come across the lake which is unusual. 

Ya much needed rain yesterday.  Hopefully get some more later in the week with tropical remnants. 

Just now, NEOH said:

Any drought concerns locally are gone. Just dumping rain out there and it looks like a lot more to come. Not a great forecast from CLE... the forecast was for the storms to stay north of the area. They just keep back building to the southwest. 

Ya I noticed this morning they adjusted the rain chances down.  Definitely an error there.  Much needed rain.  

• 2 weeks later...

I was staying at the Sandusky KOA walleye fishing over the weekend and yesterday morning was a b1tch trying to pack up and load the truck to head home, I bet 3" fell on us in the 3hr period starting at 5:30am! In contrast my yard on the SE of Dayton is burning up, only had more than a half inch in one day since the first of Aug!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HighTechEE said:

I was staying at the Sandusky KOA walleye fishing over the weekend and yesterday morning was a b1tch trying to pack up and load the truck to head home, I bet 3" fell on us in the 3hr period starting at 5:30am! In contrast my yard on the SE of Dayton is burning up, only had more than a half inch in one day since the first of Aug!

The majority of the rain fell  in a short amount of time. Hopefully you got your fishing in before the weather turned. 

17 hours ago, NEOH said:

4.28” of rain since this morning. Crazy soakers just a couple weeks apart. We  definitely good on rain for awhile. Thankfully we live uphill with all of the flooding.

Ya we drove home up 71 through the majority of it yesterday.  The real heavy rain started around Mansfield.  We definitely needed the rain, but it seems to come in large batches lately.   

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, NEOH said:

Picked up 1.16" of rain yesterday... definitely more than expected. It has been a great September weather wise... can't beat the past couple week of sunny skies and mild temps. 

We have definitely had great weather the past several weeks.  Perfect to get outdoors and enjoy before winter gets here.  Leaf changing is underway,  hoping for great colors this year.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

We have definitely had great weather the past several weeks.  Perfect to get outdoors and enjoy before winter gets here.  Leaf changing is underway,  hoping for great colors this year.  

The color is vibrant so far... a lot of deep red/purple showing up in the maples. Color has been fairly dull the past couple of seasons... this year looks to be much better. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, NEOH said:

Nice to see this on the models again... 

gfs_asnow_neus_40.jpg

Yes it is, I'm looking forward to tracking some snow. The first week or 2 of November seems to be about the norm for the first sticking snow, so just about on time.  The leaves are falling fast now, it's only a matter of time.  

I remember last year it was incredibly cold in November around the Great Lakes. Was in Chicago during the time it got down to 6 degrees in mid November, absolutely froze walking around.

How is the foliage up there? It's very odd being October 12th and still going swimming in the pool daily but that's life in Charleston

16 hours ago, nwohweather said:

I remember last year it was incredibly cold in November around the Great Lakes. Was in Chicago during the time it got down to 6 degrees in mid November, absolutely froze walking around.

How is the foliage up there? It's very odd being October 12th and still going swimming in the pool daily but that's life in Charleston

We are probably near or at peak. The rain and wind yesterday took a lot of leaves down in my yard. I'd say we are week or so ahead of schedule with the foliage. I could do without the frigid temps in November -- cools the lake too quickly. I wouldn't complain about swimming in October -- sad to see the warm temps go. 

We are probably near or at peak. The rain and wind yesterday took a lot of leaves down in my yard. I'd say we are week or so ahead of schedule with the foliage. I could do without the frigid temps in November -- cools the lake too quickly. I wouldn't complain about swimming in October -- sad to see the warm temps go. 

Absolutely! The only problem currently is the mugginess, recently has became humid once more due to Hurricane Delta
  • Sad 1

Some pretty good analogs out there for the upcoming Winter -- 

1995/1996 - 101.1" at CLE 

2003/2004 - https://www.weather.gov/cle/Climate_Snowfall_2003-04

2007/2008 - https://www.weather.gov/cle/Climate_Snowfall_2007-08

2012/2013 - https://www.weather.gov/cle/Climate_Snowfall_2012-13

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, NEOH said:

Some pretty good analogs out there for the upcoming Winter -- 

1995/1996 - 101.1" at CLE 

2003/2004 - https://www.weather.gov/cle/Climate_Snowfall_2003-04

2007/2008 - https://www.weather.gov/cle/Climate_Snowfall_2007-08

2012/2013 - https://www.weather.gov/cle/Climate_Snowfall_2012-13

Ya those don't look bad at all. May not be a year for prolonged snow cover, but hopefully will be closer to normal at least.  

Noticed 07-08, most of snowbelt was 120"+, with a peak of 176.6 in northern geauga. 

1 hour ago, NEOH said:

Soaker at CLE last night/this morning with 2.37". There was almost constant thunder from 3am - 6am -- definitely unusual for October. 

It's nice to see a wetter pattern trying to develop.  Now, just need to some cold air as we head into November. 

1 hour ago, dta1984 said:

It's nice to see a wetter pattern trying to develop.  Now, just need to some cold air as we head into November. 

Glad that we missed the heavier rains last night...  once my yard gets wet in the fall it won't dry until Spring. I'd like to hold off on the cold air until November... keep the lake as warm as possible. Temps are still a little above normal. 

eswt-00.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dta1984 said:

Looks like first chance of flakes, with the possibility of a bit more Sunday night-mon.  

Yep. Sunday night should be the first LES event of the season. It will be a welcome change... Feels like it has been in the 40's with rain for days now. CLE is in the top 10 wettest years.