• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion Part 2

Trent

Hello Ohio Friends! This is my yearly, pre-visit post to your lovely forum. I am driving up from DC Thursday afternoon and leaving Monday. I am starving for flakes, what are my odds of seeing anything at all during that period? Flurries? Anything?? Thanks in advance

11 hours ago, DanTheMan said:

Hello Ohio Friends! This is my yearly, pre-visit post to your lovely forum. I am driving up from DC Thursday afternoon and leaving Monday. I am starving for flakes, what are my odds of seeing anything at all during that period? Flurries? Anything?? Thanks in advance

The lake effect fluff we had over the weekend will be long gone by the end of the week unfortunately. Looks like a chance of snow Friday/Saturday but nothing significant. Have a good trip. 

• Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 1:43 PM, OHweather said:

This has honestly been a boring event to watch from the sidelines for the most part as it just slowly adds up...hopefully the ratios and moisture do the work tonight with WNW/NW winds favoring more widespread snow shifting inland. 

As early as Wednesday afternoon, I didn't have a good feeling about this.  Then, looked like the cold air adv. was a little slow and dry air adv. was somewhat aggressive.  I smelled a bust.  How big, I didn't know then, but I had my doubts about anything over 5-10".  The LES cells on Thurs/Fri were disorganized/"pop-cornish" and fast moving which is common with late-season LES events.  My best snowfall came on Friday Night when I picked up around 3".  My storm total was 5-6".

14 hours ago, DanTheMan said:

A clipper is progged to bring some snow to Cleveland (CLE) area starting very early Friday morning and continuing throughout the day into Friday evening.

I see Friday as having periods of rain, rain/snow mix and all wet snow later in the day.  Friday evening, wet snow could accumulate 1-2", especially north of the Ohio Turnpike.  Additional lake effect snow for the snowbelt (East Cuyahoga, Lake, Geauga and Ashtabula counties) could get anywhere from an inch in Cleveland's Eastern burbs (East Cuyahoga) to locally 3+ inches in Ashtabula county.

...Stay tuned...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LakeEffectOH said:

As early as Wednesday afternoon, I didn't have a good feeling about this.  Then, looked like the cold air adv. was a little slow and dry air adv. was somewhat aggressive.  I smelled a bust.  How big, I didn't know then, but I had my doubts about anything over 5-10".  The LES cells on Thurs/Fri were disorganized/"pop-cornish" and fast moving which is common with late-season LES events.  My best snowfall came on Friday Night when I picked up around 3".  My storm total was 5-6".

The event definitely shut down earlier than anticipated. I thought it was going to heavier Friday night. We managed to hit double digits down south of you. I thought Chesterland did well but apparently I was mistaken. Mayfield and 306 almost always has more than South Russell. 

19 hours ago, NEOH said:

The event definitely shut down earlier than anticipated. I thought it was going to heavier Friday night. We managed to hit double digits down south of you. I thought Chesterland did well but apparently I was mistaken. Mayfield and 306 almost always has more than South Russell. 

Yeah, for the most part it was a dry (relatively), disorganized event.  Higher sun angles during the daytime at this time of year often enhance the convection/subsidence process creating these dumb fleeting cells when one minute it's a whiteout and the next, the sun's out.

On 3/2/2020 at 12:13 PM, LakeEffectOH said:

Not even breaking 6” in Chesterland with a 2-2.5 day W-WNW flow event is impressively bad.  

Drove in on 80 last night and we actually have like 0.3” where I am in Macedonia...which is relatively exciting because in February I saw 1” on 2/2 and a debatable 0.1” on 2/7 and...that’s it!  Our seasonal total where I am in NW NJ is about 11”...I’m not used to their boom or bust snow climo yet for sure, and last year was mediocre as we barely squeaked out 20” (but had enough cool events that it “sufficed”) 

17 minutes ago, NEOH said:

Looks like we can probably put the shovels away for the season. What an absolute torch it has been at CLE...

December - +2.5

January - +8.2

February - +2.5

March (as of 3/10) - + 8.7

CLE's snowfall for the season is at 30.1" (-26.9" departure). 

Yep, I'm ready to move on and hoping for a nice spring for once. 

• 4 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, NEOH said:

That was a wild storm last night. Amazing lightning. The winds toppled a few large trees as well. Better than most storms we've had over the past couple of Summers. 

Ya it was one of the more intense storms we've had in a while!   

14 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

4.5" of snow on the deck this morning.  Nice surprise!

Yeah, I was a little shocked when I woke up this morning... had no idea snow was in the forecast. Where was this during Winter! Looked at the radar loop this morning and it didn't last long so the rates must have been high. 

• 3 weeks later...

It actually accumulated a bit here in NW NJ too.  Pretty rare in NE Ohio, borderline unprecedented here.  I remember the 5/15/16 snow, was probably a bit heavier from Mayfield into northern Geauga but wasn’t as widespread as last night’s.  I think we can put a wrap on this disastrous winter now. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
14 minutes ago, NEOH said:

Nice soaker at CLE today - looks like almost 3" in a short amount of time. It has been fairly dry imby this Summer but no complaints after the wet start. 

Ya looks like most of the rain missed us today.  

I'm glad the summer dried out and hasn't been too hot. Perfect for getting outdoors...which is much needed lately. 

17 hours ago, dta1984 said:

Ya looks like most of the rain missed us today.  

I'm glad the summer dried out and hasn't been too hot. Perfect for getting outdoors...which is much needed lately. 

We really have had ideal weather this Summer. Just enough rain to keep the grass green and plants watered. Wouldn't mind more thunderstorm activity though. 

• 5 weeks later...

Missed most of the storms yesterday afternoon. Only a brief downpour imby. It has been dry for weeks it seems... the ground is as dry as it has been in quite some time. Looks like a decent chance of storms over the next few days at least... then potential tropical remnants.