Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion Part 2

Trent

13 hours ago, dta1984 said:

Forgot how nice 40s and sun feels!  Tomorrow and Thurs should be really nice until some rain.   I'm ready for an early spring. 

It has been really nice. Definitely ready for Spring as well. Not much to see in the long range so hopefully we'll coast into Spring. 

On 3/8/2019 at 9:40 AM, NEOH said:

What a great decade that was. CLE's average snowfall was 77". Time for regression I guess. How much snow have you had in Chesterland this season? 

Hey! Sorry I didn’t get back to you sooner. Taking a guess, id say Chesterland has had about 55” (give or take a few inches) this year. How about Russell?

17 hours ago, HighTechEE said:

For any of you who fish for Steelhead in the Rocky River I'm coming up with my B-I-Law next weekend the 22nd-24th to try it again. I didn't catch any last November, but didn't know what I was doing then, maybe better luck this time!

Good luck with the Steelhead fishing. You might want to try the Chagrin or Grand rivers as well. 

14 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

Getting a pretty good burst of snow.  From webcams looks very elevation dependant mainly 271 east, then rain elsewhere.   Grass is about covered in Chardon.

Its dumping in Chagrin. Huge flakes. Everything is covered already... winter wonderland scenery. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
16 hours ago, dta1984 said:

Anyone else feel the earthquake today?  Very distinct, but brief shake in Chardon. https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us70003xny/executive  

Yeah. I felt it here in Chagrin. Pretty cool. It happened pretty close to the salt mines under the lake... couldn't imagine being in a mine under the lake when that happened. 

• 2 weeks later...

CLE finished June -0.2 with 8.08" of precip... good enough for the 4th wettest June. The last week of the month definitely felt like summer compared to the rest of the month. The ground had dried out in sunny areas. The shady areas are still really wet. Good potential for an MCS to roll through tomorrow night. 

1 hour ago, NEOH said:

CLE finished June -0.2 with 8.08" of precip... good enough for the 4th wettest June. The last week of the month definitely felt like summer compared to the rest of the month. The ground had dried out in sunny areas. The shady areas are still really wet. Good potential for an MCS to roll through tomorrow night. 

Ya it's been a nice switch to summer like temps.  I was quite surprised to find the back area of my yard still quite wet.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The rain/t'storm forecast was a bust last night across the area. Pretty amazing how dry it has become considering we had above average precip over the Summer. Most of the rain that has fallen the past couple of weeks has been from Ashtabula county into Western PA. The "maple tar spot" has been really bad this year with a lot of leaves already coming down. Doesn't look like its going to be a good year for Fall color at least locally. 

• 4 weeks later...

Now that October is here, I'm starting to get the itch for winter.  Some leaves are starting to fall and temps finally look to cool off later in the week.  September was way too hot.  Hopefully it's an active lake effect year.  Just took a look back at last year's paltry total of 57.5".  What a miserable winter it was. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2019 at 1:01 PM, dta1984 said:

Now that October is here, I'm starting to get the itch for winter.  Some leaves are starting to fall and temps finally look to cool off later in the week.  September was way too hot.  Hopefully it's an active lake effect year.  Just took a look back at last year's paltry total of 57.5".  What a miserable winter it was. 

Sept was extremely warm and dry (+6.3 at CLE on the tarmack). October has started the same and is currently +7.6. I flew into CLE yesterday and forgot how close to the runway the NWS sensors are -- maybe a couple of hundred feet at best. The ground has become extremely dry which is rare for this time of the year. No complaints about the warm and sunny days though. The warmth seems to have stalled the leaves to some degree. I'd say they are only 30% changed at this point which is late. Colors look to be dull as well with a lot of leaf drop already. Lets just keep the lake warm until November. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, NEOH said:

Anyone else noticing that rapid leaf drop? Amazing how much has come down over the past two weeks. Trees in my yard went from mostly green back on the 10th to mostly bare as of this morning. Here's a pic from last weekend... many of those trees are mostly bare now. 

IMG_1541 (002).jpg

It does seem they have dropped fairly rapidly the past few weeks.  I've only got a few left that still need to drop. 

Maybe first flakes late next week?