Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion Part 2

Trent

1 hour ago, HO1088 said:

CLE has hit 0 F already today.  Yawn.   

I'll await the next media apocalypse weather creation next week.

Ha. I don't know how we are going to survive this 2 day cold shot?! The media has even started to ruin weather. These arctic outbreaks don't offer any benefit whatsoever. The central basin should be solid by tomorrow. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HO1088 said:

https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?parms=local-LakeErie-02-24-1-25-1&checked=map&colorbar=undefined

The band coming off the small opening in the ice north of Pelee Island is neat. 

That's really cool. Almost like that small opening is the initiation point for the entire band. Lake Erie is shut down for the time being. I'm always amazed how resilient Ontario is to ice cover. 

8 minutes ago, NEOH said:

Only made it down to -7 IMBY last night. With the clear skies I thought temps would tank... maybe the winds kept the temps up. Looks like the snow will be a whiff to the southwest tomorrow. 

The warm-up sun - Tues will sure feel nice.  Hopefully we can reset things and get more snowy in a week or so. 

4 minutes ago, NEOH said:

The little lake is done for awhile. What an amazing amount of ice growth in a short amount of time. Counting today, CLE will have had only 12 days in January with a high temp at or below 32. 

Picture1.png

Amazing.  Even with not many cold days, CLE will end the month about 0.5 F below normal.  

Excited for the warm up this weekend?   I'll be happy to see the lower layer of compacted ice on the ground to go away.

51 minutes ago, HO1088 said:

Amazing.  Even with not many cold days, CLE will end the month about 0.5 F below normal.  

Excited for the warm up this weekend?   I'll be happy to see the lower layer of compacted ice on the ground to go away.

Yeah, its not the best layer of frozen precip on the ground for kids or dogs. Happy to see it go and start fresh. Plus, I've almost burned through most of my seasoned wood already. Let's torch the ice in yard on the lake and see what happens from here on out. 

• Like 1

CLE is +8.8 through 2/6, and that's with a -15 departure on 2/1. Amazing. Haven't we seen this movie before?! Yesterday was interesting as the central lakeshore was the only area to make it into the 50's. Western OH and NW PA stayed in the 30's all day. Would have been nice to push more of the warmth over the lake to melt some ice. 

24 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

Picked up 1.25" yesterday evening.  What a crazy week..rain tomorrow, then snow Weds, then back to rain.

Nice to see the snow again this morning. Every storm track drives the WTOD to the lakeshore. Hopefully that changes later this week. Snow, melt, rinse repeat. 

8 hours ago, NEOH said:

Woke up at 5am with a temp of 32.1/31. Glaze of ice on the driveway and a little on trees. Temp is now at 34/31 with moderate rain. How many times have we had a snowfall this winter followed by rain 24-48 hours later?

Ya and we get to do it again on Thursday!  It sure was slick this morning, didn't expect that.   Wonder how the lake effect will be tonight?  Up to 5" in the point forecast.  

15 hours ago, dta1984 said:

Ya and we get to do it again on Thursday!  It sure was slick this morning, didn't expect that.   Wonder how the lake effect will be tonight?  Up to 5" in the point forecast.  

Just a coating overnight. I didn't realize that 5" was in the point forecast. I'm not sure the winds come around off of the lake before the moisture pulls away. 

5 minutes ago, NEOH said:

Just a coating overnight. I didn't realize that 5" was in the point forecast. I'm not sure the winds come around off of the lake before the moisture pulls away. 

Ya I was surprised as well as no models were really showing anything like that.   The arws show just a few inches.  O well, rain again tomorrow anyways. 

3 hours ago, HO1088 said:

CLE had a diurnal variation of 2 degrees on Saturday.  

This is my last post on this thread.  My family is moving soon and I thank everyone who has contributed to this very nice discussion on NE Ohio weather.  

Sorry to see you go, definitely enjoyed your posts   Stop back by every now and then!  

On 2/17/2019 at 7:12 AM, HO1088 said:

CLE had a diurnal variation of 2 degrees on Saturday.  

This is my last post on this thread.  My family is moving soon and I thank everyone who has contributed to this very nice discussion on NE Ohio weather.  

Take care and good luck to you! 

Let's see if our streak of rain within 48 hours of a snowfall continues this winter... Looks like it might at this point. Once again the heaviest snow went north of us last night. Only about 1.5" IMBY. Lake effect seems to picking now surprisingly. Have a had a couple of decent bursts at home.

19 hours ago, NEOH said:

Let's see if our streak of rain within 48 hours of a snowfall continues this winter... Looks like it might at this point. Once again the heaviest snow went north of us last night. Only about 1.5" IMBY. Lake effect seems to picking now surprisingly. Have a had a couple of decent bursts at home.

We may set a record for fastest rain after accumulating snow tomorrow morning lol.  Not really sure what to expect. Nam is trending north with the snow.  Could be a few inches or nothing. 

48 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

We may set a record for fastest rain after accumulating snow tomorrow morning lol.  Not really sure what to expect. Nam is trending north with the snow.  Could be a few inches or nothing. 

Yeah... the theme of this awful winter continues. Not sure how much snow we will see... I think 2" is a safe bet. But we've been burned many times underestimating WAA. 

It got down to 3 imby this morning. I wasn't expecting temps that cold. CLE only got down to 12 last night. We are consistently 5-10 degrees colder with overnight lows than CLE.