Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion Part 2

Trent

32 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

I measured 2.5" last night once the snow stopped.  Small flake size early on didn't accumulate much.  Light snow currently.

Measured about the same here. Still snowing lightly. We've just not been able to get decent set-up when we've had a NW wind direction. Temps are more than cold enough but moisture and shear have been the issue. 

About 2" of snow remain on the ground this morning, although the boring yet persistent stratus clouds continue. 

The next 10-days look about as boring as winter can get.  Seems like really mundane weather this season, unless you like gray stratus clouds.  Heck, the deep South is forecast to have more interesting weather.

On 12/8/2018 at 3:11 PM, HO1088 said:

About 2" of snow remain on the ground this morning, although the boring yet persistent stratus clouds continue. 

The next 10-days look about as boring as winter can get.  Seems like really mundane weather this season, unless you like gray stratus clouds.  Heck, the deep South is forecast to have more interesting weather.

Temp dropped to 8 IMBY Sunday morning. Was nice to finally see some sun yesterday though. These cold overnight temps are brutal on the lake water temps. If its going to be boring I wouldn't mind some milder weather to go with it. 

On 12/10/2018 at 10:24 AM, NEOH said:

Temp dropped to 8 IMBY Sunday morning. Was nice to finally see some sun yesterday though. These cold overnight temps are brutal on the lake water temps. If its going to be boring I wouldn't mind some milder weather to go with it. 

I'm glad the end of week temps and into the weekend have trended warmer into the 40s.   Looks like next weekend is our next chance at snow.  

So much for that epic fantasy storm lol.  We'll hit on one sometime. 

11 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

I'm glad the end of week temps and into the weekend have trended warmer into the 40s.   Looks like next weekend is our next chance at snow.  

So much for that epic fantasy storm lol.  We'll hit on one sometime. 

Agreed. Looks like our snow cover stretch will come to an end today. We didn't have much but it lasted a long time. Yeah, so much for the epic storm. Hopefully we'll get our shot sometime later this Winter. 

Yesterday was interesting with the stratus clouds from the lake breeze.  The west side had a lot more mist and overcast than the east side did.  

It's been a dry period over the last week.  A welcome relief from November's wetness.  

Scott Sabol on FOX said a mild end to December with much colder weather for January.  

How many winters have no significant lake effect?  Does it ever happen?

13 hours ago, HO1088 said:

Yesterday was interesting with the stratus clouds from the lake breeze.  The west side had a lot more mist and overcast than the east side did.  

It's been a dry period over the last week.  A welcome relief from November's wetness.  

Scott Sabol on FOX said a mild end to December with much colder weather for January.  

How many winters have no significant lake effect?  Does it ever happen?

That's a good question. If any Winter could pull it off it may be this one. The early cold shot was enough to significantly cool the western basin to the 33-35 range. If the cold comes as forecast, it won't take long to form ice cover. So, by the time we have ideal set-ups for LES events the fetch would be very limited at least for Northeast ohio.

5 hours ago, dta1984 said:

Interested to see what happens tomorrow night.  Nam was very generous last night with the snow.  This morning did back off, but still a few inches in the higher elevations.  Nickel and diming...

Amazing that there's a juicy storm coming out of the south with a great track and no cold air to work with! Guessing an inch or two on the backside. 

22 hours ago, dta1984 said:

I like our range on the probability page.... 0-6" lol.   https://www.weather.gov/cle/winter

It seems we have had a few surprises with changeovers before, but more often than not they under deliver. 

Looks like band of snow on the backside of the low will set-up east of the state line - good for PA and NY... bummer for Ohio.

2 hours ago, HO1088 said:

CLE and NE Ohio have a good shot at below normal precipitation for the month of December.   The last time that happened was 11 months ago, January 2018.  There has been above normal precipitation recorded every month since then.   

No complaints here! It has been a muddy mess since the ground isn't frozen. What an awful December it has been. We'll see what January brings but the early part of the month isn't looking good. 

On 12/27/2018 at 12:14 PM, dta1984 said:

Right around 5.75" appears to be what I'll finish December with.   Ugly.  Hopefully the next few warm days will help lake temps at least. 

The snowfall departure is starting to add up... and the long range doesn't look great at all (at least on today's model runs). Should this stretch of awful weather persist into mid-January it would take a special run to just get to normal snowfall. We rely on the lake for much of our snow so when it turns cold we won't have too many shots at LES given lake temps are already in the mid 30's. 

On 1/1/2019 at 10:04 AM, NEOH said:

2018 was a wet year -- #4 for CLE. Temp spiked to 58 last night with high winds and heavy rain. Not the best way to ring in the new year. The long range continues to look bleak. Hopefully we start to see some changes soon. 

Definitely a disappointing start to the snow season.  Appears to be another quiet week, and then who knows.  The good news is we can make up ground quickly with lake effect if ice cover is minimal. 

I was looking at past seasonal snowfall and wow what a winter 2010/2011 was. A widespread 120" - 160" in Geauga county. With around 140" locally. I believe that was a weak LaNina winter. You can tell by the snowfall distribution in the snowbelt that WNW/NW winds delivered much of the LES. 

Snowcolor1011.PNG

2 hours ago, NEOH said:

I was looking at past seasonal snowfall and wow what a winter 2010/2011 was. A widespread 120" - 160" in Geauga county. With around 140" locally. I believe that was a weak LaNina winter. You can tell by the snowfall distribution in the snowbelt that WNW/NW winds delivered much of the LES. 

Snowcolor1011.PNG

Ya that was my first winter here, and was living in Mayfield.  That season started early, and then had a few big December lake effect snows.  Seems like we may have had a few big system snows as well that winter.  

Things seem to be looking a little better for us starting mid next week.  Can't wait to have something to track again. 

A little slick out this morning, had steady sleet and some freezing rain on the way to work.  Roads weren't terrible, but definitely slick.  

And finally.......a little bit of lake effect to track for mid week.  CLE mentions W then NW winds. While not a huge event, it will be nice for things to look like winter again.