• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion Part 2

Trent

Thanks so much. Going to track snow in both spots (best I can as it's about 35 mile drive from my Edinboro home) next couple / three years til we build and move there permanently. 

I'm sure for most LES events and our occasional synoptic storm I'll stay up there.

Most likely will put webcam at the cabin property as well.

1 hour ago, dta1984 said:

The storm for tomorrow night seems to be creeping northward.   Might be good for a few inches at least. 

I was kind of hoping to be done with the snow. There's a surprising amount of glacier like snow still on the ground in the shady areas. Most of my yard is still covered. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hate to say it, but I think there could be a few inches of snow in parts of the snowbelt Monday night into Tuesday morning.  Enough instability for lake enhancement, with a potent vort max dropping across the lake bringing a nice shot of synoptic moisture and lift.  Winds swing from WSW to WNW as it goes by.  Think there's a general area of snow showers that moves through giving much of north-central and NE OH a dusting, with a band of more robust LES that starts off near the shore and swings inland across all of the snowbelt and probably the Cleveland area early Tuesday that could drop a few inches on the northern Snowbelt and maybe a couple of inches on the Cleveland metro.  

Let's see how this does.  Actually a pretty good W to WSW flow setup later tonight into Tuesday morning with a deep layer of steep lapse rates, synoptic moisture and moisture from Lake Michigan, and a decent shot of synoptic lift from a shortwave moving by Tuesday morning. I think there's a pretty intense W-E band for a time tomorrow morning with 1-2" per hour rates in the northern Snowbelt.  Assuming it hits the higher terrain for any length of time, several inches should be doable with temps below freezing. 

30707303_358952044612124_629041163575230

I’m hoping ERI doesn’t get enough snow tonight to hit 200” on the season.  I do believe they’ve gotten 170-180” which is still very impressive, but given obvious measuring issues at times this winter with bad over measures I hope they don’t get the distinction of being the only large city to get a 200” winter.  

I’m hoping ERI doesn’t get enough snow tonight to hit 200” on the season.  I do believe they’ve gotten 170-180” which is still very impressive, but given obvious measuring issues at times this winter with bad over measures I hope they don’t get the distinction of being the only large city to get a 200” winter.  

Preach it brother.:D

Well the snow spotters at ERI were just quoted saying they are not measuring snow by the generally accepted guidelines of 4 measurements every 6 hours... measuring in 3 hour intervals during the day when compression is highest then at an 8 hour interval overnight when compression is less. Also they are summing 5 daily measurements instead of the accepted 4. I believe this should make the data unofficial!

d1b7fdacd79a641a8b3a92d3d016d27d.jpg
2f5cd589a56544bd4ff8a716e6edc0f9.jpg

12 hours ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Well the snow spotters at ERI were just quoted saying they are not measuring snow by the generally accepted guidelines of 4 measurements every 6 hours... measuring in 3 hour intervals during the day when compression is highest then at an 8 hour interval overnight when compression is less. Also they are summing 5 daily measurements instead of the accepted 4. I believe this should make the data unofficial!

d1b7fdacd79a641a8b3a92d3d016d27d.jpg
2f5cd589a56544bd4ff8a716e6edc0f9.jpg

Ugh. Yeah. That’s not good. 

Just tallied up my spread sheets...a total of 93.5” here this winter here.  Certainly not bad, a little above average.  Would give this winter a B here, but can see how grades range from A to D across northern OH and NW PA dependent on your exact location.  After last winter’s crap fest and spending the previous 4 in SE OH, it was nice.  

And, this will be my last winter in NE OH, for a while at least.  Will be moving to New Jersey for a meteorology job in July.  It will be a reduction in annual snow, but it is in an area that can see big snows from those Nor’Easters and is in the somewhat snowier NW corner of the state which averages an ok amount.  Plus, they have clients in the OV/GL (including Cleveland) so I’m sure I’ll check in and live vicariously at times.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, OHweather said:

Just tallied up my spread sheets...a total of 93.5” here this winter here.  Certainly not bad, a little above average.  Would give this winter a B here, but can see how grades range from A to D across northern OH and NW PA dependent on your exact location.  After last winter’s crap fest and spending the previous 4 in SE OH, it was nice.  

And, this will be my last winter in NE OH, for a while at least.  Will be moving to New Jersey for a meteorology job in July.  It will be a reduction in annual snow, but it is in an area that can see big snows from those Nor’Easters and is in the somewhat snowier NW corner of the state which averages an ok amount.  Plus, they have clients in the OV/GL (including Cleveland) so I’m sure I’ll check in and live vicariously at times.  

109" here for the winter.  A nice change compared to the past few below avg winters.  Seemed to be a pretty consistent light to mod snow year from early Dec up until the second week of Feb.  Then of course a booming march, which was the highest snowfall total month at 39.75".  My 5 year average from measuring  (estimated ) in Newbury is at 101.2".

Congrats on the job!!  Though you'll miss the lake effect,  I'm sure experiencing a few noreasters will be awesome.  It's been great to have you in our subforum to share your forecasting and knowledge.  Make sure to stop back by!  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, OHweather said:

Congrats on the job.  Sucks that another poster is moving out of the region though.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Congrats on the job.  Sucks that another poster is moving out of the region though.  

Thanks.  It is bitter sweet for sure, for a number of reasons.  I’m happy to get a job in the field, this one seems like a good fit for me, I’m not a big fan of moving away but ultimately I have more reasons to take the job than not...a lack of met jobs that you can get into right out of college around here is a big reason.  Either way, I’m sure I’ll still drop in at times as time permits me to. 

On 4/24/2018 at 12:36 AM, OHweather said:

Congrats on the new job! Sorry to hear that you will be leaving. I always look forward to your forecasts and input throughout the Winter. As DTA mentioned, we had over 100" of snow out this way so no complaints. We made a late rally which changed things dramatically. 

Good luck with the new job and take care! 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Hoosier said:

9 hours ago, NEOH said:

Congrats on the new job! Sorry to hear that you will be leaving. I always look forward to your forecasts and input throughout the Winter. As DTA mentioned, we had over 100" of snow out this way so no complaints. We made a late rally which changed things dramatically. 

Good luck with the new job and take care! 

Thanks guys! I’m sure I’ll still check in on occasion. I’ll miss the lake effect. 

• 4 weeks later...

I was at Cuyahoga County Airport today in Richmond Heights (KCGF), and I was told that an AWOS will be installed by the winter, on the east side of the airport near Bishop Rd.  24 hr observations will be available for the first time in the airport's history.  It's one of the few airports in the country where manual observations are still taken only when the control tower is open.

I also noticed a ceilometer and visibility sensor on top of a roof at the airport (odd placement for such sensors).  I don't think they are associated with the official weather that comes from CGF, not sure who owns them but found it unusual as I assume they are private?

CGF AWOS.jpg

Private AWOS.jpg

• 1 month later...