Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion Part 2

Trent

2 hours ago, NEOH said:

We'll see what happens. I'm completely out of snow mode but early and late season snows are always interesting events. I won't forget April 2005 anytime soon... That was an amazing late season event. I was living in Lyndhurst at the time and I think we had 23".

There were two impressive events in 2005...the one at the beginning of the month and then April 23-25, which was more significant for Cleveland proper...that may be the one that dropped 23" on you as I saw 20" in Solon. The early April event dropped about 8" IMBY. What a month to cap off a record setting winter that year. 

Models this afternoon thus far remain encouraging. I'm thinking the high terrain will need at least advisories and if the hi-res models are right and we squeeze out some good lake enhancement this could actually need a warning for some areas. 

Looks like the low will pull away too quick for a huge snow...but a good 3-6" in the higher terrain from Medina points NE with more in inland NW PA seems like a good bet. Would expect 2-3" by the time you get down to Akron and Ravenna and 1-2" of slush along the lake. The hi-res models have a good 0.5-1" of QPF as snow in the higher terrain tonight but think some initial melting/low ratios/shorter duration than it could be may make it hard to see over 6". If we can get prolonged 1-2" per hour rates someone would pull that off but I'm not super optimistic attm. 

Even so think CLE needs some advisories for the secondary and primary Snowbelt overnight into the morning. Some areas could see some tree/powerline issues with the gusty winds and heavier snow accumulations on the trees. 

2 hours ago, OHweather said:

Looks like the low will pull away too quick for a huge snow...but a good 3-6" in the higher terrain from Medina points NE with more in inland NW PA seems like a good bet. Would expect 2-3" by the time you get down to Akron and Ravenna and 1-2" of slush along the lake. The hi-res models have a good 0.5-1" of QPF as snow in the higher terrain tonight but think some initial melting/low ratios/shorter duration than it could be may make it hard to see over 6". If we can get prolonged 1-2" per hour rates someone would pull that off but I'm not super optimistic attm. 

Even so think CLE needs some advisories for the secondary and primary Snowbelt overnight into the morning. Some areas could see some tree/powerline issues with the gusty winds and heavier snow accumulations on the trees. 

CLE issued advisories for 3 - 7". With marginal temps and a warm ground it will be interesting to see how much it accumulates. As you mentioned, it will take heavier rates for bigger totals. The good news is that it will all disappear quickly.

26 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

Measuring off of the deck, had 4.5" as of an hour ago. Curious how central and west Cuyahoga did.   They had some good returns in that area for a while , but may have not been all snow. 

Measured the same here. Its pretty nasty out there. Power flickered a few times. The temp is holding steady at 30 IMBY. Looks like we may add another inch or two.

About 3" here. A spotter in Twinsburg reported 4" so they must've gotten more, I can't justify that much here. Too bad the lakeshore got zero...though not shocking. KERI saw 3-4" and they're almost on the lake, but they may have seen heavier precip or something up there. 

After a little more snow and a few measurements, came with a total of 3.4".  Pushes me over 60" on the season (60.4") which is about 75% of normal (figure maybe an 80" average out here)...all things considered, compared to how the west side is doing, I suppose I can't complain much. 

3 minutes ago, OHweather said:

After a little more snow and a few measurements, came with a total of 3.4".  Pushes me over 60" on the season (60.4") which is about 75% of normal (figure maybe an 80" average out here)...all things considered, compared to how the west side is doing, I suppose I can't complain much. 

After today's snow, I believe I'm over 80" on the season.  All in all it felt much worse.  I had to double check my excel formulas this morning,  because it doesn't feel like that much snow fell.  The lengthy and frequent snow less warm spells that this winter has had are what will be remembered. 

Just now, dta1984 said:

After today's snow, I believe I'm over 80" on the season.  All in all it felt much worse.  I had to double check my excel formulas this morning,  because it doesn't feel like that much snow fell.  The lengthy and frequent snow less warm spells that this winter has had are what will be remembered. 

For your area especially, with the exception of the 20-30" that you missed out on in early December all of the events performed pretty well.  When you get 10 or 15" at a time it does add up.  But the two or three week snowless spells really took the wind out of this winter's sails, and areas that didn't get LES did really badly.  I feel like most of the LES events that made it down here performed pretty well too. 

• 3 weeks later...

This is starting to get borderline ridiculous, but this April is on track to be the warmest on record for Cleveland. I've lost count of how many top 5 warmest months have happened recently. 

The 12 month temperature anomaly for Cleveland is insane. When is the rubber band going to snap back to cold?

7 minutes ago, Trent said:

This is starting to get borderline ridiculous, but this April is on track to be the warmest on record for Cleveland. I've lost count of how many top 5 warmest months have happened recently. 

The 12 month temperature anomaly for Cleveland is insane. When is the rubber band going to snap back to cold?

I suspect some of this is still a hangover from all the heat put into the atmosphere during the super El Niño, but I think it's pretty apparent that our "normal" is going up. It's been quite a stretch of warmth. Eventually we will get a string of normal or cooler than normal months and it'll feel unusual given how long this warmth has lasted. Early hints are that the heat backs off in early May for at least a time...while the rest of this week runs of April's average up some more. 

April 2017 ended up being the warmest on record in Cleveland.

February, April, August, and December have all had their warmest month established in the past year and a half in Cleveland. 

September and November had second warmest months established. 

So half the months have had either their warmest or second warmest month established in the past year and a half in Cleveland. 

I know technically this is a southern Ohio thing, but is there any particular reason it is drier than a popcorn fart in Lancaster thus the 90 degree reading at 1pm?

OHZ036-037-039>041-045>050-054>059-063>069-073>076-082>088-161800-
  CENTRAL AND SOUTHEAST OHIO

CITY           SKY/WX    TMP DP  RH WIND       PRES   REMARKS
COLUMBUS       FAIR      82  60  47 SW8       29.99F
OSU AIRPORT    FAIR      82  60  47 SW14      29.99F
BOLTON FIELD   MOSUNNY   82  63  51 SW14      30.00F
RICKENBACK AFB FAIR      83  60  46 SW12G17   29.99F
NEWARK         FAIR      81  59  47 W12       30.00F
MARION         FAIR      82  58  43 SW17G24   29.98F
LANCASTER  FAIR      90  32  12 SW9       30.01F
ZANESVILLE     FAIR      81  59  47 S9        30.02F
NEW PHILLY     FAIR      79  55  43 S10       30.02F