• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion Part 2

Trent

From the PNS last night, CLE had an inch and Euclid was the biggest loser at 0.5". With no snow in the forecast until the potential storm next week, CLE's 365 day snowfall tally will be at 22.8" and this season's at 21.6 inches.

There's plenty of room for CLE to get a decent storm next month and still be the least snowiest season at the airport.

Yeah, more snow that I expected. It really ripped late afternoon so we made up a lot of ground quickly. I measured various amounts... all between 3-6". There was probably half that amount on the pavement.

Ya, as I was out last night I noticed there sure didn't look to be 5" on the ground. My driveway had bare spots, then spots of 4" which was probably mostly wind blown. The surface of the deck was definitely the coolest.

Well, the euro throws us a bone with an early March paste storm next week. Hopefully we can put this winter to bed after that. Gonna soak up the sun and 50's today.

No model consensus for a storm a few days away - sounds like March. Verbatim the Euro is a foot+ for all of NE Ohio up through Buffalo. I will gladly take this storm and move on from winter weather.

No model consensus for a storm a few days away - sounds like March. Verbatim the Euro is a foot+ for all of NE Ohio up through Buffalo. I will gladly take this storm and move on from winter weather.

My thoughts exactly! One last storm and let's move on. If only there was some consensus on this track lol.

Looks like some general agreement for 3-6", though placement is a little different between models.

The Euro has had some decent hits for us the past few runs. That would have led me to be more optimistic in prior seasons.

I think a 3-6" hit looks reasonable right now, but still lots of room for this to bust either way.

Euro now has an inch or two for NE Ohio with the upcoming storm.

CLE sits at 21.6" of snow on the season. Last year only 1.4" fell at CLE after March 1st. That means CLE's running 365 day snowfall total is just 23".

A sub 25" winter is certainly still in play. We are at the point in the season where frequent nickel and dime events are pretty much over. If CLE cracks 30" this year it'll be from a "big storm" or two. I can't envision six more 1-2" events happening now through April without a locked in cold pattern to hit 30".

Euro now has an inch or two for NE Ohio with the upcoming storm.

CLE sits at 21.6" of snow on the season. Last year only 1.4" fell at CLE after March 1st. That means CLE's running 365 day snowfall total is just 23".

A sub 25" winter is certainly still in play. We are at the point in the season where frequent nickel and dime events are pretty much over. If CLE cracks 30" this year it'll be from a "big storm" or two. I can't envision six more 1-2" events happening now through April without a locked in cold pattern to hit 30".

Enjoy the cold rain and wrap around inch or two. Yeesh... the synoptic drought continues for northeast ohio. Just have to laugh at this point.

What a model fail. Hard to believe the Euro had a couple 12" hits here at such close range.

Forecast high today is 42, wouldn't be surprised if spots make it into the 60s instead.

That what surprised me. Sun is poking through and temps are climbing. Looks like nothing more than a frontal passage.

There's a half decent lake enhanced setup late tonight into early Wednesday. Maybe someone in the higher terrain can squeak out 2-3". What a winter...

Is Athens beating CLE for snow this winter? I wouldn't be surprised if it's close.

Last fall I figured this winter would be less snowy than normal, just didn't think we'd be looking at one of the least snowiest winters in 100 years.

I'd say the odds of CLE finishing with a sub 30" winter are pretty high at this point. A sub 25" winter is probably 50/50 now.

Is Athens beating CLE for snow this winter? I wouldn't be surprised if it's close.

Last fall I figured this winter would be less snowy than normal, just didn't think we'd be looking at one of the least snowiest winters in 100 years.

I'd say the odds of CLE finishing with a sub 30" winter are pretty high at this point. A sub 25" winter is probably 50/50 now.

The tally for what I've seen in Athens is 22-23", and they haven't had any other substantial snow when I've not been there, so that's roughly where their seasonal total stands. That's actually a bit above normal!

The tally for what I've seen in Athens is 22-23", and they haven't had any other substantial snow when I've not been there, so that's roughly where their seasonal total stands. That's actually a bit above normal!

You're doing a lot better than up here in Erie County.  I think we're at around 13" on the season.  Today pretty much summed up the whole season.  Not even a dusting when a couple days ago there were good models suggesting a 3-6" storm.  I wasn't expecting that but I thought we could at least whiten the ground.

Not sure what to think about the Thursday system.  Part of me would like to see it snow but another part of me would like to see just how bad this winter can get.  I think I'd be good with something 4" or more, but if it's going to be 1-3" (like the forecast reads) I would just as soon see it whiff and get on to spring.

You're doing a lot better than up here in Erie County. I think we're at around 13" on the season. Today pretty much summed up the whole season. Not even a dusting when a couple days ago there were good models suggesting a 3-6" storm. I wasn't expecting that but I thought we could at least whiten the ground.

Not sure what to think about the Thursday system. Part of me would like to see it snow but another part of me would like to see just how bad this winter can get. I think I'd be good with something 4" or more, but if it's going to be 1-3" (like the forecast reads) I would just as soon see it whiff and get on to spring.

A lot of the near west side's snowfall has been from a few small lake effect events. It's not surprising that Erie County is that low considering they probably missed a few of those.

Just a trace here overnight. Not all that unexpected given this winter.

At this point I'm hoping the upcoming event is a miss. Might as well see how awful this winter can get. No one is going to be happy with a couple inches of fluff snow in March.

Have been getting some decent snow showers at times through the morning and have about an inch down.

As someone who likes snow, I always chuckle at other people who like snow saying they "don't want" a snow event at the beginning of March because it's too small...especially in a winter where Cleveland and the west side have been extremely snow starved. I understand 1-3" of fluff isn't the most exciting, but snow is snow and personally, I enjoy any amount of it. If you're really ready for Spring to start, it's coming in less than a week and a small snow tomorrow isn't going to do anything to slow it down. It just gives snow lovers one last bit to cling to is how I look at it.

If we were going for an all time futility record I could see rooting for a miss. Although this winter should be bottom 5 or maybe even bottom 3 in the snowfall department, least snowy isn't possible anymore.

Have been getting some decent snow showers at times through the morning and have about an inch down.

As someone who likes snow, I always chuckle at other people who like snow saying they "don't want" a snow event at the beginning of March because it's too small...especially in a winter where Cleveland and the west side have been extremely snow starved. I understand 1-3" of fluff isn't the most exciting, but snow is snow and personally, I enjoy any amount of it. If you're really ready for Spring to start, it's coming in less than a week and a small snow tomorrow isn't going to do anything to slow it down. It just gives snow lovers one last bit to cling to is how I look at it.

If we were going for an all time futility record I could see rooting for a miss. Although this winter should be bottom 5 or maybe even bottom 3 in the snowfall department, least snowy isn't possible anymore.

I'll go on the record to say that futility will never happen again in Cleveland unless official records are moved to Burke Lakefront Airport. If you look at all the least snowy years they are all taken downtown lakeside. It's hard to say what CLE would have recorded during some of those years to compare to this year, but suffice it to say for records kept at CLE airport, this winter is by far their least snowiest in 75 years. Of course 6+ weeks remain where a storm could pop up and change all that, although the 365 day rolling year total still stands at about 23".

I'm ready for spring, but I would enjoy a late season storm. I think it would be a funny end to this winter if an 8" storm popped up in April. I'd also gladly take an April 2007 repeat.

With all the synoptic fails here the past few years, when that widespread 8"+ event does hit, people won't know what hit them.

2.5" on my deck. Driveway was covered this morning, but once the snow slowed down, the march sun angle did its thing.

Sitting at 62" for the season. After this weekend, I'll be ready to shift into spring mode and forget this winter.

I wasn't optimistic that we would hit 60" out this way but we did. Pure fluff today. Next week looks great on the models... full Spring mode. The next snow threat appears to be passing well south of the area. Not surprsising the way this winter has gone.

Fair point. We've been nickled (and missed) all winter long with synoptic snows. Maybe its just me but I  can't get enthusiastic about 1-2" of fluff that melts as soon as the sun pops out. Bad analogy... but its kind of like opening a beer and it evaporates before you have a chance to drink it.

2.5" at CLE. Not bad for this winter. It snowed for almost 16 hours straight too. Too bad we can't seem to get heavy rates and long duration at the same time.

This was another storm where the pavement stayed wet throughout the event. I think there may have been only 3 times this winter I actually had to move snow from the driveway.

2.5" at CLE. Not bad for this winter. It snowed for almost 16 hours straight too. Too bad we can't seem to get heavy rates and long duration at the same time.

This was another storm where the pavement stayed wet throughout the event. I think there may have been only 3 times this winter I actually had to move snow from the driveway.

I came up with 1.75". Ya the one bright spot of late season snow is unless it's a big storm, the sun usually takes care of the driveway.

CLE was able to creep up to 25" for the season after this weekend.

That's still 43.1" below the total seasonal average or 36.7% of normal. Biggest synoptic storm of the season was 3.3" and the best lake effect band was 3.8".

Still lots of time for more accumulating snow, but with the forecast for the week ahead the odds of making a significant dent in the deficit are pretty low.