• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion Part 2

Trent

You guys are going to get absolutely pummeled over the next several hours. Single band forming from northern Lorain across Cuyahoga into Geuaga and Ashtabula...winds don't move much, convergence increases and there's a steady feed of upstream moisture from lower Lake MI feeding that band. There's also a trough with an accompanying burst of snow north of Detroit that will push south across the lake and contribute to very heavy snow over the next few hours. Instability...moisture depth...inversion heights...snow ratios and more organized bands will maximize rates. Still think some 3-4" per hour rates may occur for a time and I also think my widespread 4-8" for tonight in the Snowbelt including inland Cuyahoga with locally 10" will easily work out. With some minor to locally moderate addition accums Thursday I'm now fairly sure all areas will get into my forecast ranges and some will bust high...including more widespread foot amounts in eastern Cuyahoga than my map had.

You guys are going to get absolutely pummeled over the next several hours. Single band forming from northern Lorain across Cuyahoga into Geuaga and Ashtabula...winds don't move much, convergence increases and there's a steady feed of upstream moisture from lower Lake MI feeding that band. There's also a trough with an accompanying burst of snow north of Detroit that will push south across the lake and contribute to very heavy snow over the next few hours. Instability...moisture depth...inversion heights...snow ratios and more organized bands will maximize rates. Still think some 3-4" per hour rates may occur for a time and I also think my widespread 4-8" for tonight in the Snowbelt including inland Cuyahoga with locally 10" will easily work out. With some minor to locally moderate addition accums Thursday I'm now fairly sure all areas will get into my forecast ranges and some will bust high...including more widespread foot amounts in eastern Cuyahoga than my map had.

Sweet! Radar is looking much better. Snowing moderate to heavy off and on. I'd imagine Cuyahoga gets upgraded to a warning soon.

Wow. It was dumping snow when that band briefly moved through here. I was outside for about 5 minutes to take out the trash bins and it snowed almost a half inch. Crazy rates!

Fingers crossed for the rest of the evening! :snowman:

I honestly have no clue what more CLE wants before issuing a warning for Cuyahoga. Not only will the eastern part of the county easily exceed warning criteria (if they haven't already) but some of western Cuyahoga will probably push it too. There's a band probably producing 3"+ per hour rates right now bisecting the county and no signs of it moving in the immediate future. I'll say this as nicely as I can but they have no idea what to do with Cuyahoga County. They have completely butchered it three events in a row now.

I honestly have no clue what more CLE wants before issuing a warning for Cuyahoga. Not only will the eastern part of the county easily exceed warning criteria (if they haven't already) but some of western Cuyahoga will probably push it too. There's a band probably producing 3"+ per hour rates right now bisecting the county and no signs of it moving in the immediate future. I'll say this as nicely as I can but they have no idea what to do with Cuyahoga County. They have completely butchered it three events in a row now.

Yeah  we have over 7'' in Ohio City Neighborhood on the West Side of CLE.  I noticed when I moved here last two months ago that the NWS is not very good at updating and informing people of what to expect. OHWeather I trust your forecast more than the NWS of Cleveland hahaha 

7" in Ohio City is really good, more than I would've thought thus far.

I'm not sure if the band will focus enough for any one spot to actually get 4" or more in an hour but instantaneous rates that high are definitely occurring. The band keeps back building over western Lake Erie. Pound town for sure

Absolutely incredible rates! There's already several more inches on my driveway that was clean a few hours ago.

You don't see that often. The snow was just pouring down. Haven't measured yet but easily 12+ on the deck The band has slipped just south of us but radar looks good. If that band locks in there will be some huge totals tonight.

It really isn't the sun angle yet. By March the suns angle starts to play a big role. One of the Tugs biggest event ever was Feb 3rd-12th 2007. 143" in 10 days.

This reminds of the early season event we had in November 1996... The snow always became more cellular during the day only to organize again at night. Chardon picked up 70 inches... But the snow never seemed to come down heavy until evening. Great event so far so no complaints.

Too bad you aren't up here for this one. The snowfall rates under the heavier returns are amazing.

I'm not aloud to complain after an out of the blue winter storm warning here yesterday :lol:

CLE sent out a new WSW at 9:10PM and kept Cuyahoga in an advisory for 2-5". That's pretty much the hourly rate in the band...

This reminds of the early season event we had in November 1996... The snow always became more cellular during the day only to organize again at night. Chardon picked up 70 inches... But the snow never seemed to come down heavy until evening. Great event so far so no complaints.

Band looks to be getting stronger as well.

codnexlab.NEXRAD.CLE.N0Q.20160211.241.02

Looks like 6.25" additional since 6pm yesterday. The majority of that fell between 6-10pm.

Running total is at 18" since Monday. Depth on my deck is at 15".

Also should specify I'm including 3" that fell before the lake effect in my totals.

Came up with around the same total last night. The snow must have shut off after 11pm or so. By far the best LES event we've had in quite sometime... and a spread the wealth one at that. Would have liked to see the band lock in place for an extended period of time.

Finally got some snow here as well from L. Huron. Last night I was a bit pissed last night when you Ohio guys were getting it and we were shut out, but Huron finally delivered and it's still snowing now. Probably 8+"

Awesome congrats! There was a pretty large area that got 8"+.

Do any of you have an idea on how much eastern Cuyahoga County got? The only spotter report is 11.5" thus far in Solon. I'm going to try to map the snow totals at some point when I get the time and that hole there is really annoying.

And LPR is down to 1/4 mile visibility in that Lorain County band...not bad! A few areas may get 3 or 4" more today if the bands don't move too quickly.

Do any of you have an idea on how much eastern Cuyahoga County got? The only spotter report is 11.5" thus far in Solon. I'm going to try to map the snow totals at some point when I get the time and that hole there is really annoying.

And LPR is down to 1/4 mile visibility in that Lorain County band...not bad! A few areas may get 3 or 4" more today if the bands don't move too quickly.

Wasn't there a report from shaker yesterday?

Based on the radar last night, I'd imagine the 271 area from 422 to near 322 were similar.

Yep, looks like it's snowing good again!

Wasn't there a report from shaker yesterday?

Based on the radar last night, I'd imagine the 271 area from 422 to near 322 were similar.

Yep, looks like it's snowing good again!

There was 7" in Shaker as of like 5PM yesterday. Hopefully they have another 24 hour total reported this evening, which would help. I have the radar loops saved from early yesterday on which will help but I always give the ground truth reports most weight if they're there.