• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion Part 2

Trent

November was ugly(by winter standards) and December looks just as ugly. Plugging in the forecast temps over the weekend would make this the 4th warmest November on record at CLE.

Lake Erie is still torching, so if we can get the right set up when/if an arctic blast arrives, the snow belts could cash in. Last winter we had some great set ups, but mostly frozen lakes. Funny how that always works.

I wouldn't feel so bad about a much below average snowfall season if there was a nice widespread 12" storm thrown in. It's been quite a few years since Northeast Ohio was a jackpot in a synoptic storm.

It was certainly a warm November. I'm getting to the point where if it isn't going to snow... I'll take the comfortable temps. The western basin has started to cool but still plenty of warmth basin wide. Hopefully we'll see a pattern change around the Holidays (I'm writing off the first 3 weeks). As you mentioned, it would nice to get an ideal LES set-up with 100% open water.

Interesting looking scenario Wednesday evening up there...and even here I think I could see a legitimate snow shower Wednesday night...

The upper low is progged to move right over Lake Erie Wednesday night, with good moisture and marginally cold enough temperatures for accumulating snow (especially inland from the lake). The NAM was slightly more interesting than the GFS as it had a very sharp low-mid level trough/wind shift dropping south off of Lake Erie Wednesday night, which would provide for decent synoptic lift (along with decent vorticity advection with the upper low moving overhead) to go along with some instability off the lake, and probably result in a period of moderate to briefly heavy precipitation downwind of the lake. The GFS has the trough/wind shift dropping in a little farther northeast, so although there'd still probably be a period of enhanced precip, it would be more focused on extreme NE Ohio and NW PA (as opposed to the NAM which would drop the heavier precip right into Cleveland east into Geauga/Portage Counties and maybe even down towards YNG). Although the lake to 850 and lake to 700mb temp differentials aren't extreme, both models have good moisture up to about 15k feet as the trough tries dropping south Wednesday night with lake to 500mb temp differentials pushing 40C+...which would likely combine with the synoptic lift from the trough to produce moderate to heavy precip. 850mb temps are progged to be in the neighborhood of -5 to -7C, with 925mb temps of around -1 to -2C, which is marginal...however, if the setup works out, I'd have to think that the precip would dynamically cool things enough to force the precip over to all snow with accumulations not too far inland. FWIW, the Euro is closer to the NAM and brings the heavier precip right through Cleveland.

Although the window looks brief...with the potential for very good lift from the trough combined with a deep layer of moisture and instability...I could see some fairly quick accumulations playing out and lightning wouldn't shock me. My first guess is 1-3" inland from the lake and maybe sloppy dustings near the lake wherever the trough drops in...be it near Cleveland or farther NE towards Ashtabula or NW PA...but this could be something sneaky to watch and locally more snow wouldn't shock me. I want to see the NAM and Euro hold for another run or two before getting too excited about this possibly occurring in the Cleveland metro.

Although I’m not sure how much snow ultimately falls due to marginal temperatures, we’ve had a slow start to the LES season in NE Ohio, so I’m going to do a write up on this event.

nam-500-27.gif?w=640&h=480

Aloft, a closed off upper level trough will move right over Ohio Wednesday night, with strong height falls, a good shot of PVA and deep moisture. The upper trough will also bring colder mid-level temperatures and a surge of colder air at the surface behind a secondary cold front that will move through early Wednesday evening, which will allow some lake induced instability to develop Wednesday night in combination with synoptic lift and deep moisture.

nam-sfc-theta-27.gif?w=640&h=480

As the upper trough moves overhead Wednesday evening, the models are in good agreement on an inverted trough in the low-mid levels developing across Lake Erie into extreme NE Ohio and into northern PA. The models have come into agreement on perhaps initially lifting this trough across the Cleveland metro early Wednesday evening, before lifting it northeast a tad over the primary Snowbelt and then swinging it southeast early Thursday morning as the upper low begins pulling away and winds turn more NNWrly. The area where this inverted trough “pivots” (somewhere over far NE Ohio or perhaps NW PA) will likely see the most prolonged period of moderate to heavy precip, and will likely see a good amount of QPF…the question will be how much of this falls as snow.

There appears to be good potential for heavy precipitation where this inverted trough sets up Wednesday evening due not only to lake enhancement but also due to good synoptic moisture and non-lake effect related sources of lift.

nam-700.png?w=685&h=257

The low resolution NAM shows the convergence with the trough over Lake Erie and far NE OH/NW PA extending up above 700mb, with good vertical velocities showing up as a result. On its own, convergence this strong would likely be enough to get half decent precip to develop. In addition, positive vorticity advection in the mid-levels with the upper trough is also a source of lift.

nam-700-rh.gif?w=640&h=480

In addition to a good amount of lift from the trough moving over Lake Erie/far NE Ohio, the upper trough will provide for very deep ambient moisture…to around 500mb…so moisture will not be a limiting factor to this event.

bufkit-1.png?w=640&h=448

Although lake to 850mb and lake to 700mb temperature differentials won’t be extreme…13-15C for the lake to 850mb differential and 23-25C for the lake to 700mb differential…the upper trough moving directly overhead will bring inversion heights way up, to near 15k feet. So although lake induced instability isn’t “extreme,” there’s lake induced CAPE and deep moisture to 12-15k feet or slightly higher from Wednesday evening through early Thursday. 500mb temperatures are progged to get to around -32C Wednesday night, which gives lake to 500mb temperature differentials of 40-42C off of the central and eastern basin. This is around the threshold for thunder, so although there won’t be a lot of lake induced CAPE, the deep layer of moisture/instability and strong lift from the trough through a fairly deep layer of the atmosphere may be enough for some lightning strikes over and near the lake at times, mainly during the first half of Wednesday night.

At this point I’m fairly convinced that moderate to heavy precip will develop Wednesday evening and persist for several hours Wednesday night…possibly over the Cleveland metro early on before shifting into the primary Snowbelt for a good chunk of time, before swinging southeast and then weakening early Thursday. The main questions now become if temperatures will cool quickly enough to support accumulating snow, and if this happens, where will the heaviest precipitation and possible accumulations be?

wetbulb-27.png?w=640&h=240

One factor that may be important will be wet bulb temps…especially south of the band…as WSW winds into the band could advect in this cooler/drier air and allow wet bulb cooling to occur under the band along with dynamic cooling from lift within the band and perhaps precipitation drag of cooler air down to the lower levels. The NAM at 10PM Wednesday has wet bulb temperatures near 40F under the band and above 35F across much of northern OH…while the GFS on the right is several degrees cooler. The difference appears to be due to the NAM showing dew points in the mid 30s persisting inland until much later Wednesday night, while the GFS cools dew points to near or below 30F inland from the band after midnight. Dew points to our west are in the upper 20s/lower 30s, so I am inclined to believe the lower dew points inland, which would support wet bulb temperatures being a bit cooler. The wet bulb temps appear to cool enough for a change to snow to start occurring after 10PM.

nmm-2m-temps.png?w=640&h=240

The NMM has temperatures under the band (this model has it across Lorain and Cuyahoga Counties initially) cooling to 33-36F by 10PM, with that cooling continuing as the band swings northeast over the next few hours into the primary Snowbelt after midnight. Given the potential for good dynamical cooling under the band and wet bulb cooling from cooler/drier air inland trying to get drawn into the band, a scenario like this seems quite possible…although the model does never get temperatures below freezing under the band.

nam-925.png

The NAM shows 925mb temperatures starting to fall below freezing by 10PM Wednesday…and getting below freezing in much of the NE OH Snowbelt by 1AM Thursday…by 4AM Thursday it also gets 925mb temps below freezing in NW PA.

Based on when wet bulb temperatures inland get below freezing and when 925mb temps are progged to fall below freezing, my guess is that locations inland from the lake, especially in the higher terrain in Geauga County and NW PA, will start changing to snow by 10PM Wednesday and become mostly snow by around midnight. The precipitation should start as rain possibly mixed with graupel initially, as low level temps will definitely be too warm for snow initially.

hi-res-qpf.png?w=640&h=240

The hi-res models are in decent agreement on 0.50-0.75”+ of QPF where the band stalls for a few hours late tomorrow evening into the wee hours of Thursday morning. The Euro and low-res NAM also even have over half an inch of QPF, and the GFS has 0.25-0.50” of it.

At this point, for placement of the lake enhanced band, the NAM, Euro, GFS and ARW (along with most of BUF’s WRFs) develop it initially over the Cleveland metro before quickly moving it northeast into Lake, northern Geauga, Ashtabula and parts of Erie/Crawford Counties, while the NMM and hi-res Canadian are a bit farther south. The band placement will be mainly driven by where the synoptic inverted trough develops and less by lake effect processes, however with WSW winds south of the band and a warm lake possibly trying to focus the surface trough a little farther northeast, I’m going to lean towards the north camp. The models do swing the band SE early Thursday morning, which could bring a period of decent precip in much farther west, but it would be brief. Lake effect conditions remain OK into Thursday morning, but the synoptic support will be over, and winds will turn onshore which will push warmer air over the lake farther inland, so I doubt there are any real accums in the NNW flow lake effect Thursday morning once the trough moves southeast.

Accumulations with the trough are ultimately tough…we’ll definitely have a good amount of QPF to play with, and given there are mesoscale processes driving the precipitation including lake enhancement, I have to think the hi-res models with the higher QPF are more on the mark. The question, how much falls as snow and how well does it accumulate? I don’t expect any accumulations before 10PM…but should see the precip change to mainly snow (especially inland) between 10PM and midnight, with accumulations likely starting in the higher terrain by midnight. This gives a few hours and a quarter inch or so of QPF of potential accumulating snow in the primary Snowbelt before the trough swings southeast and takes the band with it. This could give 2-3” in the higher terrain in northern Geauga County and southern Erie/northern Crawford Counties. If the changeover occurs any quicker, or the models are a little too quick in shifting the trough southeast, someone could get a little more. I could see 1-2” in the rest of the primary Snowbelt excluding the lakeshore, with little to none along the lakeshore, as surface temps should stay in the 35-40 range. Maybe a heavier burst deposits a dusting along the shore, but I struggle to see any more playing out. There could be a brief burst of snow farther west later at night, but with marginal surface temps and a short duration of decent snows, although some grassy/car top type dusting are possible, I don’t expect more than an inch outside of the primary Snowbelt right now.

Here's my fairly low confidence map:

12-2-no-neo.png?w=640&h=369

As always, great write up. It will be interesting how this plays out.

Also of note. It's interesting how the CLE snowfall totals were adjusted yesterday. The snowfall on November 21st was upped from .3" to .5" and the snow on November 22nd was upped from .2" to .3". Interestingly enough in early November the trace of snow that fell on October 17th was upped to .1".

I really wonder if snowfall is actually measured at CLE? Why would these adjustments come weeks after the snow fell? The snowfall totals at CLE were awful the past 3 or 4 years, perhaps they are doing a QA on measurements now. I guess we'll now have to wait a couple weeks after a snow storm to see what the "official" CLE total ends up being.

I'll have to look again when I get off work but I'm liking the odds of someone in eastern Cuyahoga or Geauga getting something like 4". Models came in a bit cooler, temps and dew points are on schedule and the hi-res models seem to be liking that area for heavy snow early Thursday AM.

Edit: I did bump up my map this afternoon before work. I don't see any reason to not ride with this at this point. Radar lighting up over lake, temps inland into the mid 30s, rain/snow falling already away from the lake where it's precipitating.

G1PXN6.png

I'll have to look again when I get off work but I'm liking the odds of someone in eastern Cuyahoga or Geauga getting something like 4". Models came in a bit cooler, temps and dew points are on schedule and the hi-res models seem to be liking that area for heavy snow early Thursday AM.

Just got back home and temp was 38. Looking forward to a little snow, but keeping expectations low.

Had maybe a tenth or two of slop overnight. It stuck only to elevated surfaces. Temps look to be in the upper 30s along coastal Lake County so it was probably just rain there looking at the precipitation estimates. I'll be curious if any inland locations were able to pick up over an inch.

Definitely looks like you had to be higher up for this one. I see some light accums on the traffic cams in SW Lake and a little down 271 but less than an inch. Heaviest precip fell where it was too warm to accumulate well. We'll see what totals CLE gets soon...I wonder if that 3" Chardon report will make it into their PNS.

By "light accumulations" I mean "a few patches of fading white on grassy surfaces"

Definitely looks like you had to be higher up for this one. I see some light accums on the traffic cams in SW Lake and a little down 271 but less than an inch. Heaviest precip fell where it was too warm to accumulate well. We'll see what totals CLE gets soon...I wonder if that 3" Chardon report will make it into their PNS.

By "light accumulations" I mean "a few patches of fading white on grassy surfaces"

Ya I'm curious about the 3" chardon report as well.

Though I should clarify, the 1" I measured was on the deck. The grass was definitely less.

Ohweather.....what webcam do you use for chardon? The one I used to use on wunderground doesn't appear to be active anymore.

A few areas got 1-3", mainly inland in the primary Snowbelt...although there is a 2" report from Lorain County too. In general my first map worked very well, would've liked to actually see a 4" report to be happier with my upward bump. I'm hopeful that at some point within the next 40 days we'll be tracking something bigger than these 1-4" snow events.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
SPOTTER REPORTS
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CLEVELAND OH
1101 AM EST THU DEC 03 2015

THE FOLLOWING ARE UNOFFICIAL OBSERVATIONS TAKEN DURING THE PAST 25
HOURS FOR THE STORM THAT HAS BEEN AFFECTING OUR REGION. APPRECIATION
IS EXTENDED TO HIGHWAY DEPARTMENTS...COOPERATIVE OBSERVERS...SKYWARN
SPOTTERS AND MEDIA FOR THESE REPORTS. THIS SUMMARY IS ALSO AVAILABLE
ON OUR HOME PAGE AT WEATHER.GOV/CLEVELAND

**********************12 HOUR SNOWFALL**********************

LOCATION 12 HOUR TIME/DATE COMMENTS
SNOWFALL OF
/INCHES/ MEASUREMENT

OHIO

...ASHLAND COUNTY...
ASHLAND 0.2 1032 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER

...ASHTABULA COUNTY...
JEFFERSON 2.0 1027 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER
GENEVA 0.7 1053 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER
1 E ORWELL 0.5 1056 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER

...CRAWFORD COUNTY...
GALION T 1052 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER

...CUYAHOGA COUNTY...
BROADVIEW HTS 0.5 1025 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER
CLEVELAND HOPKINS AI 0.3 1058 AM 12/03 ASOS

...ERIE COUNTY...
HURON T 1029 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER

...GEAUGA COUNTY...
MONTVILLE 3.2 934 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER
CHARDON 2N 3.0 1019 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER
CHARDON 2.5 1021 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER
SOUTH MADSION 2.0 1022 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER

...HURON COUNTY...
NEW LONDON 3NW 0.6 1031 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER

...LAKE COUNTY...
4 SW KIRTLAND 1.4 1023 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER
MENTOR 0.7 1019 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER
PAINESVILLE 0.5 1055 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER

...LORAIN COUNTY...
KIPTON 0.5 1021 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER
ELYRIA 0.1 1022 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER

...LUCAS COUNTY...
TOLEDO EXPRESS AIRPO T 1059 AM 12/03 ASOS

...MEDINA COUNTY...
BRUNSWICK 0.7 1030 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER
LODI 0.5 1053 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER
WADSWORTH 0.5 932 AM 12/03 TRAINED SPOTTER

...PORTAGE COUNTY...
DIAMOND T 935 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER

...RICHLAND COUNTY...
MANSFIELD LAHM AIRPO T 1058 AM 12/03 ASOS

...SUMMIT COUNTY...
AKRON CANTON AIRPORT 0.2 1057 AM 12/03 ASOS

...TRUMBULL COUNTY...
YOUNGSTOWN WARREN AI 0.6 1059 AM 12/03 ASOS
NEWTON FALLS 0.3 1054 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER
WARREN 0.2 1055 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER

...WAYNE COUNTY...
DOYLESTOWN 0.5 1032 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER

...WOOD COUNTY...
PERRYSBURG T 1028 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER

PENNSYLVANIA

...CRAWFORD COUNTY...
MEADVILLE 5W 2.0 1033 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER
CANADOHTA LAKE 1.3 1018 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER
MEADVILLE 1.2 1030 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER

...ERIE COUNTY...
NORTHEAST 6SW 4.0 1031 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER
COLT STATION 3.5 1020 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER
CORRY 2.0 1027 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER
AMITY TWP 1.3 1020 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER
MILLCREEK TWP 1.2 933 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER
GIRARD 0.5 1028 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER
ERIE AIRPORT 0.4 1058 AM 12/03 ASOS

**********************24 HOUR SNOWFALL**********************

LOCATION 24 HOUR TIME/DATE COMMENTS
SNOWFALL OF
/INCHES/ MEASUREMENT

OHIO

...ASHLAND COUNTY...
1 NNE SULLIVAN 0.9 700 AM 12/03 COCORAHS
1 WNW ASHLAND 0.2 600 AM 12/03 COCORAHS

...CUYAHOGA COUNTY...
2 NNW PARMA 0.2 800 AM 12/03 COCORAHS

...ERIE COUNTY...
5 NNE WAKEMAN 1.3 700 AM 12/03 COCORAHS
N BERLIN HEIGHTS 1.0 700 AM 12/03 COCORAHS
2 NNE CASTALIA 0.5 700 AM 12/03 COCORAHS

...GEAUGA COUNTY...
1 SSE MONTVILLE 3.2 430 AM 12/03 COCORAHS
1 NE MIDDLEFIELD 0.5 800 AM 12/03 COCORAHS

...LAKE COUNTY...
3 SW WILLOUGHBY 0.4 700 AM 12/03 COCORAHS

...LORAIN COUNTY...
6 SW WELLINGTON 2.0 800 AM 12/03 COCORAHS
SE ELYRIA 0.1 707 AM 12/03 COCORAHS

...MEDINA COUNTY...
5 WNW WADSWORTH 1.0 602 AM 12/03 COCORAHS
1 NE BRUNSWICK 0.7 700 AM 12/03 COCORAHS
8 ENE MEDINA 0.4 700 AM 12/03 COCORAHS

...OTTAWA COUNTY...
3 W PORT CLINTON 0.1 900 AM 12/03 COCORAHS

...PORTAGE COUNTY...
1 NNW MANTUA 0.5 700 AM 12/03 COCORAHS
N HIRAM 0.4 700 AM 12/03 COCORAHS
2 SSW STREETSBORO 0.3 700 AM 12/03 COCORAHS
4 NE KENT 0.2 800 AM 12/03 COCORAHS

...TRUMBULL COUNTY...
YOUNGSTOWN-WARREN RE 1.0 651 AM 12/03 ASOS

PENNSYLVANIA

...CRAWFORD COUNTY...
1 NE CONNEAUT LAKE 1.5 700 AM 12/03 COCORAHS
3 WNW SPRINGBORO 0.6 615 AM 12/03 COCORAHS

...ERIE COUNTY...
6 SW ERIE 0.7 600 AM 12/03 COCORAHS
1 WNW NORTH EAST 0.5 800 AM 12/03 COCORAHS

***********************SNOW ON GROUND***********************

LOCATION SNOW TIME/DATE COMMENTS
ON GROUND OF
/INCHES/ MEASUREMENT

OHIO

...ASHLAND COUNTY...
ASHLAND 0.5 1032 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER
1 NNE SULLIVAN 0.5 700 AM 12/03 COCORAHS

...ASHTABULA COUNTY...
JEFFERSON 2.0 1027 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER
GENEVA 0.7 1053 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER
1 E ORWELL 0.5 1056 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER

...CUYAHOGA COUNTY...
BROADVIEW HTS 0.5 1025 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER
2 NNW PARMA T 800 AM 12/03 COCORAHS

...ERIE COUNTY...
5 NNE WAKEMAN 1.3 700 AM 12/03 COCORAHS
N BERLIN HEIGHTS 0.5 700 AM 12/03 COCORAHS
HURON T 1029 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER

...GEAUGA COUNTY...
1 SSE MONTVILLE 3.0 430 AM 12/03 COCORAHS
MONTVILLE 3.0 934 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER
SOUTH MADSION 2.0 1022 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER
CHARDON 2N 1.0 1019 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER
1 NE MIDDLEFIELD 0.5 800 AM 12/03 COCORAHS

...HURON COUNTY...
NEW LONDON 3NW 1.0 1031 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER

...LAKE COUNTY...
MENTOR 1.0 1019 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER
4 SW KIRTLAND 1.0 1023 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER
PAINESVILLE T 1055 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER

...LORAIN COUNTY...
KIPTON T 1021 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER

...MEDINA COUNTY...
5 WNW WADSWORTH 1.0 602 AM 12/03 COCORAHS
WADSWORTH 0.5 932 AM 12/03 TRAINED SPOTTER
8 ENE MEDINA 0.4 700 AM 12/03 COCORAHS
BRUNSWICK T 1030 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER
1 NE BRUNSWICK T 700 AM 12/03 COCORAHS

...PORTAGE COUNTY...
1 NNW MANTUA 0.5 700 AM 12/03 COCORAHS
N HIRAM 0.4 700 AM 12/03 COCORAHS
1 E RAVENNA T 750 AM 12/03 COCORAHS
2 SSW STREETSBORO T 700 AM 12/03 COCORAHS

...RICHLAND COUNTY...
1 NW LEXINGTON T 800 AM 12/03 COCORAHS

...SANDUSKY COUNTY...
2 ENE FREMONT T 500 AM 12/03 COCORAHS

...TRUMBULL COUNTY...
YOUNGSTOWN WARREN AI 1.0 1059 AM 12/03 ASOS
NEWTON FALLS T 1054 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER

...WAYNE COUNTY...
DOYLESTOWN 0.5 1032 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER

...WOOD COUNTY...
2 WSW PERRYSBURG T 500 AM 12/03 COCORAHS

PENNSYLVANIA

...CRAWFORD COUNTY...
MEADVILLE 5W 2.0 1033 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER
1 NE CONNEAUT LAKE 1.5 700 AM 12/03 COCORAHS
CANADOHTA LAKE 1.0 1018 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER
MEADVILLE 1.0 1030 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER
3 WNW SPRINGBORO 0.6 615 AM 12/03 COCORAHS

...ERIE COUNTY...
NORTHEAST 6SW 4.0 1031 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER
COLT STATION 3.0 1020 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER
CORRY 2.0 1027 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER
MILLCREEK TWP 1.0 933 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER
AMITY TWP 1.0 1020 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER
6 SW ERIE 0.7 600 AM 12/03 COCORAHS
1 WNW NORTH EAST 0.5 800 AM 12/03 COCORAHS
GIRARD 0.5 1028 AM 12/03 SNOW SPOTTER
ERIE AIRPORT T 1058 AM 12/03 ASOS

$

Lake Erie really torching compared to the past 5 years and the pattern the next week shouldn't allow for much of a drop off in temperatures compared to past years. 

If CLE can make it to December 17th without an inch falling, it would be the longest stretch between 1 inch snowfalls at the airport. The last inch at the airport was on March 1st. If CLE makes it to next Tuesday, it will be the second longest stretch between 1 inch snows, so that is a lock.

post-599-0-79055800-1449188012_thumb.gif

Have to laugh a little at that Public Information Statement from CLE, calling this a "storm".

Over here on the lakeshore in Erie County this one did better than I expected.  My wife (who gets up earlier than I do) said when she got up everything was white.  By the time I got up (about 9:00) it was down to just the car tops and roofs - very little on the grass.  Still I measured about .6 of slop on my car.  Probably could have been an inch before it started melting.

Zkz1vK.jpg

This is CLE's new location for measuring snow this winter. Here's some more info from the person who took the picture:

"Well here is where the weather observers will be taking snowfall measurements. Photo was taken indoors and there is a large wall just left of the picture. This is facing south."

He said last year they measured near the west end of an "open field". So we'll see if this makes a difference. Definitely have to think snow blowing off the building with a northerly wind would be a concern.

This weekend looks very warm. Record highs and warm lows will be threatened. Sunday's record warm low of 47 could be obliterated...the 0z Euro has a low of 58 for Sunday...wow.

Zkz1vK.jpg

This is CLE's new location for measuring snow this winter. Here's some more info from the person who took the picture:

"Well here is where the weather observers will be taking snowfall measurements. Photo was taken indoors and there is a large wall just left of the picture. This is facing south."

He said last year they measured near the west end of an "open field". So we'll see if this makes a difference. Definitely have to think snow blowing off the building with a northerly wind would be a concern.

This weekend looks very warm. Record highs and warm lows will be threatened. Sunday's record warm low of 47 could be obliterated...the 0z Euro has a low of 58 for Sunday...wow.

So the new spot must be near the new air traffic control tower that opened this year. Hopefully the measurements improve. There's no doubt that a good 10" or so likely weren't measured the past few years.

The airport is now at the second longest stretch between 1 inch snowfalls. It's been 283 days since an inch of snow fell. For anyone who is in snow removal and is paid by the job, must be tough with those plows accumulating more dust on them than snow outside.

It will be interesting to see how warm the lows end up being. Unfortunately there are only 24 hour low stats. A warm overnight low is often erased by a 11:59pm low later that day. With 7 hours of darkness after sunset before midnight, every day has two chances to establish a low temperature this time of year.

Thanks for posting. Maybe this new location will help. They can just eyeball from the building instead of walking to an open field :). Looking forward to the warm weekend. If there is no snow on the horizon I'd rather not bleed anymore warmth from the lake. Looks like the western basin cooled a bit as it was in the fog for a few days.

So the new spot must be near the new air traffic control tower that opened this year. Hopefully the measurements improve. There's no doubt that a good 10" or so likely weren't measured the past few years.

The airport is now at the second longest stretch between 1 inch snowfalls. It's been 283 days since an inch of snow fell. For anyone who is in snow removal and is paid by the job, must be tough with those plows accumulating more dust on them than snow outside.

It will be interesting to see how warm the lows end up being. Unfortunately there are only 24 hour low stats. A warm overnight low is often erased by a 11:59pm low later that day. With 7 hours of darkness after sunset before midnight, every day has two chances to establish a low temperature this time of year.

We'll see on the lows. It looks like Saturday's record warm min is also 47. It is a long time between sunset and midnight for sure this time of year, but with clouds, high dew points and southerly breezes I can't see much of a fall off Saturday or Sunday evenings. Saturday's record could probably be broken pretty easily if the warm air gets here quickly enough Friday evening and we're above 47 midnight Friday night. The one caveat for Sunday would be the cold front moving through before midnight, but the models have trended slower with the front recently it looks like.

Thanks for posting. Maybe this new location will help. They can just eyeball from the building instead of walking to an open field :). Looking forward to the warm weekend. If there is no snow on the horizon I'd rather not bleed anymore warmth from the lake. Looks like the western basin cooled a bit as it was in the fog for a few days.

Ha, I believe the NWS office is actually a good distance from the new air traffic control tower...and I believe the NWS office may be moving to downtown at some point within the foreseeable future (although maybe not this year). I'd definitely be worried measuring snow so close to a building, but the alternative is having it all blow away I guess.

Looks like today is the anniversary of the surprise rush hour lake effect gridlock squall downtown. That early December was probably the best stretch of lake effect I've seen since I've lived up here. Several feet of snow piled up that week.

http://www.newsnet5.com/weather/weather-news/heavy-snow-5-years-ago-leaves-downtown-cleveland-in-gridlock

Looks like today is the anniversary of the surprise rush hour lake effect gridlock squall downtown. That early December was probably the best stretch of lake effect I've seen since I've lived up here. Several feet of snow piled up that week.

That might have been my favorite snow storm of all time. It's hard to believe in this day and age that much snow can fall without more than flurries being in the forecast.

When people went to work downtown that morning there was no snow in the forecast. People went about their day as normal. Just before lunch the band developed and stayed put through early evening. By about 3pm, 6" had fallen in a few hours and everyone decided to leave work at the same time to get home. It was absolute insanity because at that point the snow was really coming down at about 2" per hour between 3:30-5:30pm. People started running out of gas and that exacerbated the gridlock. And then no plows could get through so you had cars getting stuck which furthered the gridlock. By 7pm it was about over, but by then downtown had about 10-12" of snow and the damage was done. It certainly made me realize how useful advance warnings for snow are. Had this same event happened but with 2 days lead time, there probably wouldn't have been these types of issues as many people would have worked from home or planned accordingly. 

If you had asked anyone at 10am that morning and told them that nearly a foot of snow would fall by the time they left work and it would take them up to 3 hours just to leave downtown, they would have laughed at you. 

Here is a picture I took of the gridlock on East 9th and Lakeside Avenue:

post-599-0-72601200-1449710592_thumb.jpg

This was my car:

post-599-0-86292200-1449710644_thumb.jpg