• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion Part 2

Trent

How much does Cle need to reach average?

CLE needs 1.9" to hit the seasonal average. It's definitely possible tomorrow night. These late season storms can easily turn all rain or surprise with an earlier switch over.

Sadly CLE is well over 70" for the season, but because several events were never recorded this winter (or adjusted weeks after the fact to 10:1 ratio) the "official" total is much lower. But it would be nice to get a few inches tomorrow night so that CLE can officially hit average for the season.

This is the same storm that models have been hinting at for a good 10 days now. There have even been some fantasy runs last week showing a 2' blizzard. The consistency of showing some snow from Cleveland northeast to Upstate and Western New York has been noteworthy.

CLE needs 1.9" to hit the seasonal average. It's definitely possible tomorrow night. These late season storms can easily turn all rain or surprise with an earlier switch over.

Sadly CLE is well over 70" for the season, but because several events were never recorded this winter (or adjusted weeks after the fact to 10:1 ratio) the "official" total is much lower. But it would be nice to get a few inches tomorrow night so that CLE can officially hit average for the season.

This is the same storm that models have been hinting at for a good 10 days now. There have even been some fantasy runs last week showing a 2' blizzard. The consistency of showing some snow from Cleveland northeast to Upstate and Western New York has been noteworthy.

After such a snowy stretch this winter, it would be nice if they could "officially " finish avg or above. It's ridiculous that the recording is so screwed up. Hopefully tomorrow night has some surprises. I wouldn't mind one last snow, as it looks to melt quick anyways. The dry cold/cool stretch is getting old. The warmth today is awesome however!

Yep, that is the sad part. I'm rooting against the snow... I've turned the page on Winter. Gimme a week of 60 and sun please.

Had a light dusting of snow overnight that has since melted. That should do it for the snow season. It was definitely a short intense winter. You basically had 1 week of winter in mid November and then another 5 week window from late January to the end of February.  All of December, the first half of January, and March were a dud.

This past March was one of the worst March's in memory. If it's going to be 4.5 degrees below normal, it might as well have some snow storms. It looks like March 1st will end up being CLE's last inch of snow for the season, which is incredibly early.

Had a light dusting of snow overnight that has since melted. That should do it for the snow season. It was definitely a short intense winter. You basically had 1 week of winter in mid November and then another 5 week window from late January to the end of February.  All of December, the first half of January, and March were a dud.

This past March was one of the worst March's in memory. If it's going to be 4.5 degrees below normal, it might as well have some snow storms. It looks like March 1st will end up being CLE's last inch of snow for the season, which is incredibly early.

I'm actually thankful for an early end to winter this year. The cold in Jan and Feb was just brutal, the roads were awful, snow just kept piling up, heating bills were absurdly high.

I yearn for a good old snowy NE Ohio winter with plenty of lake effect snow, plenty of warm shots in between, and, especially, snow on Xmas Day itself. I've been in CLE for over 10 years and the only truly snowy Xmas day I can recall was Dec 2004. We've had dribs and drabs since but nothing earth shattering.

Bring on BBQing season.

And just when you thought spring was firmly in place, the 6z GFS pops a snowstorm with some accumulating snow at day 11 over NE Ohio.

Ughhh that's ugly. Its been so nice lately. A few trees have starter to bud, and grass is growing. Was just thinking about when the first mow would be. Maybe another week or two if it stays dry.

And just when you thought spring was firmly in place, the 6z GFS pops a snowstorm with some accumulating snow at day 11 over NE Ohio.

I would say I hope the snow holds off till that Thursday so I'm home when it hits but at a certain point I have to give up the hope of coming home to a snowstorm...it'll only be my summer break by that point :lol:

Ughhh that's ugly. Its been so nice lately. A few trees have starter to bud, and grass is growing. Was just thinking about when the first mow would be. Maybe another week or two if it stays dry.

The grass is growing nicely, and suprisingly there are lots of buds on the trees. I'll be mowing this weekend. Hopefully the long range changes... at least April snow melts quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

Very sharp cut off to the rain overnight. It's been an exceptionally dry spring compared to the incredible wet spell we've had the last 3-4 years.

It seems like we've had just enough rain to keep things from really drying out, however I feel like the thunderstorms over the next few days will make or break us. Locations not impacted by the lake breeze stand to have a good shot at 85+ degree weather Friday-Sunday and possibly Monday too depending on the timing of any storms each day. Although there is a "chance" of storms Friday-Monday, the chances Friday-Sunday aren't particularly high at any one spot as there isn't really any forcing, so storms will be isolated to at best widely scattered each day. A few winners, a lot of losers. We'll see how Monday plays out...the current frontal timing of late Monday night isn't the best for a lot of storms, and the forcing with the front will probably be weakening as the upper low responsible for all of this opens up and moves NE. I think it's possible more than half the area is shut out of good rain out of this whole deal, which would probably get us to the point where we'd be included in the "abnormally dry" category on the national drought monitor.

It has been great to be located south of the lake breeze boundary. Yesterday made it 74, and low 80's today. It definitely has been dry compared to previous Springs. Picked up a decent amount of rain the other night. The ground is still moist out this way.

Record breaking heat wave across northern Ohio today. Should see more records through the weekend. This has got to be the hottest May ever. I mean these temperatures are fairly common around Memorial Day, but the first full week of May? A little too warm IMO.

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURES ACROSS NORTHERN OHIO...

AT 316 PM EDT (216 PM EST) THIS AFTERNOON, THE TEMPERATURE AT
AKRON-CANTON REGIONAL AIRPORT REACHED 87 DEGREES. THIS TIES THE OLD
RECORD HIGH OF 87 DEGREES LAST SET ON MAY 7 1936.

AT 333 PM EDT (233 PM EST) THIS AFTERNOON, THE TEMPERATURE AT
MANSFIELD LAHM MUNICIPAL AIRPORT REACHED 86 DEGREES. THIS TIES THE
OLD RECORD HIGH OF 86 DEGREES PREVIOUSLY SET ON MAY 7 1926.

AT 459 PM EDT (359 PM EST) THIS AFTERNOON, THE TEMPERATURE AT THE
YOUNGSTOWN-WARREN MUNICIPAL AIRPORT REACHED 85 DEGREES. THIS TIES
THE OLD RECORD HIGH OF 85 DEGREES PREVIOUSLY SET ON MAY 7 2000.

Wow. Way too early for this kind of heat. This coming off record cold, feels exceptionally hot.

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURES ACROSS NORTHERN OHIO...

AT 448 PM EDT (348 PM EST) THIS AFTERNOON, THE TEMPERATURE AT
AKRON-CANTON REGIONAL AIRPORT REACHED 88 DEGREES. THIS BREAKS THE
OLD RECORD HIGH OF 86 DEGREES LAST SET ON MAY 8 1936.

AT 312 PM EDT (212 PM EST) THIS AFTERNOON, THE TEMPERATURE AT
CLEVELAND HOPKINS INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT REACHED 89 DEGREES. THIS
BREAKS THE OLD RECORD HIGH OF 88 DEGREES LAST SET ON MAY 8 1889.

AT 405 PM EDT (305 PM EST) THIS AFTERNOON, THE TEMPERATURE AT
MANSFIELD LAHM MUNICIPAL AIRPORT REACHED 87 DEGREES. THIS BREAKS THE
OLD RECORD HIGH OF 86 DEGREES PREVIOUSLY SET ON MAY 8 1936.

AT 418 PM EDT (318 PM EST) THIS AFTERNOON, THE TEMPERATURE AT TOLEDO
EXPRESS AIRPORT REACHED 88 DEGREES. THIS TIES THE OLD RECORD HIGH OF
88 DEGREES LAST SET ON MAY 8 1979.

AT 411 PM EDT (311 PM EST) THIS AFTERNOON, THE TEMPERATURE AT THE
YOUNGSTOWN-WARREN REGIONAL AIRPORT REACHED 89 DEGREES. THIS BREAKS
THE OLD RECORD HIGH OF 88 DEGREES PREVIOUSLY SET ON MAY 8 1936.

Only 0.89" of liquid equivalent the past 30 days at CLE (some of that was actually snow). The daily max in that time frame has only been 0.14", so it's been a lot of light rain events where the ground doesn't get saturated. Considering the driest April on record is 0.65" and second driest is 0.99", this is an impressive dry stretch for the area. 

With the dry ground, it's not surprising most areas were able to torch to around 90 yesterday.

Wow hadn't realized just how warm this may has been. I've also noticed it seems drier than the past few springs. Today feels much more like spring.

Forgot to do a winter wrap up.... I recorded (purely amateur) 109.5" of snow. A total of 36 snow "accumulating days" and average daily recording of 3". First accumulating snowfall was Nov 14, and last was April 23. Peak depth was 19" ( though there was probably a period with a few more inches).

This winter had alot more substantial events than last year. Last year I had 51 recorded events averaging 2.4". Even though last winter had more snow overall, this year was better overall with the snowcover length. Just imagine if December had just average snowfall ...

The northern strip of counties from Cleveland to Toledo were added to the "abnormally dry" category in this week's drought monitor. The airport just lucked out on Monday getting grazed by that thunderstorm, while areas just a mile to the west had no more than a few tenths. 

Wow hadn't realized just how warm this may has been. I've also noticed it seems drier than the past few springs. Today feels much more like spring.

Forgot to do a winter wrap up.... I recorded (purely amateur) 109.5" of snow. A total of 36 snow "accumulating days" and average daily recording of 3". First accumulating snowfall was Nov 14, and last was April 23. Peak depth was 19" ( though there was probably a period with a few more inches).

This winter had alot more substantial events than last year. Last year I had 51 recorded events averaging 2.4". Even though last winter had more snow overall, this year was better overall with the snowcover length. Just imagine if December had just average snowfall ...

Our snowfall totals just about match. Last Winter took its toll on the landscaping... lots of dead bushes and shrubs. Boxwoods that weren't covered with snow are toast. Great news for the nurseries and landscapers.