• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion Part 2

Trent

Some of the LSR's don't jive with eachother or with what I saw myself when I left or have heard from other people who should be able to provide a reasonable estimate. I can say no way to the 3.8" in Twinsburg since I had about that much a couple miles east when I left at 2:30 and they didn't get any rain, just snow most of the day.

Also: 3.0" in Old Brooklyn when CLE a few miles west had 4.4" just through 1PM? I've heard "at least 6 inches" from a few people in the Youngstown area, but Austintown only had 4.0". Shaker Heights had 4", but our western Geauga County posters have 7"+, and Mentor has 7.2". Clinton only has 2.5" but a weather fanatic who plows snow in Green a few miles east said "at least 4 inches". The 6.5" spotter report from west Akron pretty much voids the 3.8" in Twinsburg and the 2.5" in Clinton considering they were mostly snow in southern Summit until about an hour ago. 3.5" in Hiram also seems low but there's nothing else nearby to compare it with.

Call me a weenie for thinking several reports are so low, and maybe I'm wrong, but with a wet snow and no wind I wouldn't expect these discrepancies. Given the CLE METARs, what was falling at home when I left and what you guys have said, especially since some of you have been or are snow spotters, I think the low reports are suspect.

Up to 8.5" of cement like snow. This will freeze up solid tomorrow.

Sure areas to our north and west are getting slammed with temps in the teens and high ratios, but you just have to enjoy what you get. Looks like the euro wins again and the NAM and GFS were too warm. Double digits is easily reachable now.

Even if we do mix, should be minimal and the accumulations we've received so far are still impressive. I'm sure CLE will come in with a low ball total, but that's par for the course.

Temps IMBY have actually been dropping off now, hopefully that means the low is farther south than expected, but a quick surge into the mid 30s wouldn't be a shock considering how typical that is.

Some of the LSR's don't jive with eachother or with what I saw myself when I left or have heard from other people who should be able to provide a reasonable estimate. I can say no way to the 3.8" in Twinsburg though I had about that much a couple miles east when I left at 2:30 and they didn't get any rain, just snow most of the day.

The format CLE uses with the report twice a day between 7 and 9 pm causes funky reports. I wish during events like this they'd just send out continual updates to storm totals. Many of the reports would be just new snow since 9am. Many areas already had 2" by then.

...Just peeked at the CLE radar and I can honestly say that is one of the best looking radars I've ever seen during a storm here. :snowing:

No doubt... radar looks great. Temp just jumped to 31. Not sure how much more we will climb. Looks like a mostly snow event... perhaps a brief mix but not much.

As Trent mentioned, this is some of the heaviest snow we've had in quite some time. It just seems so much more substantial than fluff.

Huge flakes and heavy snow right now. Good tiimes...

The format CLE uses with the report twice a day between 7 and 9 pm causes funky reports. I wish during events like this they'd just send out continual updates to storm totals. Many of the reports would be just new snow since 9am. Many areas already had 2" by then.

That's true. We shall see if they clean things up in the PNS later or send out storm total numbers tomorrow. Would be nice!

8.5" is not a bad storm! This has got to be rivaling your biggest storm since early 2011 I'd think? I'd have to imagine double digits will be easy for Cleveland proper at this point.

No doubt... radar looks great. Temp just jumped to 31. Not sure how much more we will climb. Looks like a mostly snow event... perhaps a brief mix but not much.

As Trent mentioned, this is some of the heaviest snow we've had in quite some time. It just seems so much more substantial than fluff.

Huge flakes and heavy snow right now. Good tiimes...

Yes it is...Good times!  Earlier on the radar, there were yellows &  a few oranges to our west which indicated sleet mixing in.  I wondered if that would be moving NE into the CLE area, but now it is a bright green to our west indicative of more snow.  to come.  Also the NWS upped tonight's accumulation from 3-5 to 3-7.

That's true. We shall see if they clean things up in the PNS later or send out storm total numbers tomorrow. Would be nice!

8.5" is not a bad storm! This has got to be rivaling your biggest storm since early 2011 I'd think? I'd have to imagine double digits will be easy for Cleveland proper at this point.

I'm wondering when the winds back around to the North & NE, as the arctic air moves in whether or not we will have a period of lake enhanced snows that will drop an additional few inches along with a lot of blowing.  I have a feeling the morning commute will be pretty messy.

Yes it is...Good times!  Earlier on the radar, there were yellows &  a few oranges to our west which indicated sleet mixing in.  I wondered if that would be moving NE into the CLE area, but now it is a bright green to our west indicative of more snow.  to come.  Also the NWS upped tonight's accumulation from 3-5 to 3-7.

31/31 IMBY just a little south of you. Hopefully we can hold on to all snow. I noticed the heavier returns to the west/southwest. Each time they move over flake size increases along with intensity. Keep waiting for the mix to move in but not so. Winds are out of the east... have to wonder if that is keeping the cold air locked in place.

Just measure over 19" on my deck. The surprise LES the other day made a nice base.

This will be my largest storm since February 2011. I can't remember the date, but there were a couple decent storms that month and early March.

This is also a very easy storm to measure. There's been minimal wind. I can see variations from those not clearing snow boards as compaction has surely dropped some totals by an inch or so. I cleared my board this morning and then again tonight. I'm wondering if we see some lake enhanced flare up before dawn as the winds shift?

Last night's 0z Euro for the win? Here was the map:

Maybe just a little, tiny bit too far south with the cut-off. Euro was consistent with its 12/0z runs yesterday, but all the short term modelling made me want to reduce totals this morning.

You should have stayed home... but glad to hear you made it back to athens. Yep, euro seems like it is slow to catch on to trends, but doesn't vary too much once it does. Consistency seems to be the key.

This will be my largest storm since February 2011. I can't remember the date, but there were a couple decent storms that month and early March.

This is also a very easy storm to measure. There's been minimal wind. I can see variations from those not clearing snow boards as compaction has surely dropped some totals by an inch or so. I cleared my board this morning and then again tonight. I'm wondering if we see some lake enhanced flare up before dawn as the winds shift?

I bet we do. Winds out of the NNE seem to always produce the "green blob". And your area seems to jackpot from it as it transitions east out this way.

My call of 10-12" was a complete BS guess. Might actually work out though, or perhaps a little low.

31/31 IMBY just a little south of you. Hopefully we can hold on to all snow. I noticed the heavier returns to the west/southwest. Each time they move over flake size increases along with intensity. Keep waiting for the mix to move in but not so. Winds are out of the east... have to wonder if that is keeping the cold air locked in place.

Just measure over 19" on my deck. The surprise LES the other day made a nice base.

Big heaps of wet snow on my deck...have to measure it.  I wonder how much snow we will be getting from the clippers this week?  12z Euro forecasted snow depths in the CLE are approaching and even exceeding 30" by this time next week.  Maps are most likely overdone but they really stoke the :weenie: in me!

I've dropped down to 29 and it looks like the last of the precip on radar is probably a few hours off. Should avoid mixing here. Unless there's some back building of the snow or a lake flare up, this might be over by midnight.

I'd have to imagine you'll get another 1-3" as the "deform" swings through with some lake enhancment. Hundreds of schools already closed for tomorrow.

Cool!  I think one thing that has helped us tonite is that there is no rapidly bombing Coastal, yet, to suck all of the energy away from the primary resulting in the widespread greens on radar rapidly disintegrating into feeble scattered blue streaks.

I've dropped down to 29 and it looks like the last of the precip on radar is probably a few hours off. Should avoid mixing here. Unless there's some back building of the snow or a lake flare up, this might be over by midnight.

Temp still 31 here. Shoudn't be too long before it starts to drop. There will be a lull but I'm pretty sure it will pick back up again as the snow comes in from the NW, along with lake enhancement developing.

I'd imagine the shifting winds on the lake have pushed the ice around enough to open up.

You should have stayed home... but glad to hear you made it back to athens. Yep, euro seems like it is slow to catch on to trends, but doesn't vary too much once it does. Consistency seems to be the key.

I have assignments to turn in tomorrow, or else I would've. I sleep like crap here and it doesn't snow lol.

Euro isn't perfect, but it might have done slightly better than the NAM/GFS in the last two days with this storm.

We must have had some rain here overnight. There's an odd pock marked appearance to the snow.Temp spiked to 32.4 around midnight.

Ya, there's definitely a layer of ice now. I only measured 1" of new snow overnight. Would have thought there would have been more, but probably had a mix for a while. Total is up to 11.5".

I'm curios what the official total will be at CLE. I have low confidence in any accuracy of measurement. The snowfall overnight and enhanced lake effect this morning was super high ratio, so theoretically CLE should have had a few more inches since midnight.

Interestingly CLE reported 0.72" on the METAR adding up each hourly observation. The snowfall was 7.2". I'm fairly certain they just took whatever the METAR reported and applied a straight 10:1 ratio. We all know in winter storms that those hourly totals are wrong. Doubtful they'll do a core sample for the real precip or actually post a real measurement.

There was a 1/2 of crust in the snow when I did the driveway this morning. Looked at the radar and it definitely mixed from midnight to 2am. My total is right around 11". I would have expected more last night but ratio's were very low. Powdery lake enhanced snow coming down now. Don't think it will add up to much. Still a great storm.