• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion Part 2

Trent

About 3.5" here. Hit the high end of the forecasts nicely. Roads were really bad in the wee hours this morning when I got home, probably could've used an advisory due to the combo of 2-4" of snow, temps in the 10's and a good amount of blowing snow. Over 350 schools closed again today.

CLE extended the LES advisory until 4pm Saturday. Not sure why Geauga would be included, at least the entire county as there isn't one model that brings the snow inland. Strange.

NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM SATURDAY MORNING/...

-- Changed Discussion --

COLDER AIR FILTERING INTO THE REGION WILL CONTINUE INTO THIS EVENING WHICH WILL DESTABILIZE CONDITIONS OVER THE LAKE...SUPPORTING INCREASE LAKE EFFECT DEVELOPMENT. THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR SOME ISOLATED THUNDER BUT BEST CHANCES EAST OF OUR AREA. THE WSW FLOW WILL KEEP ASHTABULA AND ERIE PA COUNTIES UNDER THE BULLSEYE FOR SNOW MOST OF THE NIGHT...WITH THE BEST CAPE AROUND 06Z. COULD SEE HIGHER SNOWFALL RATES AROUND 2"/HR BRIEFLY DURING THIS TIME FRAME. HAVE ADDED ASHTABULA TO THE LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING. LOOKING AT AN ADDITIONAL 3-6" IN THE ADVISORY AND 6-12 IN THE WARNING.

Is there any indication of the winds turning more westerly tonight?  If not, I'm not sure even the north / north-eastern part of Erie County is going to get much more additional snow.  We got jack-hammered IMBY this morning thru about lunch, then the band quickly lifted north up thru the county and is now pretty much over the lake - can see local radar here:  http://www.yourerie.com/weather/pinpoint-doppler

If there is no westerly turn, then I think Erie County, PA is pretty much clear of any more snow.  Also curious with the upgrade of Ashtabula County into a LES warning.

Is there any indication of the winds turning more westerly tonight?  If not, I'm not sure even the north / north-eastern part of Erie County is going to get much more additional snow.  We got jack-hammered IMBY this morning thru about lunch, then the band quickly lifted north up thru the county and is now pretty much over the lake - can see local radar here:  http://www.yourerie.com/weather/pinpoint-doppler

If there is no westerly turn, then I think Erie County, PA is pretty much clear of any more snow.  Also curious with the upgrade of Ashtabula County into a LES warning.

I believe the winds will be turning more sw'erly overnight as the ridge builds in. Congrats on the snow today. I could see the city of Northeast getting hit but not sure about the rest of the county.

Looks like another 1/2" fell after I left this morning. Going to go with a 4.25" total on the day.

Currently snowing lightly in a razor thin band.

On another note, I am 10" behind in snow compared to this time last year. I thought it would be more, but Nov really helped.

Thanks.  Got about 5" snow from 8 to 12ish this morning.  That followed the 4.2" from last night.  Pretty nice week IMBY. From a high of 55 degrees on Sunday and bare ground, have had 27.6" of snow since Sunday night.  About 14" on ground now.

That is what I thought about winds as well.  I don't think a flake is flying in Erie county as of now,  We'll see if anything pushes onshore/anywhere inland - not holding my breath for anything more here.

Looks like cle did up the totals. 3-5" according to the latest map.

Interesting bit about lake ice ;

THE WESTERN THIRD OF LAKE ERIE...FROM THE EASTERN SHORE OF MICHIGAN

TO ABOUT AVON POINT...OHIO...IS MOSTLY ICE COVERED. A THIN STRIP OF

ICE HAS ALSO BEGUN TO FORM JUST A FEW MILES OFFSHORE OF THE SOUTHERN

SHORELINE TOWARDS THE BUFFALO END OF THE LAKE.

3.5" of new snow. Very wet snow. Still snowing lightly.

Same here. Measured 3.7" a few minutes ago. These heavier snows always seem much more substantial, especially with the powder we've had. Hopefully we can add another inch or so today. Seems doable looking at the radar to the west.

Banding has been confined to the lakeshore and over the lake this morning. Might be tough to see another inch around here.

EDIT: Storm total is just under 5". I bet the lakeshore areas have exceeded that as the heaviest bands remained  along and north of the coast most of the morning. Snow has moved east so that should do it... unless we see snow showers from the northerly flow.

Congrats on the snow up there, it hit a day late lol. There's a Huron band that looks poised to move into Lorain and Cuyahoga Counties in an hour or two, we'll see how much moisture it can pick up off the lake.

I take it you are back at OU. Definitely our best synoptic system of the year. Snow consistency makes a big difference. Yeah, too bad the winds are turning ne'erly....otherwise it's a great set up for a Lake Huron fetch. Huron county might jackpot:)

Go Bucks!

Figures this would be a decent hit! I was gone for the weekend and just got home and completely missed this storm here. It appears I had about 5". I'm surprised this wasn't an advisory. Models were pretty much locked in on a 4-6" event for a good 2 days out across the northern tier of counties. Considering all the other advisories issued this winter for non-events, this was definitely the best synoptic snow of the season.

CLE at 30.3" for the season is still 4.7" above the average for the date. Looks like a boring week ahead, so that total should fall back to around normal before the next threat approaches.

The lake will be solid by the end of the week, it's a shame we couldn't have cashed in more from lake effect during December and January.

CLE at 30.3" for the season is still 4.7" above the average for the date. Looks like a boring week ahead, so that total should fall back to around normal before the next threat approaches.

The lake will be solid by the end of the week, it's a shame we couldn't have cashed in more from lake effect during December and January.

It seems every winter when you leave town we get a decent snowfall :). The thin clouds and flurries made for an awesome sunrise this morning.

The next week looks quiet, and seasonable. Yeah, arctic air just doesn't produce big LES totals in this area... too bad the lake will be mostly iced by tomorrow morning.

Visible satellite shows the ice coverage quite nicely this morning, basically Erie, PA and points westward are ice covered.

Just 1 degree shy of a record low this morning, but I did notice many inland locales dipped in the -12 to -20 range under ideal radiational cooling conditions.

Looking at the Great Lakes Snowfall totals thread, there hasn't been a season that has had as much snow up to this point in the past 2 decades that hasn't had at least 50 inches on the season. I think that bodes well, however ice coverage is alarming. How much enhancement can we possibly get with the ice cover extent? With several more cold nights ahead and next week looking cold as well, the ice is probably here through early March.

Last February and March we were fortunate enough to be in an active pattern despite the lack of LES, getting grazed in every direction by storms without a direct hit. Hopefully we'll be as lucky this year, except with a bullseye storm this go around.

Visible satellite shows the ice coverage quite nicely this morning, basically Erie, PA and points westward are ice covered.

Just 1 degree shy of a record low this morning, but I did notice many inland locales dipped in the -12 to -20 range under ideal radiational cooling conditions.

Looking at the Great Lakes Snowfall totals thread, there hasn't been a season that has had as much snow up to this point in the past 2 decades that hasn't had at least 50 inches on the season. I think that bodes well, however ice coverage is alarming. How much enhancement can we possibly get with the ice cover extent? With several more cold nights ahead and next week looking cold as well, the ice is probably here through early March.

Last February and March we were fortunate enough to be in an active pattern despite the lack of LES, getting grazed in every direction by storms without a direct hit. Hopefully we'll be as lucky this year, except with a bullseye storm this go around.

Temp was -4 IMBY this morning. Recovered to 16 now, but clouds moved in around noon so that should be it. Yeah, its pretty amazing how quickly the lake iced over considering how mild December was. Any lake enhancement would certainly be limited, although a windy storm would push the ice around.

The warm up is now looking like a one day shot in the upper 30's. We'll have to rely on synoptic snows the rest of the way. I forgot how many times were grazed by storms last winter.

It was an unusual morning with various levels of radiational cooling around Toledo. At 11z, Toledo ranged from 3 to 8 degrees, it was -1 at Findlay, and Port Clinton (PCW) had a low of -14. Toledo (TOL) reached its low of -2 around midnight, and warmed to 3 by sunrise. Does anyone know if Port Clinton (PCW) is experiencing problems with the ASOS device? This is a very low temperature considering it must be close to the lake.

post-1182-0-07578200-1421263185_thumb.jp

Many stations across north central Ohio were in the -10 to -20 range. Just looking at some personal weather stations around Port Clinton, several dipped to near -10, so that -14 doesn't seem unreasonable. Lake Erie near there is likely frozen solid for several feet. Its warming effect is likely quite muted.

It was an unusual morning with various levels of radiational cooling around Toledo. At 11z, Toledo ranged from 3 to 8 degrees, it was -1 at Findlay, and Port Clinton (PCW) had a low of -14. Toledo (TOL) reached its low of -2 around midnight, and warmed to 3 by sunrise. Does anyone know if Port Clinton (PCW) is experiencing problems with the ASOS device? This is a very low temperature considering it must be close to the lake.

Erie is pretty much ice covered (especially on the west side of the lake). 

Well, PCW airport ASOS has reported some slightly weird things since it came online (less than a year ago?).  Maybe that -14 temperature wasn't one of the weird ones.  I don't remember this ASOS being there before 2014.

http://www.portclintonairport.com/

A similar situation happened at Benton Harbor is SW MI. They stayed clear and hit -15°. That temp was verified by IWX. Surrounding stations didn't bottom out due to cloud cover.