SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA & Fringes - December-January 2014-15

djr5001

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One look at this radar loop should tell you why we wanted this storm to close off and stall further southwest than it did for PA to get the good snows. With that said, the CCX radar doesn't actually look too bad. It's weird having to check BGM and BUF radars to see what is "upstream" from us.

Expect more sporadic bouts of snow the farther south in PA one goes. Further north above I-80, and especially once to the US 6 corridor is where we will see more consistent snowfall. The Laurels and NW mountains will get into the action as well as the NW flow picks up a bit of lake enhancement and especially orographic forcing. Might have to watch for areas of enhanced amounts in those areas and adjacent central counties as some of these bands eventually spin southwest enough to pick up the influence of said lakes and orographic forcing. 

Glad I didn't expect anything out of this storm. A hard one to predict even small amounts in our area.

The NE  10-12 years ago that was to give lsv a foot or more gave zero to Western Lancaster Co . Eastern  Lancaster co and Chester  Co got 8 plus. I remember getting out of the cruiser at 1 am to take a leak and see stars. Cleanest  shut off I ever seen on radar. Anyone remember the exact date of that. It has been talked about in the past here.

Was that 12/30/2000?

I think so but not sure. I   had to go to sta computers to look at the radar. man how spoiled we are now .

That was an unbelievable storm here where I am-I remember it snowing about 2-3" per hour for maybe 5 hours and ending up with 15-16" total. But it had a huge cutoff once you went west of the Delaware River. Another late developing miller B that crossed eastern LI but in a much colder airmass. East of here maybe 40 miles was mostly rain and then a dryslot.

Been under tail of that band from State College southeast in direction of Harrisburg for over an hour now... Temp dropped from 38 to 32 and I have an inch on deck/grass but still nothing accumulating on driveway/road... seems like it is just missing Linglestown to the west and anyone know if accumulating in the city?

Models tonight seem to think the snow will pinwheel west and south to an extent and might catch much of the central/NW portions of the state. If so there could be some lucky places that tack on a couple or few more inches. Looks like snow's developing again around State College and northeast of there has been snowing for a few hours now. Looking upstream towards BUF/ROC, snow is expanding there so that should all head south eventually.

So far this morning we have 2.25" here in Tamaqua on paved surfaces. 4" in the grass. I guess we'd probably have about 3-3.5 had it been cold enough to accumulate right from the start...

So it DOES precipitate in Tamaqua? Haha. I was wondering how you were doing, I-81 from the I-78 junction all the way up through WB-Scranton has looked like a pretty rough drive on the 511 cameras all evening. 

Archived