• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 9-10 Coastal Storm Threat

Zelocita Weather

You cannot use an ensemble mean in this situation because there is way too much variance between solutions. A mean will bring you an ideal situation with a broad MSLP near the benchmark and a cold 850mb temperature. But the individual solutions are more volatile. When you average out a 51 member ensemble, you're looking for consistency in track and intensity...not specifics. 

There are many members over LI and New England. There some strong eastern outliers appear to be causing further east slp on the mean.

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are many members over LI and New England. There some strong eastern outliers appear to be causing further east slp on the mean.

Yeah, precisely what I was talking about. You have to look at individual members if you want to talk about specifics. The mean is just an easy way out if you're going to talk specifics regarding it. 

Prime example was the GEFS prior to the early February storm in 2010 that brought SNJ 9 trillion inches. Everyone kept referencing the mean QPF, which brought 0.75" liquid to EWR. When you looked at the individuals, two of them had 2"+ QPF in NYC and the rest had almost nothing. This is the type of analysis necessary when referencing ensembles for specifics. 

Yeah, precisely what I was talking about. You have to look at individual members if you want to talk about specifics. The mean is just an easy way out if you're going to talk specifics regarding it. 

Prime example was the GEFS prior to the early February storm in 2010 that brought SNJ 9 trillion inches. Everyone kept referencing the mean QPF, which brought 0.75" liquid to EWR. When you looked at the individuals, two of them had 2"+ QPF in NYC and the rest had almost nothing. This is the type of analysis necessary when referencing ensembles for specifics. 

Bingo.  The median QPF in these situations referenced would have been superior.  I remember that early Feb 2010 debacle (heartbreak for NYC weens like me) and the typical hoopla around the SREF mean and whatnot.  

Perhaps we could quantify the median longitude at which the storm crosses a given latitude (40 N?) and use that.  But yeah, the mean is pretty meaningless (no pun intended, though it makes for a pretty sweet pun).

Bingo.  The median QPF in these situations referenced would have been superior.  I remember that early Feb 2010 debacle (heartbreak for NYC weens like me) and the typical hoopla around the SREF mean and whatnot.  

Perhaps we could quantify the median longitude at which the storm crosses a given latitude (40 N?) and use that.  But yeah, the mean is pretty meaningless (no pun intended, though it makes for a pretty sweet pun).

And we were so close to our first 40" calendar month.

10 Top Snowiest Months                        36.9    Feb 201036.0    Jan 201130.5    Mar 189629.6    Dec 1947         29.0    Feb 2014         27.9    Feb 193427.4    Jan 192527.0    Dec 187226.9    Feb 200626.4    Feb 199426.3    Feb 1926           26.1    Feb 2003 & Jan 199625.5    Mar 1916

And we were so close to our first 40" calendar month.

10 Top Snowiest Months                        36.9    Feb 201036.0    Jan 201130.5    Mar 189629.6    Dec 194727.9    Feb 193427.4    Jan 192527.0    Dec 187226.9    Feb 200626.4    Feb 199426.3    Feb 1926           26.1    Feb 2003 & Jan 199625.5    Mar 1916

Indeed.

You stats devotees care more about that than I, I only remember the heartache and hangover I had the next morning.

Indeed.

You stats devotees care more about that than I, I only remember the heartache and hangover I had the next morning.

is the 2010 storm , that beautiful 27 incher ( the all time for CPK) ? Near JFK I NEVER EVER saw a snowfall rate like that for hours: 3-5 inches EASILY for 3-4 hours around 4am- 8am

is the 2010 storm , that beautiful 27 incher ( the all time for CPK) ? Near JFK I NEVER EVER saw a snowfall rate like that for hours: 3-5 inches EASILY for 3-4 hours around 4am- 8am

last time ive seen prolific snowfall rates and with thunder was 12/25/02. Im envious when NYC and mt. earthlight seem to get the best forcing and lifting while im in subsidence. its a punch to the gut!

last time ive seen prolific snowfall rates and with thunder was 12/25/02. Im envious when NYC and mt. earthlight seem to get the best forcing and lifting while im in subsidence. its a punch to the gut!

Too bad we couldn't have tweaked the laws of physics a bit for that 13 inch special last summer in Islip to be all snow.  :D

Before it went to rain last febs super morning dump had 3+ rates as did January 11 late night super dump. The later had amazing thunder sleet with 60mph gusts in long beach.

As far as putting it all to ether for thunder snow yeah it's been a while on the island. I remember it a couple times in the 90s not sure of the dates.

Before it went to rain last febs super morning dump had 3+ rates as did January 11 late night super dump. The later had amazing thunder sleet with 60mph gusts in long beach.

As far as putting it all to ether for thunder snow yeah it's been a while on the island. I remember it a couple times in the 90s not sure of the dates.

the dump during February's snowstorm I wasn't home for. I was in selden and missed the heavy rates and I was pissed! im always either away or the best dynamics are around me but not over me :violin:

I think you are overrating those two spots just a bit...neither Union County NJ nor Manhattan Island are what you would call "good" snow locations by any stretch of the imagination.

I think you are overrating those two spots just a bit...neither Union County NJ nor Manhattan Island are what you would call "good" snow locations by any stretch of the imagination.

Last 14 years they had about 130 more inches of snow out on Long Island than in NYC...

Total Snowfall

2000-01 through 2013-14 (Last 14 Years)

Boston / Logan Airport: 679.8 inches / average 48.56 inches

Brookhaven Lab, L.I. / Upton: 596.1 inches / average 42.58 inches

New York City / Central Park: 467.5 inches / average 33.39 inches

Philadelphia / International Airport: 389.9 inches / average 27.85 inches

Baltimore / BWI Airport: 292.0 inches / average 20.86 inches

Washington / Reagan Airport: 214.7 inches / average 15.34 inches

How about the Feb. 2006 storm?    Remember thunder but did not see lightning.   Also going back to a January snowfall in the early 80's there were some daytime flashes and  sharp raps of thunder that sent me and fellow workers rushing to the windows to watch.  

How about the Feb. 2006 storm?    Remember thunder but did not see lightning.   Also going back to a January snowfall in the early 80's there were some daytime flashes and  sharp raps of thunder that sent me and fellow workers rushing to the windows to watch.  

nope 06' was a NYC storm that delivered the NYC 24 hr snowfall record. I got around 15" from that was in subsidence with occasional heavier bursts. I remember the backlash was said to produce an additional 4-6" for me and I got a whopping 1.5" instead :lol:

Upton

AS THE LOW REACHES PEAK INTENSITY...WOULD EXPECT DYNAMIC COOLING WITH DEVELOPING COMMA HEAD PRECIP TO THE NORTH/WEST OF THE SFC LOW TO QUICKLY CHANGE PRECIP BACK TO ACCUMULATING SNOW NORTH/WEST OF NYC TUE EVENING AND CONTINUE INTO WED MORNING...WITH SOME POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL. FARTHER SOUTH/EAST...A MORE GRADUAL CHANGE TO MIXED PRECIP AND THEN LIGHT SNOW FOR NYC METRO...COASTAL SECTIONS AND SE CT FOR LATE TUE NIGHT INTO WED MORNING APPEARS MORE LIKELY. EXACT SFC LOW TRACK AND INTENSITY ARE UNCERTAIN... BUT THERE IS ALSO POTENTIAL FOR A PD OF STRONG E-NE WINDS SOME TIME TUE NIGHT THAT COULD IMPACT COASTAL SECTIONS IF THE LOW TRACKS JUST TO THE SOUTH.

no they generally aren't but they've jackpotted a lot more since 03' than my current location on LI.

You must be in a very bad spot for snow then.  Did you look at the list I posted?

You must be in a very bad spot for snow then.  Did you look at the list I posted?

not just for snow. I am a convective graveyard. many know me around here and how its torture year round :lol:

back on topic though, this storm is gonna be fun to track regardless and is gonna be a powerhouse. looking forward to seeing some prolific snowfall totals from up north in NE/NNE

The upper level trough to the east lifts out too quickly, so the big high pressure to our north moves too far east too quickly.  In addition, the digging trough to our west digs just slightly too far west, so I would think this storm will hug the coast giving the NYC metro a ton of rain and wind.  Behind the storm NYC may see a few wet snow showers,  This is my current thinking on this storm at this time, I wish it would be snow it would of been nice for the holidays.

The upper level trough to the east lifts out too quickly, so the big high pressure to our north moves too far east too quickly.  In addition, the digging trough to our west digs just slightly too far west, so I would think this storm will hug the coast giving the NYC metro a ton of rain and wind.  Behind the storm NYC may see a few wet snow showers,  This is my current thinking on this storm at this time, I wish it would be snow it would of been nice for the holidays.

pretty much agree although i am intrigued for a good storm regardless in spite of the snow potential being low at the coast. 

Yeah, I wouldn't expect more than some flurries or a snow shower near the coast as the storm exits-surface air is too warm, horrible high pressure spot and nothing to stop a coast hugger. Could be a few inches or more well northwest. Another rinse/repeat generally from the Thanksgiving Eve storm.

Shades of 07/08. NNE looks to cash in big time again. With our Nw suburbs being right on the line between feast and famine.

I'm going to try and make it up to Vermont next weekend as conditions should be great as the torch is just beginning up there. Nothing like ridding on a low 30s day with wall to wall snow!

At least the mountains are scoring this winter. 4 hours and it's a great great season so far

Shades of 07/08. NNE looks to cash in big time again. With our Nw suburbs being right on the line between feast and famine.

I'm going to try and make it up to Vermont next weekend as conditions should be great as the torch is just beginning up there. Nothing like ridding on a low 30s day with wall to wall snow!

At least the mountains are scoring this winter. 4 hours and it's a great great season so far

There are just fewer cards in our deck in the winter which make it possible to have heavy snow. Even my alma mater PSU has some snow events and an ice event under its belt. Hopefully the colder pattern late this month works out and we can have a snow event down here. In the meantime enjoy Vermont.

Archived