joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 9-10 storm threat

ORH_wxman

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol but you might want to check those populations numbers, have you ever left your city and gone anywhere besides Moms basement at the lake?

It's Sunday and no body really knows how this plays out in 2 days. That's how unusual it is. Remember this? way before these national Mets started throwing out 1992 we threw that type of atmosphere scenario out on the table here at AMWX 5 days ago.

Yea I am thinking of the dynamics.lol

Credit to James Nichols.

This has the look of the BWI hits a couple years back where the models consistently (and accurately it turned out) showed the stall and just pummeling the area.  I kept waiting in vain for the models to show a stall a couple hundred miles north.  Fast forward a few years and here I am wishing for a stall 50 miles SE.  Alas.

Enjoy the cool weather today.  This is what was going to feed into our big snows when it was slated for a start tomorrow.  Alas.

26.5/15

Going to be a tough week personally.

Big-time OT.

My dad passed early this morning. Age 91 would have turned 92 on the solstice, fitting it be Dec 7th. A WW2 vet. Still getting word out to the whole family. This is my first and only mention on social media. I consider many here my friend and in many ways extended family.  Tears from heaven all week...fitting.

I'd be much more comfortable if I were up another 1000 ft in elevation... the evolution here is very reminiscent of the February 2010 cyclones that occluded and dumped an incredible amount of elevation snowfall in the Catskills and Adirondacks, but very little in the valley. Don't think sleet or freezing rain will be a significant concern with this event since the surface low will be vertically stacked, meaning little chance of a substantial cold layer to allow substantial sleet accumulation. Probably elevation dependent rain or snow and not much other frozen precip. 

Agree on the comparison.  I was down in the lower HV for the Feb 2010 storm.  I was in Putnam County, which is just east of Orange County, where I believe a state of emergency was declared.  That was the most fascinating winter storm I have ever experienced.  Heavy snow made it all the way to the river level (just above sea level) where about 12 inches accumulated.  There was about 18" at 400ft and over 30" above 1000ft.  The snow was elevation dependent but much moreso longitudinally dependent.  15 miles east of where I was at 800' got very little snow.  The rain/snow cutoff was basically in the middle of Putnam County, and it lingered there in a N-S orientation, which is a situation I have never seen in 30 years.

Albany downslopes worse than the lower HV on a NE wind.  But I also think it can snow right to the valley if the moisture firehoses into the region at the right angle and we are just far enough west.  I want to be in the Helderbergs for this.

Sooo sorry about your loss :(

Big-time OT.

My dad passed early this morning. Age 91 would have turned 92 on the solstice, fitting it be Dec 7th. A WW2 vet. Still getting word out to the whole family. This is my first and only mention on social media. I consider many here my friend and in many ways extended family. Tears from heaven all week...fitting.

sorry to hear ...RIP

Big-time OT.

My dad passed early this morning. Age 91 would have turned 92 on the solstice, fitting it be Dec 7th. A WW2 vet. Still getting word out to the whole family. This is my first and only mention on social media. I consider many here my friend and in many ways extended family.  Tears from heaven all week...fitting.

Big-time OT.

I am so sorry--I hope you and your family can find comfort.

Big-time OT.

So sorry Don! Never easy to lose your dad.

If we could only get this a little further east, It could be a good dumping

I'm pretty resigned to the fact that the low-level CAD is going to lose out and that our best bet is to romp on the front end and then follow your member name. I'll consider it a win if there's a net gain.

And I offer my condolences as well Don. Not that it makes it any easier, but almost 92 is a great, long life.

Big-time OT.

My dad passed early this morning. Age 91 would have turned 92 on the solstice, fitting it be Dec 7th. A WW2 vet. Still getting word out to the whole family. This is my first and only mention on social media. I consider many here my friend and in many ways extended family. Tears from heaven all week...fitting.

Wow. Sorry to hear this. My thoughts are with you.

Archived