• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 9-10 storm threat

ORH_wxman

Is this similar to Feb 1983?  I remember a huge high over Ontario and Quebec.  The big warm-up started the next morning.  In SWCT the storm started in the evening...that day was in the teens with a strong NE wind.  Of course the syncopy between the storm and the high was better in 83, I think it was an Archambault with a decaying -nao.

That was  a Miller A which crushed the entire East coast

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was  a Miller A which crushed the entire East coast

Except NNE.  Same for 12/92, lots of wind, little/no snow, while 125 miles SW folks were buried.  Not Buffalo-LES sharp cutoff, but still pretty abrupt.  But neither 83 nor 92 had been forecast to impact NNE, and so far this one is different.

1983  1"or less in ALB, 6" 25 miles south, 12" 45 miles south, 20" 90 miles south.. ...  That kind of cutoff. Aligned WSW to ENE.

Except NNE.  Same for 12/92, lots of wind, little/no snow, while 125 miles SW folks were buried.  Not Buffalo-LES sharp cutoff, but still pretty abrupt.  But neither 83 nor 92 had been forecast to impact NNE, and so far this one is different.

I think questions still remain with the overall involvement of the arctic jet stream, which remains bottled up over Canada.  The GFS and most models still want to phase the northern stream energy with the arctic jet energy that dives out of central Canada within the domain of the Polar Vortex, not associated with the Polar Vortex.  As well all know there is energy that rides around the various jet streams within the overall North American flow.  One is the Sub-tropical jet which infuses the moisture and energy from the Gulf of Mexico and Southwestern Atlantic Ocean into the overall system.  Second we have the northern stream which carries with it the overall polar/pacific energy which is the overall trough that ends up in the end driving through the system while the arctic jet energy that gets involved dives into the trough with the very cold air in the mid levels turning the initial rain event into a backside snow event which could pile up if given the right setup ie: the February 8/9th 2013 blizzard where Cape Cod got roughly 6-12" of snow after the initial changeover to rain in the middle of the storm.  I'm not saying this will be anywhere close to the magnitude of that blizzard, but the backside snows could be similar in nature.  Therefore we need to see the polar and arctic jet energies phase further southwest over the OH Valley, rather than over LK Ontario.

I think questions still remain with the overall involvement of the arctic jet stream, which remains bottled up over Canada.  The GFS and most models still want to phase the northern stream energy with the arctic jet energy that dives out of central Canada within the domain of the Polar Vortex, not associated with the Polar Vortex.  As well all know there is energy that rides around the various jet streams within the overall North American flow.  One is the Sub-tropical jet which infuses the moisture and energy from the Gulf of Mexico and Southwestern Atlantic Ocean into the overall system.  Second we have the northern stream which carries with it the overall polar/pacific energy which is the overall trough that ends up in the end driving through the system while the arctic jet energy that gets involved dives into the trough with the very cold air in the mid levels turning the initial rain event into a backside snow event which could pile up if given the right setup ie: the February 8/9th 2013 blizzard where Cape Cod got roughly 6-12" of snow after the initial changeover to rain in the middle of the storm.  I'm not saying this will be anywhere close to the magnitude of that blizzard, but the backside snows could be similar in nature.  Therefore we need to see the polar and arctic jet energies phase further southwest over the OH Valley, rather than over LK Ontario.

Not at all. There was far more moisture on the backside of the blizzard which doesn't make these comparable. The vorticity was far more impressive as well during the blizzard.

I didn't say you were calling 6-12 b/c we both know that won't happen but it's still apples to oranges imo.

Not if the models were further east with the track of the surface low, it would be a colder solution, I don't think the coastal plain will escape without some rainfall, but maybe it could be a lot less than currently modeled.

Archived