• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2014-15 Banter Thread

Stormlover74

Doorman you've proven Ncep products to be quite robust, even superior at times. What do you think these great American products will show come late Jan Feb?

Feel free to use your crystal 8 ball.

3.5 grams of meth or coke....... :stun: 

........now that's a great american product ,right there   LOL

16.5 median FTW  

if we are  < 3  for the month

1033mb  Greenland  

http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/UA/OPC_ATL.gif

this

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/44997-december-medlong-range-disco/?view=findpost&p=3206166

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always considered Veruca a role model...along with Blair Warner...who I always felt possessed a certain je ne sais quoi that Blair Waldorf was lacking...

Currently 43 F on the N. Shore of central Long Island.  A light breeze out of the NE blows from time to time at less than 5 mph.  The current snow depth is 0.0 inches. 

That young lady couldn't be your role model. No one could, even from afar (and well in pespective), fall in love with a Veruca type. You, i feel, are qute different from that template. Besides if you came from Over The Rainbow, that story would have had a much more enjoyable ending. If you ran the chocolate factory you would have the Oompaa Loompaas enrolled in Penn. State as Met. majors with Tornado chasing for a Spring Brake activity. 

I love your Posts, thank you.

Rich

Serious question. When was the last time the sun was out? I honestly can't remember seeing it in the month of December more than 2 or 3 times. If its not raining its been overcast.

It has been awhile but we really needed the rain and still do. The sun will be out by Thursday afternoon and Friday will be sunny.

I somehow doubt you would be complaining about the lack of sun if mostly snow had fallen.

It has been awhile but we really needed the rain and still do. The sun will be out by Thursday afternoon and Friday will be sunny.

I somehow doubt you would be complaining about the lack of sun if mostly snow had fallen.

Oh, Im not complaining about the lack of snow in any way. Its just been so dreary for the last few weeks it starts to wear on you, snow or no snow.

Oh, Im not complaining about the lack of snow in any way. Its just been so dreary for the last few weeks it starts to wear on you, snow or no snow.

At least it's happening now and not during the warmer months when people are trying to take outdoor vacations. It was a dry Spring and and an even dryer Summer so you knew things were going to balance out eventually. Thankfully most of the rain has been spread out enough and only briefly heavy.

...d.sutherland sounds ready to throw in the towel..not quite..but paints a realistic view of

what has happened and whats ahead ( AO going to +5.0 by early jan. )..disappointing for sure.

+5?  Wow.  That would be quite the opposite of what most forecasts looked like

-

good writeup by Don and interesting note of a cold Nov in 91-92 only to be followed by a warm winter

-

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/44807-winter-2014-2015-medium-term-discussion/page-7

It really suits how depressing this month has been to all winter lovers and it'll even be more depressing when the winds and heavy rains start cranking tomorrow with temps near 60F.

As far as this winter goes I guess having such a cold November CONUS wide was actually more of an omen rather than a blessing and if it verified warm initially then perhaps our whole pattern would actually be going with the plan. Instead the cold November is following some of the infamous and ugly winters of the past.

+5? Wow. That would be quite the opposite of what most forecasts looked like

-

good writeup by Don and interesting note of a cold Nov in 91-92 only to be followed by a warm winter

-

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/44807-winter-2014-2015-medium-term-discussion/page-7

Nov 91 was not cold though. Was around +1 and we torched the end of the month. Not saying we can't repeat that winter. All options seem to be on table. Including the 1 and done winter of 94-95

Nov 91 was not cold though. Was around +1 and we torched the end of the month. Not saying we can't repeat that winter. All options seem to be on table. Including the 1 and done winter of 94-95

I wonder if he was talking nationally?   Agree that all options are on the table outside of 01-02 and 11-12-seems too stormy for those years to occur again.

I wonder if he was talking nationally? Agree that all options are on the table outside of 01-02 and 11-12-seems too stormy for those years to occur again.

97-98 was very stormy but strong el nino kept everything driving rainstorms until late march we managed 3" on the back side of a departing noreaster. I would think the stormy pattern would mean we'd have to eventually cash in on something. An 83 repeat would probably satisfy most here even if it was just one storm

97-98 was very stormy but strong el nino kept everything driving rainstorms until late march we managed 3" on the back side of a departing noreaster. I would think the stormy pattern would mean we'd have to eventually cash in on something. An 83 repeat would probably satisfy most here even if it was just one storm

I'd take that in a heartbeat.

...d.sutherland sounds ready to throw in the towel..not quite..but paints a realistic view of

what has happened and whats ahead ( AO going to +5.0 by early jan. )..disappointing for sure.

To reduce the risk of confusion, I also noted that it's still premature to conclude that we're headed for a warm winter. The AO forecast has been quite volatile lately. In general, the extended guidance has been erratic. I do think there's some possibility of a warm winter (perhaps between a 1-in-4 to 1-in-3 probability right now). Should the strongly positive AO develop, then the odds of such an outcome would increase. I'm still not convinced that's the most likely scenario, but could, of course, be wrong.

Another thing to bear in mind, with larger implications than the upcoming winter, would be the possibility that an AO+ or strongly AO+ winter would undermine the early promise with regard to the Snow Advance Index tied to October changes in Eurasian Snow Cover. The question as to whether the early strong results were a product of small sample size would gain importance. The physical explanation for the SAI seems sound, so I'm still inclined to believe that in the end the AO will become predominantly negative.

To reduce the risk of confusion, I also noted that it's still premature to conclude that we're headed for a warm winter. The AO forecast has been quite volatile lately. In general, the extended guidance has been erratic. I do think there's some possibility of a warm winter (perhaps between a 1-in-4 to 1-in-3 probability right now). Should the strongly positive AO develop, then the odds of such an outcome would increase. I'm still not convinced that's the most likely scenario, but could, of course, be wrong.

Another thing to bear in mind, with larger implications than the upcoming winter, would be the possibility that an AO+ or strongly AO+ winter would undermine the early promise with regard to the Snow Advance Index tied to October changes in Eurasian Snow Cover. The question as to whether the early strong results were a product of small sample size would gain importance. The physical explanation for the SAI seems sound, so I'm still inclined to believe that in the end the AO will become predominantly negative.

If a +AO were to occur this winter with the extreme Eurasian snow cover, it would be unprecedented in meteorological terms.

Fwiw great dialogue going on

Between Tom fuller (tombo from philly board) and Anthony masiello on Twitter. Most of u probably have been reading but figured I'd share just incase anyone was interested:

https://twitter.com/antmasiello/status/547404378580471808

Sent from my iPhone

What is so great. Couple of weenies talking about what could or may occur.."yawn"

I would rather twitter with Santa Claus

Archived